House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SarahBell

Happiest Age? Well It Aint You.

That age group also reported the highest levels of anxiety.

That's an 2007 archive photo from a queue outside Northern Rock.

Edited by billybong

I wonder if this "happiest age" is just tracking the boomers?

spot on

if you would have carried out this survey 20 years ago it would have been the 40-50 year old age group.

The generation of teenagers who have never had to grow up.

spot on

if you would have carried out this survey 20 years ago it would have been the 40-50 year old age group.

The generation of teenagers who have never had to grow up.

+1

My first thought too. Never before or since will there be a happier generation :rolleyes:

I don't begrudge it to those who can recognise their unique good fortune. It's the ones who smugly believe it is all hard-earned and that younger generations just aren't trying hard enough that wind me up.

My first thought too. Never before or since will there be a happier generation :rolleyes:

I don't begrudge it to those who can recognise their unique good fortune. It's the ones who smugly believe it is all hard-earned and that younger generations just aren't trying hard enough that wind me up.

I do begrudge it - the Boomers are collectively consuming more than they ever produced, that means somebody else has to produce more than they consume to provide the extra goods and services for them.

I doff my peasant ASBO CHAV cap to you baby boomers. You are everything we can never be. Let us youth, bask in your reflected HPI/Scoially housed/Tuition-free/Job ready glory.

I'm not sure the boomers are the happiest generation. Certainly the most financial exploitative, but many do have a lot of new problems. Many aged about 50-65 are burdened with elderly parents and grown-up children.

I'm not sure the boomers are the happiest generation. Certainly the most financial exploitative, but many do have a lot of new problems. Many aged about 50-65 are burdened with elderly parents and grown-up children.

We will all face age-related problems like these one day as we get older, difference is the Boomers are dealing with those problems from a position of economic and financial security while subsequent generations will be dealing with the same problems without that solid foundation.

In theory this is my attitude as well... but as I personally don't know a single boomer who is modest, self aware and self effacing enough to acknowledge and admit what a cushy time they've had of it, I'm not able to put the theory in to practice.

We will all face age-related problems like these one day as we get older, difference is the Boomers are dealing with those problems from a position of economic and financial security while subsequent generations will be dealing with the same problems without that solid foundation.

Yes, all future generations will face this problem. But the generation before the boomers did not. Their boomer children left home in their late teens and became independent easily. And their parents died in their 70s rather than requiring lots of care in their 80s and 90s. Apart from a difficult childhood I think the pre-boomers may have been luckier and happier.