House Price Crash Forum

Help To Buy Isa!

Patfig

HOLA441

Apologies if this has been posted already I haven't been on here for a while. I just saw an ad on TV for a help to buy ISA for first time buyers to save for their deposit earning up to 4%pa and then the government will add another 25% to the capital. WTF is going on.

HOLA442

Apologies if this has been posted already I haven't been on here for a while. I just saw an ad on TV for a help to buy ISA for first time buyers to save for their deposit earning up to 4%pa and then the government will add another 25% to the capital. WTF is going on.

Err the government haven't got a clue what to do but want to please everybody.

HOLA443

You clearly have a rich and varied life if you hadn't heard about this - and aren't caught up with following the ******** prop after prop that the government keep adding- so massive respect for that!

It was actually announced in the main 2015 budget - nearly a year ago now. It is what it says it is, but it's more limited than a normal cash is in that you can save a max of 250 pm into it. You can have a stocks and shares is a to make up the difference to the normal ~15k pa limit.

Other than that, yes, basically you do that for 5 years max and the government add another 25% to what you've saved + interest earned. Basically the max bonus will be circa 3k. A couple can have one each.

I will be opening one as with the bonus plus the 4% rate one of the banks are offering, you might as well. Especially as it's a piddly amount pm.

So tldr. More shit, but it's shit you might as well eat.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

And of course don't forget you must take out a mortgage to qualify.

An FTB on minimum wage buying a one bed flat in Barnsley for £30k in cash using an inheritance from gran is not eligible.

A banker on £100k buying a flat in London with a mortgage for £450k is eligible to get the £3k bonus.

Who exactly are we helping here!

HOLA4410

I don't qualify for an HTB ISA as I was previously a banker's slave mortgagee. I'm rather pissed that I cannot enjoy the same rates on my current ISA. Is this discrimination?

Err the government haven't got a clue what to do but want to please everybody.

They're certainly not pleasing long term tenants!

HOLA4411

State sponsored sub-prime bubble.

I think this might shed some light on it in the context of 650 london property owning MPs

CZ4KEFMWQAAVRvm.png

CZ0p8W2WYAAmU5F.png

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

And of course don't forget you must take out a mortgage to qualify.

An FTB on minimum wage buying a one bed flat in Barnsley for £30k in cash using an inheritance from gran is not eligible.

A banker on £100k buying a flat in London with a mortgage for £450k is eligible to get the £3k bonus.

Who exactly are we helping here!

No, HTB ISA only pays out on a max property value of 250k. So it is of no use to anyone in London or the SE.

Otherwise I would have opened two accounts one for me and one for the wife as it could be worth 7k in 3 years worth of saving that's over 100 quid per month. Worth doing.

HOLA4414

No, HTB ISA only pays out on a max property value of 250k. So it is of no use to anyone in London or the SE.

Otherwise I would have opened two accounts one for me and one for the wife as it could be worth 7k in 3 years worth of saving that's over 100 quid per month. Worth doing.

Yes, I opened one on day one and have a standing order for the max £200/month. More government interference, but better than a kick in the teeth. I'm happy to have this on one side earning 4% while I wait for the big correction. :-)

Oh, but MARTIN9X was right about the £450k in London. Freaking hate all forms of London weighting. It just drives prices higher.

https://www.helptobuy.gov.uk/help-to-buy-isa/who-is-eligible/

Edited by Quicken

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

First help to buy isa payout to a couple in Colchester of £800 - Jason Page a 30 year old sustainability consultant (what is that?) and Caroline North a 27 year old nutritionist. They were so chuffed they contacted the media to share their story.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/savings/2016/02/first-help-to-buy-isa-bonuses-paid-out-as-couple-from-colchester-bag-800-between-them

HOLA4418