House Price Crash Forum

If Hpi Continues At Which Point Do The Under 30S Begin To Protest

wealthy

HOLA441

actually how come it hasn't happened already?

There's a significant amount of people who have had the metaphorical crap kicked out of them from a life perspective, and are just basically taking it.

I've seriously struggled to understand how engineered HPI madness has been allowed to continue in this Country. If someone comes along and nicks a fiver from you, you get angry about it, if they nick a few hundred thousand off you, why is it ok?

Honestly, if it keeps going like this I'll have to start instigating a revolution myself

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

I think most under 30s (and certainly the ones I know) are resigned to the fact that they will not be in a position to own anytime soon (unless they are on a very good salary and/or expect a significant inheritance)

As it stands, I can't see significant numbers protesting about it . They generally aren't a generation that protests about anything and things just aren't uncomfortable enough for them yet to change that.

Give it time though and I think that situation will change. What they really need is a few generation rent demagogues to stir things up politically.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Well most of us are pretty pissed off.

The worrying thing is that number don't see the issues and just placate themselves with sex, drugs, media escape.

The ones that have clocked something is wrong are generally powerless to begin with, especially the unemployed or less well educated. Rather than getting involved politically, they will be susceptible to youtube/internet conspiracy's that give them a false sense of power and ironically leaves them feeling powerless to change anything "cos of mason/illuminati/NWO control tings innit"

Corbyn may not be an answer to you but him and Sanders have tapped into the rising sentiment of young educated youth esp. quite a few middle-class kids many of whom are from HPI-BTL supporting families!

As young people who I know were involved in that, watching the Blairites and Mandelson get slapped up was just too satisfying.

-

The riots a few years back showed you what can happen; yes they were looting material things and not rioting because of economic injustice (Although many were pissed at the police for years of harassment) but that was what the free-market fundamentalists thought produces. A way of distilling value through a purely hedonistic individual "I'm alright Jack, now fuk u whilst I screw you over for more of these buying-tingy money stuffs. I can buy blingy tinhy tings. if not then you iz scum" mentality.

Difference was, a kid was jailed through "quick" courts working overtime, and gets 6 months for nicking water.

Banking crimes that directly affect their and our lives negatively, get a committee investigation if that or get dropped. Take 6 years if that for decisions to be reached. You have a more extreme disparity in the states I hear:

Second part parodying how certain finance committee hearings tend to act in the US (but applies to some extent here)

Edited by Tapori

HOLA446
HOLA447

In the last 18 months the young democratically annihilated the Lib Dems, decapitated the Labour party and almost took Scotland out of the Union in protest at being ignored.

Yes, and this is why the Tories have already slashed about 800k off the electoral roll and will adjust boundaries to their liking whilst not lowering the vote to 16.

HOLA448

Its the under 40s.

Housing is concentrated in quite a narrow, demographic band of (roughly) 50-70.

The question really is - Who will buy the houses?

And - What will happen if they fall to mean earning mutliples?

Edited by spyguy

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Its the under 40s.

Housing is concentrated in quite a narrow, demographic band of (roughly) 50-70.

The question really is - Who will buy the houses?

And - What will happen if they fall to mean earning mutliples?

20 years ago FTBs were 20...now ther are 40...it's the same people who cant' buy...now followed by 20 years of angry poor people

HOLA4411

20 years ago FTBs were 20...now ther are 40...it's the same people who cant' buy...now followed by 20 years of angry poor people

Cant buy - balanced with - Cant sell.

If you need to sell - job, bank calling the loan (or loansss) in then you are in trouble.

HOLA4412

Yes, and this is why the Tories have already slashed about 800k off the electoral roll and will adjust boundaries to their liking whilst not lowering the vote to 16.

The generational day of reckoning is coming for the Tories too. The current comfortably-housed-and-pensioned over-55s are dying at a rate of a few million per Parliament and they are not being backfilled with similarly comfortable younger people.

HOLA4413

actually how come it hasn't happened already?

There's a significant amount of people who have had the metaphorical crap kicked out of them from a life perspective, and are just basically taking it.

I've seriously struggled to understand how engineered HPI madness has been allowed to continue in this Country. If someone comes along and nicks a fiver from you, you get angry about it, if they nick a few hundred thousand off you, why is it ok?

Honestly, if it keeps going like this I'll have to start instigating a revolution myself

Most 30s and under just don't really understand the system.

They've all got parents, mostly boomers if they're in their 30s and they are going by advice and experience.

The advice from boomers usually is, "bricks and mortar forever and it was hard for us too, house prices have always been expensive so don't miss the boat!"

The boomers are so convinced of this that we have BOMAD.

Experience wise? Well they all had to grow up in a family home and we know at HPC that houses cost many multiples of income less back then than now. Some may even have experienced dad buying a house on a single income on an average wage at the time and just grew up expecting the same. God knows the media are not going to tell you any different from the bbc to the express, HPI is forever and HPC is not exactly considered mainstream.

