House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Saving For a Space Ship

French Law Forbids Food Waste By Supermarkets

French law forbids food waste by supermarkets

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/feb/04/french-law-forbids-food-waste-by-supermarkets

France has become the first country in the world to ban supermarkets from throwing away or destroying unsold food, forcing them instead to donate it to charities and food banks.

Under a law passed unanimously by the French senate, as of Wednesday large shops will no longer bin good quality food approaching its best-before date. Charities will be able to give out millions more free meals each year to people struggling to afford to eat.

The law follows a grassroots campaign in France by shoppers, anti-poverty campaigners and those opposed to food waste. The campaign, which led to a petition, was started by the councillor Arash Derambarsh. In December a bill on the issue passed through the national assembly, having been introduced by the former food industry minister Guillaume Garot.

The law has been welcomed by food banks, which will now begin the task of finding the extra volunteers, lorries, warehouse and fridge space to deal with an increase in donations from shops and food companies.Campaigners now hope to persuade the EU to adopt similar legislation across member states....

Good...love food hate waste.....or reduce it and sell it to customers who do not mind buying ripe fruit, ready veg and anything on or around the best before day...

....brings new customers to store where they will purchase other full price goods....win,win.

A university colleague used to scrounge thrown out vegetables from the back of the supermarket. I guess they throw away a lot. I always look for the "end date" counter.

A university colleague used to scrounge thrown out vegetables from the back of the supermarket. I guess they throw away a lot. I always look for the "end date" counter.

Sure Pinny, a "university colleague" ;)

Surely by now you know not to be ashamed of frugality round these ere parts!

Sure Pinny, a "university colleague" ;)

Surely by now you know not to be ashamed of frugality round these ere parts!

Ha ha, not me, old chum. I lived on kebabs, and pies! :(

The market is the most efficient way to reduce waste.

When governments make these kinds of laws there are always perverse outcomes. They'll probably end up force feeding homeless people with mouldy cabbages.

The market is the most efficient way to reduce waste.

When governments make these kinds of laws there are always perverse outcomes. They'll probably end up force feeding homeless people with mouldy cabbages.

That sounds so like "Les Miserable", the unrecognised Northern comic, of the 30s! :(

To reduce waste they'll order less. Which means probably less food on the shelves.

Yes. It could be like Russia in the 70s!

Cue the bureaucracy.

When I asked the staff at Aldi who were scanning a load of stuff to dump (perfectly good veg and bread that would be fine the next day but was technically out) whether they could give it away they said that they couldn't do so "by law".

Repeal that bleedin' law, don't pass yet another you control frwaks.

Cue the bureaucracy.

When I asked the staff at Aldi who were scanning a load of stuff to dump (perfectly good veg and bread that would be fine the next day but was technically out) whether they could give it away they said that they couldn't do so "by law".

It's mad because it's still food, and you could give it away.

That sounds so like "Les Miserable", the unrecognised Northern comic, of the 30s! :(

I was watching the final scene of 'Les Miserables' the other night and was disappointed to see such a continuity mistake in an otherwise brilliantly performed scene.

Cue the bureaucracy.

They'd probably be up for a good ole lawsuit if you got ill given today's compensation culture and food handling laws, etc.

No reason the larger supermarkets should be ordering a lot more stock than they can sell these days given their integrated EPOS/ordering systems, MI, etc., etc.

As far as I can tell, ALL food ends up as waste.

Guest eight

As far as I can tell, ALL food ends up as waste.

All together now......

"AAAAAAAAAARSENE WENGER!"

Cue the bureaucracy.

They are right for perishable food (use by) not so for best before. The rules are quite explicit under food labeling regulations. The French law will only apply to best before food as to supply food with an expired use by would contravene E.U legislation which just like in the U.K has supremacy.

It is shocking though when you see it. I still vividly remember the supermarket I worked at back in the day chucking two large commercial bin loads of strawberry punnets because they were past date, even though it was obvious the strawberries themselves were still in good nick. Does seem pretty criminal.

It is shocking though when you see it. I still vividly remember the supermarket I worked at back in the day chucking two large commercial bin loads of strawberry punnets because they were past date, even though it was obvious the strawberries themselves were still in good nick. Does seem pretty criminal.

Of interest why didn't you just have them? I can understand why they can't let a customer (me) have them but if a member of staff says "Let me throw them away for you" (wink wink) then you just would do, surely.

I don't (for example) steal stationery from work but if somebody's throwing out something I want, like a ring binder, I have it off them.

Of interest why didn't you just have them? I can understand why they can't let a customer (me) have them but if a member of staff says "Let me throw them away for you" (wink wink) then you just would do, surely.

I don't (for example) steal stationery from work but if somebody's throwing out something I want, like a ring binder, I have it off them.

Staff can't have what's thrown away because people will start damaging/throwing away stuff they want.

"Oh dear I have just dropped 24 cans of larger on the floor and some of them are dented!"

"It's ok John I'll take them home, save wasting them. wink wink! Here have this TV that I've just accidentally scratched on the back. Nudge nudge!"