House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
CunningPlan

Houses V Cars

I experienced two unrelated incidents this week. I watched 'scum landlord' and I received a threatening letter for being a couple of weeks late paying my car tax (for a car that I haven't actually used since November)

For the purposes of this post, let us assume that the number of cars in the UK (33 million) is roughly similar to the number of households (27 million)

Cars have registration numbers. Houses have numbers and a postcode. The PTB know exactly how many of each exist. Houses are, however, harder to hide.

If I don't pay the correct tax on my car within 30 days I will get a fine. If I use it without paying the tax they can confiscate the vehicle.

If I don't prove my car is roadworthy by an MOT test every year I am not allowed to use it.

If I do not insure my car I commit an offence.

If I do not keep my car to a satisfactory standard (tyres, lights etc) they can take away my right to drive a car.

I need to pass a test to prove I am fit to drive a car.

If I endanger people's lives by misusing my car they will take away my right to drive a car.

Anyone that knows my car model and reg. number can check the legality of my car online.

If I want to use my car for 'hire and reward' I need all manner of licences, insurance and CRB checks.

However, if I am a slum LL of a dump of an HMO with dodgy wiring and gas, they will ask me nicely to fix it and give me ages to do so.

If I don't declare my BTL income for tax, who is to know?

I can buy a property and people farm with no training whatsoever.

If I don't bother ensuring my tenants are are safe, who cares?

Why is owning a car so regulated but owning essential shelter so unregulated?

The two are so much in parallel It surely couldn't be that hard to duplicate the DVLA system and use it to monitor housing?

Wouldn't it be great if we could log on to our property's page and check the legalities, maybe input the rent paid (like you can do with car mileage) and the like

I would be pretty sure the extra tax take would pay for the system, and no doubt the PTB could add a few extra charges well.

I am aware that a few areas are moving towards this bunch surely it needs a national approach.

I experienced two unrelated incidents this week. I watched 'scum landlord' and I received a threatening letter for being a couple of weeks late paying my car tax (for a car that I haven't actually used since November)

For the purposes of this post, let us assume that the number of cars in the UK (33 million) is roughly similar to the number of households (27 million)

Cars have registration numbers. Houses have numbers and a postcode. The PTB know exactly how many of each exist. Houses are, however, harder to hide.

If I don't pay the correct tax on my car within 30 days I will get a fine. If I use it without paying the tax they can confiscate the vehicle.

If I don't prove my car is roadworthy by an MOT test every year I am not allowed to use it.

If I do not insure my car I commit an offence.

If I do not keep my car to a satisfactory standard (tyres, lights etc) they can take away my right to drive a car.

I need to pass a test to prove I am fit to drive a car.

If I endanger people's lives by misusing my car they will take away my right to drive a car.

Anyone that knows my car model and reg. number can check the legality of my car online.

If I want to use my car for 'hire and reward' I need all manner of licences, insurance and CRB checks.

However, if I am a slum LL of a dump of an HMO with dodgy wiring and gas, they will ask me nicely to fix it and give me ages to do so.

If I don't declare my BTL income for tax, who is to know?

I can buy a property and people farm with no training whatsoever.

If I don't bother ensuring my tenants are are safe, who cares?

Why is owning a car so regulated but owning essential shelter so unregulated?

The two are so much in parallel It surely couldn't be that hard to duplicate the DVLA system and use it to monitor housing?

Wouldn't it be great if we could log on to our property's page and check the legalities, maybe input the rent paid (like you can do with car mileage) and the like

I would be pretty sure the extra tax take would pay for the system, and no doubt the PTB could add a few extra charges well.

I am aware that a few areas are moving towards this bunch surely it needs a national approach.

You know it all makes sense, I know it all makes sense, most of the people here on HPC know it makes sense......but the people responsible for implementing these suggestions are our MPs and as such are comprised of a toxic mix of people of mental incapacity with those driven by self serving greed.

Edited by anonguest

You would hope it would eventually dawn on Osborne while he's scrabbling around down the metaphorical side of the sofa that there must be a HUGE amount of unpaid tax on rental income.

Never mind the lack of any national register, the SA tax form doesn't even ask for addresses of properties - just how many. Even if they declare any at all, there's nothing to stop anyone declaring say 2 out of 5 - the chances of anyone getting caught must be so small unless tenants dob them in, and I imagine many would be too afraid it would result in eviction.

In India, there's a website called 'I paid a bribe.com', and apparently it's been very influential at getting people to stop asking for bribes (since others get to find out).

In the UK, we could set up 'I paid rent to...' dot com. It could lead to interesting places for tax dodging landlords...

Is it because they go around in government chauffeur driven cars and that's all arranged for them by others and all paid for by the taxpayer and they generally own lots of BtLs which they have an actual responsibility for including a tax responsibility.

Anyway two of the reasons

Edited by billybong

In India, there's a website called 'I paid a bribe.com', and apparently it's been very influential at getting people to stop asking for bribes (since others get to find out).

In the UK, we could set up 'I paid rent to...' dot com. It could lead to interesting places for tax dodging landlords...

That`s a great idea it would work on so many levels

You know it all makes sense, I know it all makes sense, most of the people here on HPC know it makes sense......but the people responsible for implementing these suggestions are our MPs and as such are comprised of a toxic mix of people of mental incapacity with those driven by self serving greed.

Hehe that post sums up most of the threads on here.

Shelter need to get on this. You could see who's set-up dirty companies to own large swathes of areas of housing. Top idea.

The obvious problem with this though is that people are cautious to complain about issues to landlords in case the landlord retaliates with eviction or rent increases or some other shyster move.

Not really something you can publicly comment on with anonymity unlike other sites.