House Price Crash Forum

Lots Of Jobs Cuts Announced... Again.

HOLA441

Posted in another forum, just as relevant here I reckon.

More losses:

http://www.youroilandgasnews.com/500+jobs+losses+at+british+gas+due+to+closure+of+loft+and+cavity+wall+insulation+business_126974.html

This is an early stage of the programme of 6,000 job losses announced by parent group Centrica's CEO Ian Conn last summer.

GMB expects a further 4,000 job losses still to come in areas that have yet to be identified. The closure of the loft and cavity wall business with a loss of 500 jobs is a real sickener.

http://www.pressreader.com/uk/the-press-and-journal-aberdeen/20160203/282376923613373/TextView

http://www.epmag.com/cyprus-based-songa-will-cut-200-onshore-jobs-837346

Cyprus-based Songa Offshore SE will cut 200 jobs—76 employees and 124 contractors, respectively, the company said Feb. 2. Most of the reductions will be in the South Korea office and supporting organizations in Stavanger, Norway, and Aberdeen, Scotland.

Not directly oil and gas...

http://news.sky.com/story/1635146/ford-to-cut-hundreds-of-jobs-in-uk-and-germany

Ford To Cut Hundreds Of Jobs In UK And Germany

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/feb/03/lloyds-announces-job-cuts-branch-closures

Group Lloyds Banking Group to cut 1,755 jobs and close 29 branches

http://www.localgov.co.uk/Spending-cuts-put-25000-council-jobs-at-risk-warns-union/40237?

Spending cuts put 25,000 council jobs at risk warns union

http://www.civilserviceworld.com/articles/news/hmrc-job-cuts-majority-200-risk-staff-facing-compulsory-redundancy?

HM Revenue & Customs is this month set to issue compulsory redundancy notices to the majority of the 200 staff whose jobs it warned were at risk last year, Civil Service World understands.

http://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/a-4d3d-French-firm-Govia-plans-to-close-81-ticket-offices?#.VrIcQrKLTIU

TRANSPORT workers vowed yesterday to fight plans to close ticket offices at over 80 stations across England yesterday.

Govia, owned by the French state, wants to strip services on its stations served by Thameslink, Southern, Great Northern and Gatwick Express.

Rail union RMT warned that the plans would “unleash a wave of ticket office carnage across rail franchises that are already seen as the basket-cases of Britain’s privatised railway network.”

General secretary Mick Cash said: “It is clear that Govia couldn’t give two hoots about passenger services, jobs and safety and are prepared to milk these routes for every single penny that they can extract regardless of what the travelling public think of them.

“It is a disgrace and Govia should be slung out and these essential rail services taken into public ownership before these latest profit-driven cuts are allowed to rip through these 81 stations.”

Even overpriced tat is no immune,

http://www.drapersonline.com/news/jaeger-to-close-three-loss-making-stores/7004455.article?blocktitle=More-News&contentID=15728

Jaeger is to close three loss-making stores in the first quarter of 2016, including a store at Westfield Stratford tomorrow.

Edited by cashinmattress

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

I'm losing my main contract in the new financial year. Been my main source of income for the past 5 years but all good things come to an end.

Times like this I'm glad I don't have a large mortgage or any debt.

Pfft. Get a large mortgage while you still have the chance. Put yourself on the right side of means-testing when you lose the income.

Could save you the temptation to up sticks and move if you should stumble upon your ideal next job somewhere else. ;)

HOLA449

I'm losing my main contract in the new financial year. Been my main source of income for the past 5 years but all good things come to an end.

Times like this I'm glad I don't have a large mortgage or any debt.

Do you attribute that financial strategy to your own parsimonious nature, or do you tip your hat to the folk on this forum in educating the masses?

HOLA4410

Ford Europe set to "streamline" it's workforce, resulting in possibly hundreds of UK jobs going... despite new car sales supposedly being at record highs.

I'm sure there was once a time when the better a particular industry did the more employees it took on?

HOLA4411

Ford Europe set to "streamline" it's workforce, resulting in possibly hundreds of UK jobs going... despite new car sales supposedly being at record highs.

I'm sure there was once a time when the better a particular industry did the more employees it took on?

More employees would lessen the shareholders dividends.

Don't listen to Jessie J. It is all about the money money money.

