House Price Crash Forum

Yahoo To Cut Its Workforce By 15%

HOLA441

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35479175

Yahoo is cutting 15% of its workforce as the company purses an "aggressive strategic plan" to return to profitability.

The job cuts will reduce its employees to about 9,000 by the end of 2016.

The announcement of the cuts came as Yahoo reported a $4.3bn (£3bn) loss for the year.

In a statement, chief executive Marissa Mayer said: "This is a strong plan calling for bold shifts in products and in resources."

More job cuts for the jobless recovery....

HOLA442

Alright if you are one Guardian poster girl Marissa Mayer's mates like Henrique De Castro who got 109 million in redundancy pay after just 15 months at Yahoo despite being described as having “disappeared” in his last few months at Yahoo.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffbercovici/2014/01/16/fired-yahoo-execs-109m-golden-parachute-was-one-of-the-biggest-ever/#f9b956c657d1

de Castro was paid $1000 dollars while taking a 10 minute dump in the executive bog.

HOLA443

Alright if you are one Guardian poster girl Marissa Mayer's mates like Henrique De Castro who got 109 million in redundancy pay after just 15 months at Yahoo despite being described as having disappeared in his last few months at Yahoo.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffbercovici/2014/01/16/fired-yahoo-execs-109m-golden-parachute-was-one-of-the-biggest-ever/#f9b956c657d1

de Castro was paid $1000 dollars while taking a 10 minute dump in the executive bog.

******ing hell.

HOLA444
HOLA445

How the ****** did they make a $4 billion loss? wtf?

Because Yahoo suck. Outside of Japan and the US almost no one uses Yahoo. They are popular in the US because they have Yahoo News and Yahoo Finance, and they were around long before Google so they have a core user base in the US and Japan who started using the internet when Yahoo was a leading search engine. In Japan they are popular because of Yahoo auctions (auctions.yahoo.co.jp/). Which is strange because there's no English version, I think just Japan and Hong Kong versions.

It seems like Yahoo have realised they can't compete with Google for search and are scared to compete with Ebay auctions. So they are concentrating on their niches, auctions and news in Japan, Finance and news in the US.

I do like their idea of focusing on Japan. As a non-English language whose economy ranks third in the world, up until recently even second, it's a really good place to do business because you take away all the competition who for whatever reason didn't want to either learn Japanese or invest in Japan, or deal with Japan's cultural quirks. Granted Japan is very competitive for some markets where you can get better quality/ value than Western markets, but I think there's some things Western companies do better that get a foot hold there.

I think I would like to eventually do something in Japan but not until I had a reasonable income from an existing business to afford the cost of doing it.

That guy who was paid $100 million just to stay there for a few months, that's just some major shareholders (or directors?) siphoning off money from the company through their mates. Not uncommon practice. Hell there's a lot of less obvious ways large companies are being raided but you'd have to look into their accountancy tricks.

Edited by developer

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Get on your bike they said after I lost my agricultural Job. So I moved from the country to city to work in the factories.

Then the machines came so off on the bike I went to work down pit for a few decades.

Then they closed the pits. "Skill up" they said so I did and went into the knowledge and information economy.

Then people realised pratting about on Excel all day wasn't actually producing wealth. So I then lost my tech Job.

People will always need feeding they said pointing to the fields, stop whinging and get on your bike...

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I've used Yahoo mail since it was first released. Yep. I'm that old...

Still use daily. It's fine.

However I refuse to use the app version of Yahoo mail. Total rubbish.

Doesn't surprise me that they are dying. Haven't done anything innovative for a decade.

They remind me of AOL. A tech giant that was going to rule the world. They boasted in the 90s every time I met their management and employees.......?