House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Sheffield To Essex Is Cheaper Via Berlin

I'm parking my cynicism on this one, this is absolutely brilliant - the boy done good.

Teenager saves £7.72 on his train journey from Sheffield to Essex… by taking a PLANE via Berlin
  • Jordon Cox spent £44.07 on flight from Sheffield to Shenfield
  • If he had made the journey by train it would have cost £51.79
  • But it took him 13 hours to get home - compared to three-and-a-half
  • He travelled an extra 1,017 miles - and crammed in a tour of Berlin

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3419238/Teenager-saves-7-72-train-journey-Sheffield-Essex-taking-PLANE-Berlin.html

And this includes spending a fiver to get from the airport to Berlin and back to have a walk round. I haven't even been to Berlin and he's done it on his journey home.

Genius.

You can save money on most long-distance journeys in the UK by going via Dublin. That's based on single tickets (a return doubles the cost), but for example a single fare from Plymouth to any of Oxford, London or Brighton (all destinations I've been to in recent times) would be cheaper via Dublin.

Of course the ticket price is just one part of travel costs. But a more realistic view doesn't make a story.

If you actually check the prices, say for 3 weeks time, it's pretty easy to get a train fare for 25 to 30 quid, and it's pretty hard to get a ryanairflight for under 20 one way. I suspect he spent a long time searching for a day on which he could get two cheap ryanairflight (that's often the tricky bit) and no cheap trains were available.

I must admit, I didn't realise ryanair still did flights for a tenner or under. I've been ignoring them for the past few years because they were no cheaper than easyjet, but might have to start keeping an eye out for them.

I call ********. A train for Monday costs £33. The mega bus tomorrow to London costs £6 and then another £10 for a train the rest of the way. So both cheaper and both save you between 4 and 6 hours. Yet the media is holding him up as some sort of money saving guru.

And if he really wanted to save money and time was not a concern he could walk it in 3 days!

Isn't the point that he's some money saving guru who love saving a few £££? Yet he's getting coverage for doing a journey that takes more time (time is money) and costs more than getting a later train or a bus. Generally trains cost more as you have to be somewhere at a specific time but if you have a days flexibility (like this guy did) then you can get earlier or later trains for much less.

I think you've missed the point.

The point being our train service would be used by more people if it were not so expensive, whilst there are still viable and more comfortable and reliable alternatives why would anyone pay extra to use it as much as you would love to. ....2nd class train service for 1st class price. ;)

The point being our train service would be used by more people if it were not so expensive, whilst there are still viable and more comfortable and reliable alternatives why would anyone pay extra to use it as much as you would love to. ....2nd class train service for 1st class price. ;)

Agreed

A single journey from Brighton to Guildford costs £22.70 off peak without a railcard even if booking a month in advance. Bizarrely a ticket from Worthing to Guildford is even more expensive at £25.70 even though geographically it is closer. You won't find many discounts on those journeys even if you nominate a particular train, route and time. It costs more to travel by train to the next county in some parts of the UK than it does to fly to many European destinations. Indeed, the plane journey can be cheaper than the rail journey to the airport and you get a seat on the bloody plane which you often do not on the train.

I must admit, I didn't realise ryanair still did flights for a tenner or under. I've been ignoring them for the past few years because they were no cheaper than easyjet, but might have to start keeping an eye out for them.

once you add in all of the little traps they set,that's a bit of a rarity.

of all the budget airlines out there, I have to say ryanair is one i would prefer to avoid.

bmi= ok

vueling/germanwings=ok

monarch=ok

easyjet=so so, now they changed their hand baggage rules, not as good as they were...they treat laptop case as hand luggage now,so not good there.Business day trip acceptable,expensive for any other(if overnight stay required)- they should rethink this.

thomson= hand baggage limit too low(only 5kg, and you get stung heavily for anything over, fine for 2-3 day weekend break,not more)

norwegian= very good.modern planes and decent baggage limit.their fleet all have wi-fi too so can work on the plane