House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SNACR

Point Break Remake

Surely this act of cultural vandalism makes Cecilia Gimenez and the Taliban look like amateurs?

I don't know if it's just me being melodramatic but I find the whole tawdry spectacle analogous to making a giant clay dildo, on a potter's wheel, then proceeding to exhume Patrick Swayze's corpse and violently anally raping him with it.

.... making a giant clay dildo, on a potter's wheel, then proceeding to exhume Patrick Swayze's corpse and violently anally raping him with it.

I think they may have changed a few subplots if that's the case.

Why do they keep trying to remake films from the past? Point Break worked because of Kathryn Bigelow's direction, the same as The Terminator worked because of James Cameron's direction etc

All these remakes are 99% dross, just a cynical moneyspinning cash in.

I was thinking earlier how they don't make good old slasher movies anymore like Friday 13th, Nightmare on Elm St etc i wasn't really a big fan but i just noticed that type of movie seems to have died out?

Surely this act of cultural vandalism makes Cecilia Gimenez and the Taliban look like amateurs?

I don't know if it's just me being melodramatic but I find the whole tawdry spectacle analogous to making a giant clay dildo, on a potter's wheel, then proceeding to exhume Patrick Swayze's corpse and violently anally raping him with it.

:lol: I'm tryin hard to think of a remake that was better than the original..nothing yet.

Reminds me of a story my dad told me.

He was a builder , and told the plasterer to go & mix up the plaster from the bag in the clients bedroom ,as his current batch needed some more plaster. A few hours later the plasterer complained that the plaster has not gone off, and it must be a dodgy batch.

My Dad went to the bedroom to investigate, to find the plasterer had mixed the clients dead husbands ashes in to the mix !

Perhaps it's a failure to educate the kids to watch & appreciate older films, so they don't waste their cinema / dvd / online download money on a shite remake .

:lol: I'm tryin hard to think of a remake that was better than the original..nothing yet.

Solaris (the original just dragged on too much for me).

The Fly.

Give me a few seconds and I'm sure I can think of others :)

Thank you for de-mystifying WTF this thread is all about!

There's a brilliant answer to your question here.

I don't agree with his view there. It's overcomplicating a simple issue. The real problem is that there are only so many stories to be told and commercially it makes much more sense to pick something off the shelf with am existing brand than it does to start something from scratch.

That doesn't excuse terrible remakes though.

The answer is, basically ignore most of what is coming out of mainstream Hollywood these days. Like most of TV, it's shite.

But there's decades of wonderful movies from all over the world to watch, and interesting movies being made all the time that don't have the popular appeal of the mainstream stuff but are much, much better.

You won't have time to watch it all before ya snuff it, so no need to waste any time on most of the Hollywood stuff!

The answer is, basically ignore most of what is coming out of mainstream Hollywood these days. Like most of TV, it's shite.

But there's decades of wonderful movies from all over the world to watch, and interesting movies being made all the time that don't have the popular appeal of the mainstream stuff but are much, much better.

You won't have time to watch it all before ya snuff it, so no need to waste any time on most of the Hollywood stuff!

Like anything else, it's all a question of what you're into and you don't have to choose Hollywood or independent.

Edit: Most indie film is also shite by the way. I'd bet Hollywood has a better hit rate of good films than indie, but the indie you see/hear about is pretty much self selecting. And saying most TV is shite is like saying most books are shite. It almost goes without saying.

+1

The antidote to hollywood:

https://mubi.com/

+1

The antidote to hollywood:

https://mubi.com/

I had mubi for a bit. Had to give it up because the films kept freezing when I streamed then. It doesn't let you vary the streaming quality, or do that thing where it downgrades the quality on the fly to keep the film playing. It would let me download them to my tablet, but wouldn't let me use Chromecast to watch the download on my TV. Very frustrating. So I wouldn't bother unless you've got a top notch internet connection. (I'm on fiber with Virgin)

Don't see the point in a remake when the original is still 100% viable (and better).

It's like remaking Die Hard or Speed. Totally pointless.

Some of the old war films can scrub up well with a modern remake, The Thin Red Line springs to mind although that had Terrence Malik directing and an all star cast.

Apparently Hollywood megastars were falling over themselves to get a bit part in the film.

Having pondered this for a while. I think the Nicolas Cage Bad Lieutenant is better than the Harvey Keitel one although I'm not even sure it really qualifies.