HOLA4412

all these companies are starting to see the **** fall out of the world again. They are just getting into position to limit the damages. Obviously mass redundancies fuels more mass redundancies.

When the first quarter results come out shares will plunge. Recession announced in a few months time. i do like how much a of triple smack-down house sellers will get in a few months, very rare to see a perfect HPC storm forming, especially after watching everything go right for the HPI debt heads.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Do you attribute that financial strategy to your own parsimonious nature, or do you tip your hat to the folk on this forum in educating the masses?

There is certainly a community on here who share my fear of wage slavery but I think I've always been the parsimonious sort. I just don't ever feel a need to treat myself.

From the second I bought my house every spare penny went into paying off the mortgage as soon as possible. After that was achieved it was all about building up as large a buffer as possible so I wasn't obliged to ever do work I didn't want to do again.

Not boasting and with a certain amount of luck about being in a stable relationship from a young age and buying when houses were relatively affordable. 21 year old me wouldn't be able to do now what 21 year old me did in the early 2000's, I'd have £60k of student debt rather than £10k and the house would cost £330k rather than £130k.

HOLA4415

More employees would lessen the shareholders dividends.

Don't listen to Jessie J. It is all about the money money money.

This.

We only made £1.2 billion as opposed to £2 billion last year. Got to trim the fat blah blah etc.

It's processes/management that's usually the problem (if there is one) seldom the workers. Yet still the cure to all ills still seems to be cutting and or changing staff. Google red bead experiment.

HOLA4416

21 year old me wouldn't be able to do now what 21 year old me did in the early 2000's, I'd have £60k of student debt rather than £10k and the house would cost £330k rather than £130k.

How about a 21 year old on 1990, 1980 etc etc

This needs flaming on every news message board out there.

HOLA4417

I just don't ever feel a need to treat myself.

Finding that bit a bit hard to believe. Surely you're like most of us on here, researching and negotiating, always seeking a bargain?

We all like to get a good deal for our hard earned cash.

I'm an engineer and love gadgets.

Also a biker, so I have a modern bike (albeit got an ex-demo with -35% of the sticker, with 3500 m on the ODO).

I also love gigs, and do feel remorse paying Ticketmeister the full bifta, but won't sacrifice that to see my musical heroes on stage.

HOLA4418

Finding that bit a bit hard to believe. Surely you're like most of us on here, researching and negotiating, always seeking a bargain?

We all like to get a good deal for our hard earned cash.

I'm an engineer and love gadgets.

Also a biker, so I have a modern bike (albeit got an ex-demo with -35% of the sticker, with 3500 m on the ODO).

I also love gigs, and do feel remorse paying Ticketmeister the full bifta, but won't sacrifice that to see my musical heroes on stage.

Don't get me wrong I do spend money on gadgets, holidays, nice food and drink and experiences (concerts, sports). However I know plenty of people who have a bank balance of £0, who far out earn me, who just have piles and piles of stuff which they buy because they need to treat themselves for working. £1000 watches, £90 belts, phones, tv packages, lease cars, 5* all inclusive holidays, champagne in the fridge all year round. There is something in me that measures pointless consumption against hours at work needed to pay for it. And more often than not I'd rather have the time than the object.

HOLA4419

As banks are extracting more income out of the economy via joint income mortgages, at higher and higher lending multiples, people have less to spend. The fat cats in charge of firms/councils cannot see profits increasing much, so have to cut costs to preserve their pay and pension rises. What better way than to make someone redundant and have another employee work twice as hard?

HOLA4420

Not boasting and with a certain amount of luck about being in a stable relationship from a young age and buying when houses were relatively affordable. 21 year old me wouldn't be able to do now what 21 year old me did in the early 2000's, I'd have £60k of student debt rather than £10k and the house would cost £330k rather than £130k.

Great post.

How about a 21 year old on 1990, 1980 etc etc

This needs flaming on every news message board out there.

Too true.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Involuntarily 'finished' my career 7 years ago, started a 'successful' business LOL ....Glad I now have the survivor mindset (spend minimal and sell everything you dont need). Its clear we are/ have entered a real depression....and now the delayed pain is firmly underway. All I can say is splash out on a pitchfork or two, we'll need those.

We have been royally screwed...and no-one either realises or cares (until HPC kicks in). Too late.

HOLA4425