House Price Crash Forum
canbuywontbuy

It's Too Late, Just Emigrate

Even if there's a HPI of 50%, so what:-

• it's a 50% drop from a height of house prices being 3 to 4 times over-priced (at least)
  • rental laws will never be like Europe, renting is sh1t in the UK
  • there ain't gonna be a drop of 50% anyway, get real. You might see a 25% drop maximum, and then the government will come up with new props. They'll probably (continue to) prop up prices long before that kind of drop.
  • likely things will stay as they are - house prices stagnating, but massively over-priced. You'll need two incomes stretched to the max to pay off your little Bellway slavebox.

And whether you buy a property or rent one :-

• the UK's economy is deep in the toilet, deep down into the sewers, embedded in a fatberg, with the government using air fresheners pretending it isn't. £10Bn borrowing a month just to keep the pretence up
  • the UK won't leave the EU. A "No" to EU vote will trigger a 2nd referendum anyway. UK = EU = open borders forever. Our borders will remain fully open and our demographics will continue to radically change. Cameron will continue to bring a bowl of rabbit droppings from EU summits and proclaim victories for the UK.
  • the UK is broke - councils in debt, infrastructure not being invested in, national debt of £1.5Tn+.
  • the younger generations have proven they're happy to be shafted, so long as they have Facebook.
  • oh and Facebook, Google and Amazon will continue to pay next to fu1k all taxes while they have a PRISM deal between the governments (governments getting on-demand data from these companies in exchange for de facto tax evasion deals).
  • the UK is a big pot of boiling frogs, thinking they're sitting in a hot tub. We're all shopping in Poundland these days, which in 5 years' time will look like Waitrose while we shop in the 25p shops.
  • jobs market is crap. Proof: the treasury has taken just a 10% increase in income tax between 2006 and 2016. Younger people have no chance of a long-term career.

I agree, but there is no simple escape route.

My family and friends are all here - isn't there worth in staying and fight to build a decent country for ourselves? The government should serve the people, not the bankers.

Personally I was banking on Scottish independence. :(

Don't leave, cheat.

If I was in my 20's, something like this would be my home. No council tax, no TV license, no S21's, no agent fees, free holiday accommodation, room for visitors. Park at licensed caravan sites, roadside, works carpark or get a contact with some land you can park up on for next to nothing. Sell and buy a house when the crash comes, save a fortune whilst waiting.

On my estate, there are probably more people living in "alternative" housing than in traditional houses (caravans, conversions, outbuildings, annexes built without permission). Violating planning permission rules isn't actually illegal (only enforcement notices that can take years to go through), just move on if you have to or swap between sites. Planning departments don't have the budget to fight unless you have managed to p-off lots of neighbours.

caravans-and-motorhomes-motorhomes-S2056

The last time masses fought for anything was because a drug dealer got shot or because a football team lost.

Well there was one bloke who managed to direct the masses against international finance. Shame he got fixated on their ethnicity.

Go do some work/live in a proper poor 3rd world country with starving/dying kids, warlords, disease, etc... then come back and give us an update.

Oh feck off

Don't leave, cheat.

If I was in my 20's, something like this would be my home. No council tax, no TV license, no S21's, no agent fees, free holiday accommodation, room for visitors. Park at licensed caravan sites, roadside, works carpark or get a contact with some land you can park up on for next to nothing. Sell and buy a house when the crash comes, save a fortune whilst waiting.

On my estate, there are probably more people living in "alternative" housing than in traditional houses (caravans, conversions, outbuildings, annexes built without permission). Violating planning permission rules isn't actually illegal (only enforcement notices that can take years to go through), just move on if you have to or swap between sites. Planning departments don't have the budget to fight unless you have managed to p-off lots of neighbours.

If I where single I would definitely get a motorhome, a quality one like that one.

Go do some work/live in a proper poor 3rd world country with starving/dying kids, warlords, disease, etc... then come back and give us an update.

Deliberately being absurd. There are nations in between the wealthy west and war torn somalia.

Question is which?

As long as you avoid disease and stay friendly with the warlords this could work. You can have a magnificent standard of living in 3rd world countries.

