House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cashinmattress

Closure Of Uk Coal And Nuclear Plants To Create Electricity Supply Gap Of Up To 55% By 2025

http://www.imeche.org/news/news-article/closure-of-uk-coal-and-nuclear-plants-to-create-electricity-supply-gap-of-up-to-55-by-2025

UK has neither the time, resources nor enough people with the right skills to build sufficient gas-fired or nuclear power stations to plug the gap

Greater reliance on interconnectors likely to be less secure and more expensive

UK Government’s policy to close all coal-fired power stations by 2025, combined with the retirement of the majority of the UK’s ageing nuclear fleet and growing electricity demand will leave the UK facing a 40-55% electricity supply gap, according to a new report by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers.

Currently there are insufficient incentives for companies to invest in any sort of electricity infrastructure or innovation and worryingly even the Government’s own energy calculator does not allow for the scenarios that new energy policy points towards. Under current policy, it is almost impossible for UK electricity demand to be met by 2025.

I post about wind and alternative energies on this forum from time to time.

People need to get to grips with reality.

Electricity is certainly going to get more expensive.

And the frequency of energy rate increases will accelerate.

Y'all ready?

It's there for all who pay up! :blink:

They have been saying they are closing coal fired power station for decades now yet very few have actually been closed

In fact one up the road from me was closed not long ago but they are now trying to make one good boiler out of two and put it back online

I don`t think we will see a new nuke at hinkley point until 2025-30 at the earliest if not at all

It means less money in your pocket.

Then it means rationing, involuntarily, unless of course you pay.

Your 'smart' meters / appliances will throttle your usage.

It means all the NIMBY's who've marched against wind turbines will be forced to 'accept' fracking all over the country.

A lot of things really.

"Every adult is given an equal free Entitlement of TEQs units each week. Other energy users (Government, industry etc.) bid for their units at a weekly Tender, or auction."

http://www.teqs.net/summary/

If you have an hour to spare:

Do what other people do.

If you work - use the workplace heating.

If you are retired - go to the shopping centre.

At night, lights out, and sleep through the night. You can keep yourself entertained arguing with people on Twitter on a small screen smartphone.

They probably think Labour will get into government in 2020. Great timing to blame power cuts on them again and they'll probably be a three day working week by then too what with the national living wage.

They have been saying they are closing coal fired power station for decades now yet very few have actually been closed

In fact one up the road from me was closed not long ago but they are now trying to make one good boiler out of two and put it back online

I don`t think we will see a new nuke at hinkley point until 2025-30 at the earliest if not at all

I think there is only 10 left, with another couple due to close next year.

Do what other people do.

If you work - use the workplace heating.

If you are retired - go to the shopping centre.

At night, lights out, and sleep through the night. You can keep yourself entertained arguing with people on Twitter on a small screen smartphone.

Live in a house with a coal burning stove or chimney. Very cheap heat.

Biomass. Inexhausible supply of immigrants at 11MJ per Kg. Just need to site the benefit office next to the drying sheds.

Best remember as well that UK electricity usage is about 1/3 household, 1/3 industry, 1/3 commercial. They could solve the problem just by shutting down some energy-intensive industry.

[Oh, looks like they've already started.]

Biomass. Inexhausible supply of immigrants at 11MJ per Kg. Just need to site the benefit office next to the drying sheds.

Isn't that Merkel's plan? That's why she's moving them all out east to camps near the lignite power stations.

Isn't that Merkel's plan? That's why she's moving them all out east to camps near the lignite power stations.

It all makes sense now!

Best remember as well that UK electricity usage is about 1/3 household, 1/3 industry, 1/3 commercial. They could solve the problem just by shutting down some energy-intensive industry.

[Oh, looks like they've already started.]

That was obviously meant as a joke, but they plan to deal with energy peaks that they can't handle is to give incentives to industry to cut their electrify use at that particular time (sorry no link, head it on BBC wake up to money a year or 2 ago)

Power generation seems to be the issue every government wants to duck.

