House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Executive Sadman

Do Same Rules Apply Importing Car From Russia As Eu/efta?

AFAIK if you import a car from anywhere in Europe, the warranty is still valid in UK and you can also specify RHD and they cant charge more than a couple hundred quid for it.

The weak Ruble is making some stuff look real cheap.

ie. Ford Mondeo UK, from £20,495 (maybe find it for £16k on a discount site)

http://www.ford.co.uk/Cars/Mondeo

In Russia, Mondeo costs 999,000 rubles, or a little over £9k at current exchange rates.

http://www.ford.ru/Cars/All-NewMondeo

Someone I know has bought a lot of cars in Russia, in the past, and I seem to recall something has changed that makes it very hard work getting the DVLA to register them.

AFAIK if you import a car from anywhere in Europe, the warranty is still valid in UK and you can also specify RHD and they cant charge more than a couple hundred quid for it.

The weak Ruble is making some stuff look real cheap.

ie. Ford Mondeo UK, from £20,495 (maybe find it for £16k on a discount site)

http://www.ford.co.uk/Cars/Mondeo

In Russia, Mondeo costs 999,000 rubles, or a little over £9k at current exchange rates.

http://www.ford.ru/Cars/All-NewMondeo

IIRC then you have a couple of loopholes to jump through first.

general rule,throughout most EU countries is about 20% VAT(this varies from country to country,but only by 1 or 2 %)

then 8% import tax

+ registration

+ certificate of roadworthiness/MOT...I think this will still be insisted upon,even though it is a brand new motor, there will be a couple of modifications needed to meet UK specifications(ie new headlight lenses that refract left rather than right on dipped beam)

Someone I know has bought a lot of cars in Russia, in the past, and I seem to recall something has changed that makes it very hard work getting the DVLA to register them.

russia is probably not the best place to buy from, lots of paperwork and huge delays.

probably better buying from one of the new EU accession states like estonia.

How would they know if it was brand new and unregistered? ,i know you can get the birth certificate for all VW`s from Wolfs-berg i thought that's all you needed (apart from a MOT if applicable) to register a car with the DVLA

Thinking a bit more could the changes be to do with sanctions

general rule,throughout most EU countries is about 20% VAT(this varies from country to country,but only by 1 or 2 %)

then 8% import tax

+ registration

+ certificate of roadworthiness/MOT...I think this will still be insisted upon,even though it is a brand new motor, there will be a couple of modifications needed to meet UK specifications(ie new headlight lenses that refract left rather than right on dipped beam)

We have free trade within the EU are cars exempt from this free trade

We have free trade within the EU are cars exempt from this free trade

free movement is not completely free movement.

if you drive a foreign car in from the continent, you basically have to prove your stay is temporary(I think you have 6 months), or be on a commercial licence.

if not, and the vehicle has exceeded it's allowed stay, then stuff like insurance is invalidated, if it has not been UK registered by the end of said period....I think a lot of east european Brickies etc are falling foul of this law.

I did look at importing a rather nice motorbike in from france a few months ago, but after all the paperwork was done it wasn't really worth it for the age of the bike.

How would they know if it was brand new and unregistered? ,i know you can get the birth certificate for all VW`s from Wolfs-berg i thought that's all you needed (apart from a MOT if applicable) to register a car with the DVLA

Thinking a bit more could the changes be to do with sanctions

Not sure, I can get the exact details next time I see them but, I seem to recall, the closure of the regional DVLA offices has something to do with it and has prolonged the process significantly. I don't think there is any concession in the process just because the car is ostensibly new either - I don't really know the exact details but do know it's much more of a ball ache due to something changing.

then 8% import tax

+ registration

You can deduct the local VAT (in russia 18%) and add on the UK VAT

Fair point about import tax...I thought it was 10% if importing from outside EU/EFTA though.

Why import a Mondeo from Russia? You need a Chiaka or Zil limo! :blink:

free movement is not completely free movement.

if you drive a foreign car in from the continent, you basically have to prove your stay is temporary(I think you have 6 months), or be on a commercial licence.

if not, and the vehicle has exceeded it's allowed stay, then stuff like insurance is invalidated, if it has not been UK registered by the end of said period.

This happens a lot with expats on the Costa del Sol. Take a British-registered banger down there and take your chances on confiscation. Insurance etc is invalid after six months but no one can prove when you arrived there so hey, sue me....

Conversion to Spanish plates is expensive IIRC, and downright impossible for RHD >3.5t (they simply prohibit it).

I did look at importing a rather nice motorbike in from france a few months ago, but after all the paperwork was done it wasn't really worth it for the age of the bike.

I imported my father in laws bike from Germany last year - absolute doddle. The rules are much more relaxed of the vehicle is over 10 years old too. One form, a online tax declaration and an mot - all sorted in 8 days

This happens a lot with expats on the Costa del Sol. Take a British-registered banger down there and take your chances on confiscation. Insurance etc is invalid after six months but no one can prove when you arrived there so hey, sue me....

Conversion to Spanish plates is expensive IIRC, and downright impossible for RHD >3.5t (they simply prohibit it).

Why the ****** would they not just buy a banger in Spain instead ?!

Indeed. Or for ultimate retro, a Ural motorcycle sidecar.

I had one of those, but it didn't have a sidecar. :blink:

Why the ****** would they not just buy a banger in Spain instead ?!

I don't know, but lots of folk do this, including my wife when she was younger.

Lots of transient workers with shady papers or surviving in the enormous black economy by staying under the radar, usually.

Not sure, I can get the exact details next time I see them but, I seem to recall, the closure of the regional DVLA offices has something to do with it and has prolonged the process significantly. I don't think there is any concession in the process just because the car is ostensibly new either - I don't really know the exact details but do know it's much more of a ball ache due to something changing.

The closure of the regional DVLA offices has prolonged the process ,but it`s still not that bad , i bought a VW van from Germany last year it took about 5 weeks in total to have it registered,mind you i had a van with a 95 reg when it was all done they stopped production of that model in 92

My Uncle told me that LHD cars make kerb-crawling a lot easier.

And you can frighten your "passenger".