House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Fab

Ending Fixed Tenancy Agreement

I would like to end the fixed tenancy agreement from April 1st. I have to give two month notice which has "to expire on the last day of a rental period". I rent from 24th and pay rent on 20th. When is the last day of the rental period? The agent said on 23rd. I have to pay till April 23rd despite I leave the flat on the 1st. He promised to talk to my landlord to see whether he agrees on giving notice from the 1st day of the months but I did not hear from him. When would be the best to give written notice? Initially I was planning to end from April 1st? Will they expect me to deliver the key on April 1st despite I am paying till 23rd?

I would like to end the fixed tenancy agreement from April 1st. I have to give two month notice which has "to expire on the last day of a rental period". I rent from 24th and pay rent on 20th. When is the last day of the rental period? The agent said on 23rd. I have to pay till April 23rd despite I leave the flat on the 1st. He promised to talk to my landlord to see whether he agrees on giving notice from the 1st day of the months but I did not hear from him. When would be the best to give written notice? Initially I was planning to end from April 1st? Will they expect me to deliver the key on April 1st despite I am paying till 23rd?

By law you have to give one months notice before the anniversary of the tenancy ie the 24th.If you want to leave April 1st you will have to pay to April 23rd.

By law you have to give one months notice before the anniversary of the tenancy ie the 24th.If you want to leave April 1st you will have to pay to April 23rd.

My tenancy agreement says that I have to give 2 months notice if I would like to end earlier. If I leave on March 24th, than it's too late to give notice, right?

One of my favourite, lesser know aspects of tenancy law is that you have the right to leave *without notice* on the day the fixed term expires or beforehand, regardless of what it says on the contract.

They can try pursuing you, but provided you've made no undertakings to stay, they will lose. You may ruin any chance of a reference of course!

One of my favourite, lesser know aspects of tenancy law is that you have the right to leave *without notice* on the day the fixed term expires or beforehand, regardless of what it says on the contract.

Well, they never allowed switching to the rolling contract and always contacted me themselves 2 months before end of agreement. And I hope to get back (part) of the deposit.

If you're paying until the 23rd then the key, and the property, are yours until then. Of course there's nothing stopping you from giving the key back before then if you want but it can't be demanded, and shouldn't be let out again during that time (that would be trying to rent out the same property to different people at the same time).

If you're paying until the 23rd then the key, and the property, are yours until then. Of course there's nothing stopping you from giving the key back before then if you want but it can't be demanded, and shouldn't be let out again during that time (that would be trying to rent out the same property to different people at the same time).

I spoke to the agent again. We agreed that if they find a new tenant from April 1st, they will give me money back. He promised even to produce an official document about it. I believe they won't do double renting as it can give them problems.

The agent said that even if I return keys before the 1st, I'll be responsible for the property till 23rd and have to pay utility bills and council tax. One important thing to mention - I am leaving the country. But I do not want to damage the credit history or anything like that. Anyway, I would like to stop utilities myself and from April 1st because physically I won't live in the flat in April. I'm not sure about council tax. I would like to close by bank account before leaving but probably I will have to keep it to get the deposit back.

Btw, how to notify electricity and water companies? Is there a notice period?

Could someone shed light on Council Tax? I am paying rent till 23rd april but return keys on 31st march.

Do I have to pay till 23rd of April of 31st of March?

I'd have thought that since you're still officially renting until the 23rd of April you'll still be responsible for paying the council tax until then, but don't take my word for it.

With the utility bills I've never given any notice when I've left, just phoned up with my final meter reading in the old place and a first one in the new, never had any trouble. You'll probably be responsible for those too until the 23rd (again, check, don't take my word on it).

If your tenancy agreement says you are responsible for the CT then you are responsible for the CT. However that is an agreement between you and your LL.

In practice if you advise the council you leaving on the 31st of March and give them your LL's details then the council should bill them instead. What is your councils policy on empty homes?

If someone else moves in after you hand back the keys then your LL can give the council their details or a bill to the new occupier will arrive at the house automatically after you tell the council you are leaving.

It would then be up to your LL to chase you for the missing council tax if there were no other occupants and take it from your bond or take you to court.

Edited by Flopsy

Could someone shed light on Council Tax? I am paying rent till 23rd april but return keys on 31st march.

Will you still be resident between 23rd and 31st? Then yes, Council Tax is due. Otherwise no.

Council tax is the responsibility of the people living at the address, if you aren't living there it isn't your problem regardless of the tenancy agreement

Additionally if you are paying rent until 23rd April then they shouldn't have other tenants in until this day, if they do you are probably entitled to some of your rent back!

Council tax is the responsibility of the people living at the address, if you aren't living there it isn't your problem regardless of the tenancy agreement

Where's the line drawn? You don't get away with no council tax for a month if you go away for a month, and there's the different second home rate.

Where's the line drawn? You don't get away with no council tax for a month if you go away for a month, and there's the different second home rate.

If you go away for a month you still live there (defined as it being your primary address), if you move somewhere else its not your primary address hence you don't "live there", also the reason for the second home rate

Hopefully that makes sense

Thanks for your replies. It seems there is no clear answer to my question. Probably my other question is easier. If I am leaving the property and do not start paying a council tax for another property (I am leaving the country), do I need to notify the council about change of address? My current council bill expires with the end of my tenancy agreement. As far as I remember, one needs to sign for direct debit again when receives a bill for the next year. They won't start taking money from my account automatically, right?

Mmmm, I looked at the online form for changing address and there are questions when is the end of the tenancy agreement, when is the moving out date and when was the furniture moved out.

My AST has expired which is fine cause I want to remain on a statutory periodic tenancy.

I phoned the estate agents and they checked on their system about the property. They said it has to be a minimum of 6 months..

Is this at request of the landlord or typical EA lies?

I found SPT in the tenancy agreement mentioned and it said it has to be agreed by the landlord. The EA exclusively does renting.

Edited by Assume The Opposite

My AST has expired which is fine cause I want to remain on a statutory periodic tenancy.

I phoned the estate agents and they checked on their system about the property. They said it has to be a minimum of 6 months..

Is this at request of the landlord or typical EA lies?

I found SPT in the tenancy agreement mentioned and it said it has to be agreed by the landlord. The EA exclusively does renting.

They probably want to sign you back up to a fixed period rather than go onto a periodic tenancy.

Just to update you guys.. I went into the EA and asked why I had to do the AST of 6 months minimum. Turns out it is what landlords and the EA prefer. I then took a chance and mentioned the reason for wanting to go onto a SPT was because I'm buying a house...

No problem! They were quite understanding and they seem to be used to it.. No renewal fee, no 6 month AST, remain on a SPT. :P:)