House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Saving For a Space Ship

An Ideal House Designed By And For Hpc'ers - Can't Remember A Thread On It

In my 13 odd years on the 2 Hpc forms, I can't remember a thread on this specifically.

Ideally I would be thinking of an efficient Passive House type design, made from building materials re- manufactured from EA leaflets, boot sales & supermarket reduced shelve salvage packaging.

This would be build on land repossessed by crime agencies from corrupt Bankers / Ea's /politicians & donated to Hpc Ftb'ers.

The ashes of Fergus & Krusty would be buried underneath the dance floor :D

On a more serious note: I liked these modular "HouseLets"

http://sf.curbed.com/archives/2014/12/05/new_housing_math_microhome_parklet_houselet.php

http://tjm.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/McCormick_Houslets_HousingHack-presentation_2014-06-12.pdf

https://angel.co/houslets

378069-3fae19b5ba5ddd423c1cfab7287d73dc8

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

It's actually a brilliant idea for a thread. Default position is to slag offf houses - will be interesting to see what people actually like.

For me the design is not as important as where the design is situated.....so the outside space and what and who are inside and outside.....

All homes have walls, roofs and floors.....quiet with lots of natural light.....a room with a view, but not a highrise.... No lifts.

A motor home affords that adaptability......so where the home it is rather than what it is, as long as in a nice environment, safe and comfortable.

Edited by winkie

I love this house. Caught it in a film recently and it's perfect for hpc.

Built by a fascist who later turned Maoist (self-named 'Malaparte'), on a promontory almost cut off from the world.

Lovingly caressed by the camera in a film called 'Contempt', Bridget Bardot sunning herself topless on the roof. The link has a clip from the film.

http://www.archdaily.com/777627/architecture-classics-villa-malaparte-adalberto-libera

Great subject..

This is one interest I do have with a few ideas, off to work very soon so cannot contribute much right now.

I would get a room, no!, building full of experts and come up with better designs and ideas for homes for the future, Get away from these dull sad looking 2 bedroom starter homes where they are just treated like stop gaps.

Just for starters I would start thinking more on the lines of one more floor in these homes either up or down, flat garden roofs, garage under property, too many cars on the roads these days, Using natural resources to make the homes insulated and blend in better, a creative mind can make an extra story home using the contours of the ground blend in so it looks like a bungalow, air/ground source heating, and quick and strong self assembly materials which I am sure the Chinese would just love a crack at making.

Above all us, lets just get more creative with building in the future.

Me too.

I want engineers to be move involved. I simply refuse to believe that the houses we have are the best we can come up with. We should have factories pumping out slot together units for mass house building.

At the very least I would want houses designed without the sheer amount of wasted space that they are now. All modern houses seem to have 3 toilets but nowhere to put a pushchair or hang a coat.

If I were designing a house from scratch I'd love to have one where I could simply reconfigure the space with a few sound insultated floor to ceiling panels to change the bedroom layout to give guest some privacy but not waste space with an unoccupied. Likewise some glass panels to box off the open plan space. I like my cosy spaces withitn houses.

...I'd love to have one where I could simply reconfigure the space with a few sound insultated floor to ceiling panels to change the bedroom layout to give guest some privacy but not waste space with an unoccupied. Likewise some glass panels to box off the open plan space. I like my cosy spaces withitn houses.

Absolutely. My preference is open plan layout but it is useful to be able to close off the kitchen, accommodate a few more guests, or just allow one person to sleep and another watch tv.

The only implementation of this I have actually experienced was a bedroom that could join a living room. The separating panels were not soundproof at all unfortunately but at least gave some privacy.

Yep

When have you ever seen a Home British people convention to solve our housing crisis. I would love to attend an event where great and creative minds come up with new solutions on how to build bigger and yet discrete homes with new materials.

There is no doubt in my mind that with the right people and the right ambition we could come up with homes that could be slotted together and at far less than £75k which were more comfortable and beautiful to live in.

Well hold on a minute - the whole point of this site is that we are wasting our capital on a speculative bubble. It's all being hoarded by the older generations, hence the younger do not have a say in having let alone developing housing, as they naturally do with other products.

Theres no lack of imagination no lack of transformative ideas. High quality sliding partitions ? That's old hat.

It all just sits there on the shelf uselessly alongside the so-called 'pent up demand'.

Well hold on a minute - the whole point of this site is that we are wasting our capital on a speculative bubble. It's all being hoarded by the older generations, hence the younger do not have a say in having let alone developing housing, as they naturally do with other products.

Theres no lack of imagination no lack of transformative ideas. High quality sliding partitions ? That's old hat.

It all just sits there on the shelf uselessly alongside the so-called 'pent up demand'.

Yup. Spot on. ;)