Growing up this generation probably had linear expectations of housing and that their parents wouldn't collectively ****** them all over for another BTL and lots of paper gainz to mew away on cruises.

Boomers saturate all levels of society, until they don't I can't expect this generational ****** up to be widely reported in the papers, radio and TV stations that are all owned and staffed by boomers.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Some will emigrate.

Some are complaining already..

Just wait for ownerhisp % to drop below 60% and then you will hear more voice complaining.

Perhaps the best way for something to happen would be if one of the 2 main parties collapsed.

HOLA4416

Outside the M25, a cohabiting couple in their 20s earning £20k each can afford to rent a place, run a car, and take an annual overseas holiday. It's when they want to have kids that they realise their parents had things much better.

affording to rent a place is not something they will be happy with IF that rent takes 40-50% of their income..

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

most are resigned to the status quo.

They dont see it as a problem, its just the way things are.

Both my daughters tell me so.

Workmates tell me so.

One thing has changed since I were a lad...Banking is a dirty game in their minds, thats one of the small business 3 wise men thrown himself into the gutter.

HOLA4419

In the last 18 months the young democratically annihilated the Lib Dems, decapitated the Labour party and almost took Scotland out of the Union in protest at being ignored.

Not quite. Question is if Labour is +10 now will where will they be in 5 years time with Corbyn ?:

Although it is true that parties focus their policy appeals on parts of the electorate where they are already strong, it is still interesting that the parties that paid most attention (in policy terms) toyoung people also scored better amongst that group. It is also interesting to note the large increase in young Labour voters (+10), the decrease in young Conservative voters (-6), and the collapse of the LibDem youth vote (-22) since the 2010 general election.

http://www.electionanalysis.uk/uk-election-analysis-2015/section-2-voters/bringing-out-the-youth-vote-young-people-and-the-2015-general-election/ Edited by pig

HOLA4420

Which party is remaining for them to desert the Tories for?

Young people are lapping up the Torie's Help to Buy Bail Banks and other property inflating schemes?

HOLA4421

I think most under 30s (and certainly the ones I know) are resigned to the fact that they will not be in a position to own anytime soon (unless they are on a very good salary and/or expect a significant inheritance)

As it stands, I can't see significant numbers protesting about it . They generally aren't a generation that protests about anything and things just aren't uncomfortable enough for them yet to change that.

Give it time though and I think that situation will change. What they really need is a few generation rent demagogues to stir things up politically.

I can assure you that our generation do protest. I was doing exams at the time unfortunately, but my brother was in the London protest against x3 tuition fees that was imposed by MP's that paid No fees. He is now protesting with his peers against the new cuts to junior doctors wages which has been disguised as a pay rise by JH.

Don't be so quick to dismiss us as sheeple.

HOLA4422

I can assure you that our generation do protest. I was doing exams at the time unfortunately, but my brother was in the London protest against x3 tuition fees that was imposed by MP's that paid No fees. He is now protesting with his peers against the new cuts to junior doctors wages which has been disguised as a pay rise by JH.

Don't be so quick to dismiss us as sheeple.

Vote percentage was up also from 2010, so not unreasonable to conclude under 30's are increasingly hacked off.

However, have they figured out what needs doing ?

HOLA4423

Since Blair, the media generally don't report protests any more, and the government certainly doesn't take any notice. Imagine a 'free country' in which you have to ask the police for permission to protest. :(

I'm in my early 30s and I have been angry about this for 10 years. But most people are busy trying to live their lives and don't check HPC every day. I think for a lot of people the price of houses is a natural event like the weather, rather than a consequence of government policy.

Also I think a lot of younger people just don't realise how much easier previous generations had it. They were very young, or not yet born - certainly not financially and politically aware - during the 90s when houses were last affordable. And their parents, if they tell them the price the family home was bought for at all, will explain the difference away with inflation or attempt to bridge the gap with gifted deposits rather than trying to fix the root problem.

The establishment is still winning, but demographics are not on their side. My niece and nephew certainly realise that they'll be starting work in a difficult environment. I really can't see our leader's long term plan - if they want the votes of people like me, shared ownership and HTB are not the way to buy them.

I suppose there is a large set of people who still get married and still want kids and who need a house to have them in. When you're running out of time to have kids then you have no option but to buy into the system. Whether that will translate into support for the system that has trapped them - I don't know. I think there is an ever-growing sense that things are extremely unbalanced and what used to be quite ordinary middle-class ambitions are now out of reach.

HOLA4424

If only they could see the truth, that wealth creation in the UK has been substitued for putting money in the back pockets of a select few that own a significant amount of property.

The technology revolution has created masses amounts of wealth and freed up time in automation, you would have thought we'd have all been working less and enjoying life more, instead people are working more to meet their rent and transferring it to boomers who don't work at all.

I guess it's like the serfs/peasants, until the black death/fire of london etc. they just accepted their lot. They didn't have access to the internet though...

Edited by wealthy

HOLA4425