House Price Crash Forum

Jo Konta

DEATH

HOLA441

Anyone else been following her? Watched her play at Nottingham in 2013 and 2014, it was free entry too back then.

She was born in Australia, her parents are Hungarian, family moved to UK when she was 14 (aged 24 now) and she plays for Britain. She has 3 passports she said in an interview.

"Actually I am a tri-citizen," she said. "I've got a Hungarian passport as well. Just add that into the mix - I'm pretty much the female version of Jason Bourne."

I doubt her family's move here when she was just 14 was about her future tennis career but they keep bringing up her being born in Australia. Laura Robson was too but nobody mentions that.

It should be enough she chose to play for us over the Aussies!

Hope she makes the final tomorrow.

HOLA442

You see, the mistake you've made here DEATH is to post a factual thread with interesting information and a patriotic vibe. No-one is going to reply to that. What you should have done is......

800px-Johanna_Konta_Cagnes_2014.JPG

Post pictures!!

(Here's one of Laura Robson for good measure)

laura-robson-photoshoot-by-daniel-hambur

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Good player who's made the most of what's been a fairly kind draw. Beating Venus Williams is an eye catching result but truth she's on her way down.

She's got an outside chance against Kerber too, although Kerber is one of the most consistent competitors on the circuit - there are a few better players than her but it's rare she ever has what would be considered a "poor game".

Even if Konta does win the semi though, she's got no chance in the final.

Oh... would, by the way.

HOLA4412

I have lots of contradictory views. I'm quite fond of tennis, and genuinly don't mind the nationality of the players. In fact, British players spoil it, because they mess up the TV coverage of lots of good matches.

In most other sports, I am mildly to very pro British.

I generally don't consider "immigrants" to be the British players that I am mildly or very pro.

If someone is going to merit my support just through the coincidence of us both being British, then they need to have grown up in a town like me, had the same sort of schooling and sports opportunities as me. Just wanting to live in my country makes them sympathetic, but not necessarily supportworthy. ( Even those who really do desparately want to be British, e.g Greg Rusedski)

It annoys me that many of out sports stars are immigrants or pulic schoolbays. It is a failure of the education system and the state, and the government takes credit for the success despite its counterproductive policies and mismanagement.

I've never seen Konta playing, so I hope she's good, as it sounds like I'm going to be seeing a lot of her in the future.

HOLA4413

I generally don't consider "immigrants" to be the British players that I am mildly or very pro.

If someone is going to merit my support just through the coincidence of us both being British, then they need to have grown up in a town like me, had the same sort of schooling and sports opportunities as me.ah Just wanting to live in my country makes them sympathetic, but not necessarily supportworthy. ( Even those who really do desparately want to be British, e.g Greg Rusedski)

It annoys me that many of out sports stars are immigrants or pulic schoolbays. It is a failure of the education system and the state, and the government takes credit for the success despite its counterproductive policies and mismanagement.

I've never seen Konta playing, so I hope she's good, as it sounds like I'm going to be seeing a lot of her in the future.

Yeah so it's a massive failure of the overstretched uk education system that they aren't picking indigenous future sports stars from the age of 11 and expoliting them ruthlessly, and thus it's down to individuals to do their best, with their parents pushing them...

TBH sport isn't important. It's entertainment. I don't know yet if I'll have kids; if I do I'll insist they try their absolute best to be good at some sport be it football or tennis as that's where the money is, or Beach Volleyball if they're female and somehow escape our lumpy genetics. TBH I'd be a better person if my parents had pushed me far harder as a teenager to not quit athletics and do the Decathlon after I proved to be not quite good enough at sprinting/throwing/jumping.

HOLA4414

Yeah so it's a massive failure of the overstretched uk education system that they aren't picking indigenous future sports stars from the age of 11 and expoliting them ruthlessly, and thus it's down to individuals to do their best, with their parents pushing them...

TBH sport isn't important. It's entertainment....

it would be quite nice even if our school system could even teach people to just enjoy sport.

But competitive sport is either important or unimportant. If it's not important, we should stop bothering having wall to wall TV coverage and importing foreign trained ringers. If it's important, then we should make an effort ourselves.

(ps, try making sure your wife or future child bearer undertakes a bit of light exercise during gestation - just a theory of mine)

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

TBH sport isn't important. It's entertainment. I don't know yet if I'll have kids; if I do I'll insist they try their absolute best to be good at some sport be it football or tennis as that's where the money is, or Beach Volleyball if they're female and somehow escape our lumpy genetics. TBH I'd be a better person if my parents had pushed me far harder as a teenager to not quit athletics and do the Decathlon after I proved to be not quite good enough at sprinting/throwing/jumping.

Can't remember who it was but, some years ago, someone did describe Wimbledon as an annual who's got the pushiest parent contest.

HOLA4417

Saw the end of her match with Kerber. Didn't really come to a definitive judgement, but definitely a solid performer compared to previous British women. Was a bit ungainly looking, and needs a bit more muscle. Kerber looks a bit steroidy. The thighs and eyes.

Actually, I haven't really thought it through before, but I've sort of lost interest in the omen's game over the last few years, and I've just realised, they're all just a bunch of sloggers these days. The men's game has more variety, more beauty and elegance.

HOLA4418

Actually, I haven't really thought it through before, but I've sort of lost interest in the omen's game over the last few years, and I've just realised, they're all just a bunch of sloggers these days. The men's game has more variety, more beauty and elegance.

That certainly strikes a chord with me.

I got entirely fed up with the men's game mainly because of people like "Pistol" Pete and Lendl boring me to tears by turning it into a serving contest and always watched the women's tennis instead.

But with first Federer and now Murray the men's game has gone back to the skilled contest that I remembered pre-Pete and it's good to watch and consistently better than the women's game these days which still has far too many players who shouldn't really be there losing 6-0 6-0 in half an hour.

Archived