House Price Crash Forum
Longtermrenter

Excessive Lettign Agent Fees

Just seen a house that would be much better for us.

We currently pay £725 which is good for Kent for a 3 bed but this one is up for £1000 a month. It is a 4 bed though with study and double garage.

The thing that really galls me though is the agent's fees. For us it works out at £516 just to get the house. Then they want 2k deposit and 1k upfront. So that's £3516 to move in.

I think we are just going to have to pass on it as that is so expensive. Anyone else seen any fees bigger than this outside of London? The other warning signs (spoke to the tenant when I knocked on the door) for me were landlord is out of country and their sister and son do maintenance. A quick look showed massive clods of grass growing from the gutters and the interior looked a bit unkempt. Anyway, that's off topic - the fees! Even their renewal and check-in/check-out fees are galling. Surely the bloody landlord should be paying to check what state the house is in at the start and end of the tenancy.

Here are the fees:

Letting fees information

Admin Fee for 1st person: £250 (£300 inc VAT)
Admin Fee for subsequent applicants: £50 (£60 inc VAT)
Admin Fee for Guarantor: £60 (£72 inc VAT)
Tenants Renewal Fee: £95 (£114 inc VAT)
Express Check In Fee: £80 (£96 inc VAT)
Check Out Fee: £75 (£90 inc VAT)
Referencing Fee: £25 (£30 inc VAT)
Futher details regarding tenants fees: Credit Card fee for payments 2.5% of amount paid per payment 3.6% of amount paid per payment
Renewal Fee (Spilt between Landlord & Tenant).
Late rent reminder letter £20 per letter plus vat £24 per letter inc vat
Late rent payment fee £20 per occasion plus vat £24 per occasion inc vat
Return of rent overpayment £20 per repayment plus vat £24 per repayment inc vat
Letters confirming address/rent £25 per letter plus vat £30 per letter inc vat
End of Tenancy Reference Fee £25 per reference plus vat £30 per reference inc vat

That's really taking the p***

"Return of rent overpayment £20 per repayment plus vat £24 per repayment inc vat"

You even get charged if you pay too much :D

Jeez - thats friggin ridiculous.

parasites.

they're probably gouging on the people farmer as well.

greedy sods. you should let them know that you would've taken it but for the excessive fees, just so they know that good tennants can be discerning and we can and do say no - you're taking the piss.

A useful example that should be brought to the attention of the Housing Minister maybe - to further show why we are sick of paying to be farmed and how much they take advantage of us.

I had that couple of years ago, tried all sorts, I just walked away. Couple of weeks later he phones me and in a bad mood asks why I am not taking it and I explained in no uncertain terms. I came across the same kind of house cheaper and they didnt charge me anything. Free market competition ,something letting agents will have to get to grips with :)

Don't do it, when it comes time to sign a new term or get your deposit back these types of agents will come up with the most creative reasons to add £30 here and there. Consider posting ads to find a new home and avoid the agents.

£3,516 - holy sh*t! :blink:

I wonder to what extent such excessive tenancy fee are a conflict of interest? :unsure: Landlords get charged by Letting Agencies. If I was a landlord and my property was taking a long time to rent on account of a Letting Agent's high fees scaring off potential tenants, I would not be happy. Any landlord will want their property rented out asap.

Employment agencies are not allowed to charge their employees. Letting Agencies shouldn't be allowed to charge either (as is now the Law in Scotland).

Employment agencies are not allowed to charge their employees. Letting Agencies shouldn't be allowed to charge either (as is now the Law in Scotland).

Would have been the law here too if a bunch of Tory MPs hadn't talked it out in Parliament last year.

Would have been the law here too if a bunch of Tory MPs hadn't talked it out in Parliament last year.

Oh yes. Julian Huppert MP (Lib Dems) was sadly kicked out of his Cambridge seat in May after championing the plight of private tenants. :(