House Price Crash Forum

Rescued Nine Times In 7 Months - But Planning To Cross The Atlantic

Bossybabe

HOLA441

Exceptions that prove the rule. The Poole Fisher sank in February south of the Isle of Wight in the early eighties. Of the eleven crew only one was rescued alive - a fit well built young man in his twenties. Everyone else died. That's my personal experience.

HSE's view:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/research/otopdf/1995/oto95038.pdf

I was near the mark at 4 hours then?

HOLA442
HOLA443

The exception.

I go with your opinion. I volunteer on a boat run daily in summer by a charity. We do trips for the disabled. All our crew do RYA first aid training and we get help from RNLI. We are taught that immersion can mean death in minutes. Inability to breathe after the shock of cold water immersion can drown the strongest swimmers. Overboard in winter water temperature quickly kills.

These American bus-pass sailors are arrogant old fools. The condition of their boat tells it all.

HOLA444

The exception.

I go with your opinion. I volunteer on a boat run daily in summer by a charity. We do trips for the disabled. All our crew do RYA first aid training and we get help from RNLI. We are taught that immersion can mean death in minutes. Inability to breathe after the shock of cold water immersion can drown the strongest swimmers. Overboard in winter water temperature quickly kills.

These American bus-pass sailors are arrogant old fools. The condition of their boat tells it all.

20 minutes in our waters is a very good rule of thumb

I'd still wear a life jacket however, as it will help the rescue services find your body more quickly so not putting others at risk.

HOLA445

I go with your opinion. I volunteer on a boat run daily in summer by a charity. We do trips for the disabled. All our crew do RYA first aid training and we get help from RNLI. We are taught that immersion can mean death in minutes.

I'd take everything anyone tells you with a pinch of salt.

Chances are you'll die in minutes but due to drowning not hypothermia.

DYOR etc

http://www.hse.gov.uk/research/otopdf/1995/oto95038.pdf

HOLA446

I've spent hours off the coast of Cornwall in February wearing only a 5x3. Turns out I'm a shit surfer but a fine sea swimmer. I even got a bit of a suntan for my trouble- I never caught a wave but I caught more sun than anybody else in the British isles in February. Freckles aplenty.

HOLA447

I've spent hours off the coast of Cornwall in February wearing only a 5x3. Turns out I'm a shit surfer but a fine sea swimmer. I even got a bit of a suntan for my trouble- I never caught a wave but I caught more sun than anybody else in the British isles in February. Freckles aplenty.

I think the difference is when you're in the middle of the Atlantic in gale force winds you struggle to breath through the waves and spray. If you don't have a life jacket and/or wet/dry suit your muscles weaken and it's harder to keep your airways clear.

In terms of pure "cold effects" it will be a few degrees cooler out away from the coast but otherwise as you say, with the right gear and under the right conditions most fit people would be fine for quite a while.

• 4 weeks later...
HOLA448
HOLA449

Archived