I love this site, dunno who on here linked me to it, but thanks:

http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

As I post in the middle of the night, Coal's contributing <3GW. Normally it's about 8GW. Winding coal stations up and down is very expensive, but they're obviously doing it. I watch the site more or less daily and for months we've been flat out taking 3GW from the French and Dutch interconects. Wind seeems to be consistent at about 4GW.

I just hope we get the EU vote in time to leave and keep our few remaining coal plants open...I guess when we leave we can invite them to shove the LCPD up their ****...

As I post in the middle of the night, Coal's contributing <3GW. Normally it's about 8GW. Winding coal stations up and down is very expensive, but they're obviously doing it. I watch the site more or less daily and for months we've been flat out taking 3GW from the French and Dutch interconects. Wind seeems to be consistent at about 4GW.

I just hope we get the EU vote in time to leave and keep our few remaining coal plants open...I guess when we leave we can invite them to shove the LCPD up their ****...

Gas prices are at recent lows. Low demand due to high temperatures Europe wide, and the fact that there has also been very low demand for LNG in Asia, has resulted in the UK acting as buyer of last resort and getting bargain prices.

The very low price of gas has shifted the market for electricity to favour gas generation over coal, as a result coal output has been much lower than last Winter.

The main difference between gas and coal plants is that gas has a greater range when efficiency remains good. Gas typically are capable of running at between 20 and 100% of capacity with no significant loss of efficiency. Whereas with coal, the range is more like 40 to 100%. As a result, coal operators will tend to want to shut down plants for the day, rather than run them significantly below 40%. The other issue is that the warm up times are different. A gas plant needs only about 15 minutes warm-up time from cold (48 hour shutdown), before it can start producing power, and can reach full power within an hour or so. A coal plant may need a 2-3 hour warm-up period, during which time it's burning coal, but not producing any power, and it can take several more hours to reach full power.

As a result, coal plant operators tend to watch the weather forecasts closely and will try to plan operations a day or two ahead, whereas gas plant are much more forgiving. The effect of this is that many coal plants tend to shutdown for the weekend when demand is lower, leaving only the most modern running which are best able to tolerate partial load.

The continual import from France and Netherlands is a reflection of the much higher cost of electricity in the UK. The interconnectors do occasionally reverse when there are sudden large demands in the respective countries (e.g. during sudden cold snaps in France, where they do not have enough flexibility in their nuclear generation, and insufficient gas plants to cope with sudden demand spikes).

My leccy bill is absolutely stupendous. It must be 150% of what it was last year, at least. and nothing has really changed.

Every huge EDF bill I get makes me still less of an environmentalist. ;)

I thought of a solution for that!

Ignoring the obvious unpleasant ones there are significantly less unpleasant and reasonably practical ones that require (non-existant) political backbone. But we're not even at the first step where they'll acknoledge that a falling population is a very good thing and an increasing one very bad, and you need to get past that hurdle before even starting to look for an acceptable solution. However even if we've got one it won't help us power-wise in the short term, although as I mentioned on another thread there's plenty of reason to believe that a lot, even a majority, of people are completely and utterly wasteful.

Could kill two birds with one stone and get rid of my electrified railway pet hate, that'll reduce generation capacity needs :)

Ignoring the obvious unpleasant ones there are significantly less unpleasant and reasonably practical ones that require (non-existant) political backbone. But we're not even at the first step where they'll acknoledge that a falling population is a very good thing and an increasing one very bad, and you need to get past that hurdle before even starting to look for an acceptable solution. However even if we've got one it won't help us power-wise in the short term, although as I mentioned on another thread there's plenty of reason to believe that a lot, even a majority, of people are completely and utterly wasteful.

Could kill two birds with one stone and railway pet hate, that'll reduce generation capacity needs :)

Hmmm.

'Waste' for the layperson is an absolute requirement in power generation the the vast majority of cases.

So leave it for the electrical engineers, which the UK doesn't have enough of, per the article.

Not a cull of humanity to suit your agenda? Whatever that is.