House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Economic Exile

How Much Do You Pay For A Haircut?

Many female acquaintances of mine pay in the region of £70 to get their hair done regularly.

I haven't been to a hairdressers for 9 years now. Up until then I had a shorter style and went every couple of months to a hairdresser to have it cut and blow dried which cost about £15. I used to dye it myself for a fiver every couple of months.

I've never particularly liked going to the hairdresser and having to make small talk so inspired by general cost cutting and self sufficiency I decided to look after my own hair. Fortunately I love wearing hats and that came in handy in the early experimental days :lol: and when I stopped dyeing it.

My hair is grey now, longer and I love it. I use a mars coat rake, which is for dogs :lol: on the bottom half and just do some slight trimming at the ends. My only expense is a couple of bottles of grey hair lightening shampoo a year which I use sparingly. Very low maintenance, just trim as required and wash and leave to dry about once a week.

My hair looks quite similar to the singer Adele's new hairstyle. I wonder how much she paid for her hair do?

1450092045_adele-x-factor-new-hair-pictu

I had my head shaved in 2003 for a fiver. I have never visted one since! :blink:

Visited where?

A concentration camp?

Euginios! I think they were foreign! :blink:

My wife paid £80 yesterday. My barber's about 6 or 7 quid, I can't remember exactly.

From the age of 16 up to about 35 I cut my own hair. Well initially I didn't cut it and had very long hair, then I shaved my head for years. Now I get a proper haircut because I decided to look more "corporate" for work. Pretty soon I'll be back on the clippers because I'm turning into a slaphead :)

I reckon Adele uses an Argos home hair-cutting kit.

I know a couple of women who pay an amazing £80 or so a month; though to be fair both of them do have great-looking hair.

I've been a clippers man for decades, more for the convenience. It's like buying a washing machine so you don't have to spend every Sunday morning sat in the laundrette.

I reckon Adele uses an Argos home hair-cutting kit.

I know a couple of women who pay an amazing £80 or so a month; though to be fair both of them do have great-looking hair.

I've been a clippers man for decades, more for the convenience. It's like buying a washing machine so you don't have to spend every Sunday morning sat in the laundrette.

I doubt it. She looks as if her make up has been professionally done so unlikely she's done her own hair.

Yes the women I know who spend £70ish have great looking hair too. I just don't have that much to spend so that's why I've graduated to DIY.

It's great to hear about others doing their own hair. Same as you I like the convenience and I've got to know the natural ways of my hair and how to keep it looking clean and tidy and in good condition. One other thing I do every couple of weeks is put a few drops of jojoba oil on my hands and run them through my hair. Jojoba oil is the only thing I'll put on my skin.

The wife and I had been cutting each other`s hair since 1992.

Then finally about 3 years ago I refused to cut it....too many disagreements .

Now I use a Philips machine.

I guess I`ve saved enough to buy a V8 !

£5-£10 quid.

Pretty standard for a blokes cut?

I think the wife pays at least double that but for some reason women's hair always seems to demand that kind of premium.

I know she always has her highlights done abroad because it's half the price and done much better than anywhere she's found locally.

I bought an electric clipper in 2007. My wife was critical of the way the local barber who charged about £5 or £6 cut my hair. She wanted me to use her hairdresser, if I recall correctly that would have been about £35 for me!

It was basically why not cut my hair, if you make a mess of it it'll grow back. She's now very good at cutting my hair.

I even get early morning appointments with no waiting when its convenient for me, and I don't have to pay.

Mind you when you add up all the costs being married has incurred.

depends which country.

HK - under a tenner for a cut and a shave

UK - 20 quid seems to be the way to get one at a shop I know wont mess it up (travelling there = no regular)

NZ - great place I go for 15 NZD for an awesome cut and coffee with homemade biscuits

US - 16 USD last time for somewhere in manhattan run by dodgy russians.

My turkish barbers don't speak English so I just point at a poster of Tony Santana from Scarface they have on the wall and they get the gist. It's £12 but it includes burning my ears and nostrils with methylated spirit!

I bought an electric clipper in 2007. My wife was critical of the way the local barber who charged about £5 or £6 cut my hair. She wanted me to use her hairdresser, if I recall correctly that would have been about £35 for me!

It was basically why not cut my hair, if you make a mess of it it'll grow back. She's now very good at cutting my hair.

I even get early morning appointments with no waiting when its convenient for me, and I don't have to pay.

Mind you when you add up all the costs being married has incurred.

That's the attitude I had when I decided to look after my own hair. I looked at a lot of you tube videos and articles about cutting your own hair. I've always cut a little bit and took my time and times I wasn't that happy with my handiwork didn't really matter as it always grows back. Over the nine years I've experimented and have now perfected my own technique and style that I find low maintenance which suits me and I really like it.

If it were Donald Trump I could believe it. You need a degree in structural engineering to do his hair.

Funnily enough, the Journalist burd he had that hoo haa with had funny sci fi structural hair too. Looked like it was squeezed out of a tube.