House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

juvenal

Storms Have Names Now

A bit blowy and a bit of rain and it's given a name these days. Recently there were two in the space of a couple of days the first one disappeared so quickly. It's all getting well out of hand.

It used to be called 'winter'. This was the traditional season where it was wet, cold and windy, except when it wasn't.

Now every gust of wind and cloud has a name because it is a life changing event for which we should stay at home.

Or something like that.

i have the list of names pinned up on my pinboard, i have been crossing them off marking which ones were devastating.

Gone:

Abigail

Barney

Clodagh

Desmond (a biggie)

Eva (a biggie)

Frank (a biggie)

Gertrude

Still to come:

Henry

Imogen

Jake

Katie

Lawrence

Mary

Nigel

Orla

Phil

Rhonda

Steve

Tegan

Vernon

Wendy.

It used to be called 'winter'. This was the traditional season where it was wet, cold and windy, except when it wasn't.

Now every gust of wind and cloud has a name because it is a life changing event for which we should stay at home.

Or something like that.

It's hardly been cold and has been a lot wetter than usual (probably tied to the lack of cold), so wet that it might be possible to go two weeks without rain before "extreme drought" and "hosepipe bans" appear on the headlines.

There was a woman at work with the nickname Gail force ten.

You knew it when she walked past you. :)

Was windy last night, this one should have been called Bendyfence.

Over the weekend I heard a fivelive weather person almost gleefully state that Gertrude had gone but that Henry was soon moving in - and I found it depressing. In the past a storm was a storm... acTUally, it was just a bit of weather... but by giving them names they now seem to have an elevated importance... No doubt, once Henry has come and gone, they will be focusing on the next one... and the next one...

It has just made the weather all the more depressing IMPO.

Indeed it was better when the weather was just the weather - now it's the extremist climate family.

If they want to name or number stuff they should keep it to themselves.

I've started naming my bowel movements.

This is an excellent idea.

Dump "Arthur" hit the porcelain at precisely 8:17 this morning, sending an apocalyptic tidal wave around the pan.

Can you imagine the focus group meetings they had over all of this.

No Welsh names.

Barney seems a very American name to me. I can't think of any well known British Barney's. Loads of Amercian Barney's though.

There was a woman at work with the nickname Gail force ten.

You knew it when she walked past you. :)

Was windy last night, this one should have been called Bendyfence.

Discrimination!

Can you imagine the focus group meetings they had over all of this.

No Welsh names.

Barney seems a very American name to me. I can't think of any well known British Barney's. Loads of Amercian Barney's though.

Rhonda is Welsh.

It is ridiculous.

Naming storms personalises them. Gives them greater traction in the mind; heightens perception that thing are different, that weather - and climate - are changing. Drip, drip, drip.

One can understand a proper hurricane in the US being considered an event worthy of special consideration but for the weather in the UK it justs seems so wimpy of them needing to call a heavy downpour and a bit of a gale a special name.

Weather is big business in the UK for the public sector workers at the Met. This is all part of the upping the importance of the weather so that they can angle more cash IMPO.

My part of the world regularly gets 90mph plus gusts - has done so for thousands of years before any of us were here - but recently 80 and 90 mph winds have become news. Probably just a need of the 24 hour news media to fill airwaves and copy.

In the NHS, we now get weather warnings for storms or cold snaps. ?

They're trying to distract us from the fact that few have had a pay rise since 2008.

Guest eight

Media desperately trying to distract people from the ongoing collapse of the economy.

Having said that, it's very windy outside. Although you only really notice because of the amount of crap blowing about, which ironically mostly started as people's recycling, which they put out for collection last Friday and is still circulating now.

Having said that, it's very windy outside. Although you only really notice because of the amount of crap blowing about, which ironically mostly started as people's recycling, which they put out for collection last Friday and is still circulating now.

Another take on recycling.

Are they not just using the former Hurricane names? Actually Hurricane season is June 1 to November 30! But these storms are being named in the US so its not a UK copycat thing going on