House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steppenpig

Data Protection

Do any aspects of data protection worry you? What's the most important/worrying.

Data Protection Act (mainly personal data that you actually voluntarily give companies)

Google spying/trawling

Disposing/shredding of printed statements/correspondence etc.

Anything else?

I always used to find having to deal with data protection regulations particularly tedious and pointless, and they seem even more irrelevant these days.

If anything confidential arrives in my email, I print it and then eat it! :(

I've never had to deal with the details but it's another area where we seem to have completely lost the plot, with constant unreasonable attempts at getting data and a load of hassle as far as I can tell when there's a legitimate reason for it. I certainly find the lack of respect that people have for even their own privacy these days rather alarming.

In the hospital I worked in, people would ring in asking if so and so was OK...nurses cheerfully gave the caller the life story...in spite of policy not to.

Told to be reasonable when I queried it.

The digital age is amazing from a human and technological perspective.

It's better to have somebody watching the system than not n'est pas?

If it bothers you, change the way you live.

You don't have to go all cave man and live off grid, but for starters...

Cut down on the amount of information you submit electronically; ie: buy with cash, avoid e-commerce

Restrict the personal data you give willingly, ie: Facebook etc.

People certainly do not need mobile phones, but it is a convenience of which most people are unwilling to part with.

You don't have to go all cave man and live off grid, but for starters...

The problem is though, as just about every other thread where I grumble about something illustrates, that "cave man" is the sort of daft answer you usually get from people when you don't embrace every single bit of the modern world. Avoiding the downsides gets increasingly difficult as they become ever more pervasive.

It's shite.

It means someone can repeatedly make complaints about you without being known.
Nutjob complains about chickens, bees, rats and fires on allotment. All wasting council time and no one can join the dots up to show he's a looney vexatious complainant with an axe to grind.

......more concerned with where they are planning to take it....a cashless society and driverless cars.......careful what you wish for, else you will soon find you have little control over anything......your life in their hands. ;)

......more concerned with where they are planning to take it....a cashless society and driverless cars.......careful what you wish for, else you will soon find you have little control over anything......your life in their hands. ;)

That's what people seem to want, or at least don't appear to be the slightest bit bothered by it.

The problem I've got with a lot of this stuff (modern technology) is that it can be a very handy tool, or nice luxury at any rate, but it comes to dominate instead of being a "take it or leave it." It must be used and people must sell themselves to it.

That's what people seem to want, or at least don't appear to be the slightest bit bothered by it.

The problem I've got with a lot of this stuff (modern technology) is that it can be a very handy tool, or nice luxury at any rate, but it comes to dominate instead of being a "take it or leave it." It must be used and people must sell themselves to it.

judging by some antics you see on the roads, we have driverless cars already...have had for years.

Haven't you updated your phone yet, a bi-annual requirement.....scrappaged your perfectly working car to buy or lease a new one......replace your perfectly working 30 year old boiler for a new boiler costing plus £2k because it will 'save' you money and apparently the environment, and could well need replacing after ~15 years.

All good for the environment.......this huge waste of resources when carbon emissions are created both to make all the high turnover of stuff and to dispose of it all or throw it en mass into landfill.

If you can work out the logic of that you are a better man than me..... ;)

Haven't you updated your phone yet, a bi-annual requirement.....scrappaged your perfectly working car to buy or lease a new one......replace your perfectly working 30 year old boiler for a new boiler costing plus £2k because it will 'save' you money and apparently the environment, and could well need replacing after ~15 years.

I don't have a (mobile) phone and I've usually managed to sell on cars (I generally keep them until they seem to be in the garage more often than I'd like, the one lease one I had was a mistake I won't go through again). Wouldn't mind replacing my old (not sure how old) boiler though with one that can be controlled with a thermostat instead of just an on/off timer or manual on/off, but since it works and I'm bad enough at getting things done that definitely need doing I doubt that it'll get changed in the near future.

If you can work out the logic of that you are a better man than me..... ;)

The old "keeping up with the Jones's" thing, combined with "new stuff is progress and we must have progress!" mentality that I'm frequently railing against.

I don't have a (mobile) phone and I've usually managed to sell on cars (I generally keep them until they seem to be in the garage more often than I'd like, the one lease one I had was a mistake I won't go through again). Wouldn't mind replacing my old (not sure how old) boiler though with one that can be controlled with a thermostat instead of just an on/off timer or manual on/off, but since it works and I'm bad enough at getting things done that definitely need doing I doubt that it'll get changed in the near future.

The old "keeping up with the Jones's" thing, combined with "new stuff is progress and we must have progress!" mentality that I'm frequently railing against.

What I can't understand is they go on about climate change, carbon emissions the environment and air quality deteriorating at the same time encouraging mass making of short lived toys, white goods, boilers and vehicles.......surely making things that do not get thrown away after a short period of time because they are out dated/obsolete or break and can't be repaired.....surely, making stuff that lasts longer and could be repaid easily because you can get into it and the parts are not all sealed and soldered together.......reuse and recycle and repairable must be better for the environment.

Anyway new stuff is not always better stuff........they create the policies to suit economics not the future of the environment......less waste and wants = fewer jobs and lower GDP..........little to do with saving the planet imo. ;)

Yep, "save the economy" certainly trumps "saving the planet." But the whole economic system is plain daft when it results in us producing stuff for the sake of the economy rather than ourselves; it's really a case of paying one man to dig a hole and another to fill it in again, but go through enough hoops and it somehow looks beneficial. Fewer jobs should just mean more time to spend as we please (or less need to spend resources on automation when we've got people hanging around capable of doing them) and GDP is such a pointless measurement (at least per capita would have a little bit of meaning). It's all a large-scale example of the tail wagging the dog.

I think we're stuck with it though because it simply picks one thing - maximising production of stuff and consumption of resources (which also plays into the fairly basic "grab more stuff" part of the human mind, one which served us well when we lived in caves), which removes having to actually think about what would make our lives better (because that's much harder to define and varies from person to person, despite being vastly more meaningful).

Anyway, what was the topic about? I seem to have gone off in my usual direction yet again, sorry.

Data protection.........the more data that an individual puts out there the more data there to be shared with others, others you may or may not know have access to it.

The key thing is to not to become dependant on things you may benefit from, but see to it you can live just as easily without it......such as a car, internet, mobile phone, TV or any kind of tracking device......shopping habits from cards, medical records etc.......data is very valuable to all kinds of people and companies for obvious reasons.......be aware of the many ads both cleverly and subtlety people are being bombarded with everywhere they are and everywhere they go.....see that you can avoid being influenced by them, better trust those you know who recommend who have no vested interest, happy to help via word of mouth. ;)

The ICO is a bit of a joke when it comes to running a business.

We've not one inspection in 12 years of operating - annual fee of £35, the renewal process is basically "has anything changed in your business in the last 12 months? Yes/No"