House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lincs

Surrey Area - Reigate And Surrrounding

Start a new job in Reigate in the near future and looking for suggestions on areas to live. I'm in my late twenties and single. I'm not earning a whole lot so I imagine i'll be living in a shared house, which i'm fine with.

While I will be working in Reigate, i'm thinking it may be a little quiet there for me. Ideally i'm looking for somewhere with a little bit of nightlife on my doorstep and somewhere with good connections to central London (ideally 24 hour train service). Also would like somewhere with an easy commute to Reigate. I will probably end up driving in although on occasion I would like the option to cycle so ideally a max of 8-10 miles from Reigate.

After a quick look Purley seemed like a good fit. I've never been so just basing it on a few things I've read. Croydon also sunded like a good option although may be a touch far out from Reigate. Appreciate any input from people who live/lived in the area.

I was born in Redhill, near Reigate! It's quite nice but rather expensive now! Where is your job? I don't think people there are that "friendly". Will you have a car? From Redhill, the trains are good to London. Croydon is a bit of a "mixed bag". It's all stockbroker belt. You will find a nice house share there. I was young once BTW. :blink:

I was born in Redhill, near Reigate! It's quite nice but rather expensive now! Where is your job? I don't think people there are that "friendly". Will you have a car? From Redhill, the trains are good to London. Croydon is a bit of a "mixed bag". It's all stockbroker belt. You will find a nice house share there. I was young once BTW. :blink:

You were born in Redhill?! That explains so much. :)

You were born in Redhill?! That explains so much. :)

It's not Norfolk! :unsure:

After a quick look Purley seemed like a good fit. I've never been so just basing it on a few things I've read. Croydon also sunded like a good option although may be a touch far out from Reigate. Appreciate any input from people who live/lived in the area.

Live in the area.

Firstly, nowhere has 24hr trains so forget that.

Croydon is a khazi. Avoid. Purley is better but being inside the M25 is still more expensive than it has any reason to be. Plus, the train connections to Purley aren't that great in terms of frequency.

Redhill is OK, bit of a mixed bag though and not a great deal going on.

Horley is nice but Boring AF.

You could look around Salfords/Whitebushes etc but train frequencies are worse and there's not even basic shopping to be had - you'd have to go to Horley or Redhill to shop.

Best bet would be Crawley. Much cheaper to live and with a proper city centre. Definitely commutaballs to Reigate and although its a new town and therefore a bit lacking in character, there's loads of green space around.

Don't forget to come to Brockham for Guy Fawkes.

Live in the area.

Firstly, nowhere has 24hr trains so forget that.

Croydon is a khazi. Avoid. Purley is better but being inside the M25 is still more expensive than it has any reason to be. Plus, the train connections to Purley aren't that great in terms of frequency.

Redhill is OK, bit of a mixed bag though and not a great deal going on.

Horley is nice but Boring AF.

You could look around Salfords/Whitebushes etc but train frequencies are worse and there's not even basic shopping to be had - you'd have to go to Horley or Redhill to shop.

Best bet would be Crawley. Much cheaper to live and with a proper city centre. Definitely commutaballs to Reigate and although its a new town and therefore a bit lacking in character, there's loads of green space around.

Don't forget to come to Brockham for Guy Fawkes.

After a brief look the cost of housing doesn't seem to be a factor as the price of a house share in most of these areas looks to be fairly similar.

The idea of having work on the doorstep is obviously very appealing although my worry is that I'll start to feel a bit isolated around Reigate or Redhill pretty quickly as the concensus seems to be that there isn't much happening there.

Purley looks to have good train connections into London and between 1am and 5am has direct train once an hour which is appealing for when I want to head into London for a night out on the weekend. Nowhere else in the general area looks to have that. Also trains to Reigate in the other direction take less than 20 mins which gives me an alternative to driving to work. In terms of whether purley itself has anything going on I'm not sure?

I hadn't considered Crawley although it has similar if not greater commute to Reigate without the advantage of being close to London which in my mind writes it off.

Start a new job in Reigate in the near future and looking for suggestions on areas to live. I'm in my late twenties and single. I'm not earning a whole lot so I imagine i'll be living in a shared house, which i'm fine with.

While I will be working in Reigate, i'm thinking it may be a little quiet there for me. Ideally i'm looking for somewhere with a little bit of nightlife on my doorstep and somewhere with good connections to central London (ideally 24 hour train service). Also would like somewhere with an easy commute to Reigate. I will probably end up driving in although on occasion I would like the option to cycle so ideally a max of 8-10 miles from Reigate.

I would forget Crawley personally. Best bet would be house share in Reigate or Redhill. Reigate is more upmarket, and expensive, but in a house share you might not notice much difference. You could easily bike it from Redhill, and Redhill has pretty good train connections. There are nearly 24 hour trains. I live the a little way the other side of Crawley to reigate, and you can get trains back to Gatwick or Three Bridges periodically through the night, and then you can get a cab. It doesn't break the bank if you book the right firm.

I wouldn't be too concerned about being isolated. Join a sports club and you'll have an instant circle of friends. Take up squash, I've moved to various towns and joined the squash club, its an instant way of getting to know a load of people that like to drink beer.

I lived in Redhill for 18 months a long time back and I have to say that it was the most miserable 8 months of my adult life. There's f*ck all going on there - everyone goes to London for entertainment - and, unless you grew up there, you're unlikely to find much of a social life. Housing was also crazily expensive for what it was. In the end, I moved back to London and commuted there by train which, remarkably, was a less awful.

After a brief look the cost of housing doesn't seem to be a factor as the price of a house share in most of these areas looks to be fairly similar.

The idea of having work on the doorstep is obviously very appealing although my worry is that I'll start to feel a bit isolated around Reigate or Redhill pretty quickly as the concensus seems to be that there isn't much happening there.

Purley looks to have good train connections into London and between 1am and 5am has direct train once an hour which is appealing for when I want to head into London for a night out on the weekend. Nowhere else in the general area looks to have that. Also trains to Reigate in the other direction take less than 20 mins which gives me an alternative to driving to work. In terms of whether purley itself has anything going on I'm not sure?

I hadn't considered Crawley although it has similar if not greater commute to Reigate without the advantage of being close to London which in my mind writes it off.

I didn't know of the 24hr trains to Purley.

If the money is no different, I'd say go for Purley or Redhill in that case.

Redhill is really conjoined with Reigate and postcode try-hards in Redhill like to pretend they live in Reigate.

Honestly, its a 20 min walk from town centre to town centre.

I don't think Reigate/Redhill is particularly grim. I have fun anywhere. There's always something to do.