Both Australia and New Zealand have their own house price bubble.

The USA doesn't appeal to me. I've worked for USA companies before and seen how they sack staff with no notice.

Ir depends though on what your job is and how conditions for that job in each country you consider.

Both Australia and New Zealand have their own house price bubble.

The USA doesn't appeal to me. I've worked for USA companies before and seen how they sack staff with no notice.

Ir depends though on what your job is and how conditions for that job in each country you consider.

I may consider USa if the pay is high enough. In other words, contracting for $$$$ and renting cheaply. If it ends, I bounce.

Don't leave, cheat.

Well thats fine if you are a 20 something year old in the UK with 50k in the bank. :wacko:

You don't have to own, rents have pretty much stayed level in real terms since the boom began back in 1998, fell back 2007-9 and returned to 2007 peak.

Can't honestly see how you could live cheaper than the UK, because of its population density, world class logistics and a screwed private sector that can't make any money out of the consumer (the FTSE 100 has been losing investors money in real terms since 2000) plus of course the NHS. The NHS is not the only free stuff, leisure, libraries, footpaths. Go live in some God forsaken place like Cananda ot Aus , get private medical insurance, drive 100s of miles to get anywhere, consumer massively because a plastic environment means you have to keep consuming to remain sane and of course they do spend thousands more than us each year.

UK is the cheapest in the world end of and the world is queuing up to get in, If you live in London move to Stoke on Trent and buy yourself a 40k repo.

We have won the lottery of life and don't realise it.

Edited by crashmonitor

I know people who pay £100 less than pcm to buy a 3 bed flat in Spain

I know millions of people in this country that pay precisely zero, they are on housing benefit. Which is why all expats find their way back because they know when push comes to shove they will be housed and not thrown in the debtors prison. Plus an unlimited six figure plus health care package free.

Of course, housing benefit, minimum income guarantee, disability living allowance,, ball crunching NHS fees etc isn't much to expect for a lifetime of work. That's what a friend of mine said whose employment history was benefits and a paper round.

While the welfare and health Ponzi survives my advice is stay put.

Edited by crashmonitor

These 'emigrate to escape HPC' threads now seem a standard, and deservedly so, feature of this board. It's ever log before a new one pops up......

That said, a family fried (early 40's) raised this issue in conversation ad revealed he too was actively looking into it.

But his choice seemed 'unconventional', compared with the usual Oz, NZ, Canada, etc - and far closer to home. Malta!

Yes it's in the Eurozone. But that aside does anyone else here have any thoughts on that place?

I may consider USa if the pay is high enough. In other words, contracting for $$$$ and renting cheaply. If it ends, I bounce.

Can you not just do that in London and save yourself the bother? Thats basically my plan

You don't have to own, rents have pretty much stayed level in real terms since the boom began back in 1998, fell back 2007-9 and returned to 2007 peak.

Can't honestly see how you could live cheaper than the UK, because of its population density, world class logistics and a screwed private sector that can't make any money out of the consumer (the FTSE 100 has been losing investors money in real terms since 2000) plus of course the NHS. The NHS is not the only free stuff, leisure, libraries, footpaths. Go live in some God forsaken place like Cananda ot Aus , get private medical insurance, drive 100s of miles to get anywhere, consumer massively because a plastic environment means you have to keep consuming to remain sane and of course they do spend thousands more than us each year.

UK is the cheapest in the world end of and the world is queuing up to get in, If you live in London move to Stoke on Trent and buy yourself a 40k repo.

We have won the lottery of life and don't realise it.

These 'emigrate to escape HPC' threads now seem a standard, and deservedly so, feature of this board. It's ever log before a new one pops up......

That said, a family fried (early 40's) raised this issue in conversation ad revealed he too was actively looking into it.

But his choice seemed 'unconventional', compared with the usual Oz, NZ, Canada, etc - and far closer to home. Malta!

Yes it's in the Eurozone. But that aside does anyone else here have any thoughts on that place?

Why not. Dont they have a big offshore gambling jobs thing like Gibralta. Ive considered it before.