House Price Crash Forum

Not Nimbys This Time But Bird Lovers, Potentially Fecking It For Everybody.

cashinmattress

HOLA441

http://renewables.seenews.com/news/update-future-of-448-mw-scottish-wind-farm-hinges-on-judicial-review-510589

A consortium led by energy firm InterGen is in exclusive talks to buy the 448-MW Neart na Gaoithe wind project off Scotland, but it all depends on the outcome of a judicial review.

Under the terms of its Contract for Difference (CfD), the offshore wind scheme has to reach financial close by March 26. A spokesman for the project’s developer, Mainstream Renewable Power, told the Irish Independent that missing the deadline would create uncertainty. “[..] we don't know for sure what would happen after that, we can't say," he was cited as saying.

The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB) Scotland in early 2015 challenged in court the Scottish government’s approval of four offshore wind projects of nearly 2.3 GW, among which is the Neart na Gaoithe proposal. The financial close and sale of the project depend on the results of the judicial review and its timely completion.

As announced yesterday, Mainstream is in exclusive discussions with InterGen, Siemens Project Ventures, The Marguerite Fund and Infrared Capital to take the wind farm to financial close and into construction. Financial details on the deal are not available. The report says the consortium is expected to bring GBP 500 million (USD 717.4m/EUR 660.7m) in equity for the project.

Planned for the Outer Forth Estuary in the North Sea, the wind farm will use Siemens' 7-MW turbines. It has secured a 15-year Contract for Difference (CfD) at a strike price of GBP 114.38 per MWh, which Andy Kinsella, chief operating officer (COO) at Mainstream, says is the lowest rate achieved for offshore wind in the UK.

The Neart na Gaoithe offshore wind farm has already received several offers for power purchase agreements (PPAs) for its full output over the term of the CfD, Mainstream added. The deals are currently under negotiation. The contracts for the equipment and construction have been agreed and the needed debt funding has been sourced from commercial banks.

FFS. Cats kill millions of indigenous birds and critters every year.

A few sea birds are somehow a problem?

2.3 GW is a massive benefit and it will create 1000's of jobs.

And will be a massive benefit to Supergrid.

These RSPB folk should be made to live off grid, or beside Sellafield to get to grips with reality.

HOLA442
HOLA443

Ultimately mankind will have to decide whether we want to protect species of animals that are rare or endangered. I would argue that there are too many people, so the animals should be protected. After all, it is humans that that are killing the animals, destroying their homes etc not the other way around.

HOLA444

Right, we're coming up with "solutions" to problems that shouldn't exist in the first place. Even without the obvious far too many people issue heaven knows what people are wasting energy on. My energy provider has a "compare your usage with similar properties" thing that gave me 75% less gas and 63% less electricity than average, and I don't bother going out of my way to save it. Even when I changed the parameters to what should be the most efficient (modern flat instead of probably 19th century end terrace with crappy boiler) I was still a long way above the average (it claimed to adjust for not having been in a whole year and for the time of year). So heaven knows what people are wasting it all on.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Right, we're coming up with "solutions" to problems that shouldn't exist in the first place. Even without the obvious far too many people issue heaven knows what people are wasting energy on. My energy provider has a "compare your usage with similar properties" thing that gave me 75% less gas and 63% less electricity than average, and I don't bother going out of my way to save it. Even when I changed the parameters to what should be the most efficient (modern flat instead of probably 19th century end terrace with crappy boiler) I was still a long way above the average (it claimed to adjust for not having been in a whole year and for the time of year). So heaven knows what people are wasting it all on.

How many people live in your property? What age are they? Do they all work/are they out all day?

I do agree with you in general though. Our gas+electric runs to £1100 per year. That's with 2 adults, 3-4 children aged 6-18 and one partner working in the home looking after more children. Just how the absolute f#@*! are all the other people in our street so wasteful?

HOLA448

1 person, and how many people was one of the questions. I don't think that age and in all day were part of it. Age will have an effect on heating but I'd find it odd if it does on electricity; I'd guess that spending quite a bit of time on a computer with a 600 W power supply (not that it'll be drawing max power all the time but I do spend a fair bit of time playing games on it) isn't something an old person is likely to be doing that much, so might balance that out somewhat. As does the fan constantly running the cellar (otherwise mould appears on everything in there).

It'll be interesting to try again after I've been there for a year, to see if the adjustment was reasonable. I know that it's been a very mild winter but hopefully the relative figures will still be meaningful.

Anyway it all doesn't help my opinion of things I don't like, like wind turbines, when numbers like this suggest that we shouldn't be needing anything like the amount of electricity generation we've got (or is domestic usage a small proportion?)

HOLA449

Ultimately mankind will have to decide whether we want to protect species of animals that are rare or endangered. I would argue that there are too many people,

so we just have to cull the ones breeding like rabbits,or at least train them to put something back in the system.

I've said before, sentencing burglars and petty criminals to x amount of KWH power generation for their crimes, powered by dynamo treadmills hooked up to the national grid, might be a solution.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Archived