House Price Crash Forum
eric pebble

Are You Amazed As To How Anyone Can Afford To Live In The Uk?

How many of you out there agree with this statement??

I am genuinely amazed --- HOW are people surviving out there?? HOW?!???

Pink Floyd star: London's a ghetto for super-rich:

Despite strumming out a successful career on stage, former Pink Floyd bassist Guy Pratt admits even he is affronted by the cost of living in Britain. 'I don't know what's happening to London, especially Notting Hill,' says Pratt, who grew up in the affluent West London neighbourhood.
'It's become a super-rich ghetto, while everyone else is struggling to keep their heads above water. It's just not right. It's happening everywhere, too, not just London.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3418445/SEBASTIAN-SHAKESPEARE-Actress-Sadie-Frost-s-controversial-295-breast-scans-reveal-high-risk-developing-cancer.html#ixzz3yRGHvKa8

Edited by eric pebble

I live in the cheapest part of Cambridge. The cheapest house you can buy is now over £300k.

A bog standard modern house on an estate is nearly half a million.

The type of house most of my friends (by no means rich) grew up in (60's houses in the inner suburbs or detached houses in villages) near £1m.

Who is buying them?!

I live in the cheapest part of Cambridge. The cheapest house you can buy is now over £300k.

The type of house most of my friends (by no means rich) grew up in (60's houses in the inner suburbs or detached houses in villages) near £1m.

Who is buying them?!

people with money printing machines :D

Guest eight

Went to Ikea at Gateshead on Sunday. Despite the recent thread on it here, the place was rammed - I've never seen anything like it. Massive checkout queues, full car park, no trolleys etc. Called in at Toby Carvery for lunch on the way home - 45 minute wait for a table. On the other hand, drove up that way again yesterday, lost count of the number of broken down vehicles (out of petrol?) that I passed.

A sign of the times for me is the number of celebrities, who you would think would be minted for life, degrading themselves to endorse fairly low end products.

Who is buying them?!

SERIOUSLY guys --- SERIOUSLY!!?!?!??

SOMETHING IS JUST NOT RIGHT HERE!?!? SOMETHING IS WRONG!!

WE NEED TO UNDERSTAND HOW THIS CAN BE THE STATUS QUO ---

WE NEED TO UNDERSTAND WHERE THIS "MONEY" IS COMING FROM! THIS IS ABSOLUTELY FUNDAMENTALLY IMPORTANT!!!

WHERE IS THIS "MONEY" COMING FROM????

Edited by eric pebble

Who is buying them?!

Speculators, investors, foreign, ponzi scheme participants and idiots

Here's what's supporting prices

CZuIO5RWYAAX67e.png##

I guess the banks have been lending to any tom dick and harry happy to sign over a 20/50/60/100K deposit to them cause they know they'll be getting back that + 20% when it collapses.

#CaveatEmptor

WE NEED TO UNDERSTAND WHERE THIS "MONEY" IS COMING FROM! THIS IS ABSOLUTELY FUNDAMENTALLY IMPORTANT!!!

THE TAX PAYERS AND YOUR CHILDRENS FUTURES

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

APART from housing I dont actually think the UK is too bad when it comes to general cost of living - if you dont mind picking and choosing.

Of course that APART is pretty important and ******s everything else up.

Spend spend spend.

Chancellor-of-the-Exchequer-George-Osbor

It's the 'boiling a frog' syndrome - people adjust. Credit cards muddy the waters.

Clearest sign wages are rapidly deteriorating compared to the true (hpi driven) cost of living is when people start moving 'further out' - especially clear in London.

It's the 'boiling a frog' syndrome - people adjust. Credit cards muddy the waters.

Clearest sign wages are rapidly deteriorating compared to the true (hpi driven) cost of living is when people start moving 'further out' - especially clear in London.

Speculators, investors, foreign, ponzi scheme participants and idiots

Here's what's supporting prices

CZuIO5RWYAAX67e.png##

I guess the banks have been lending to any tom dick and harry happy to sign over a 20/50/60/100K deposit to them cause they know they'll be getting back that + 20% when it collapses.

#CaveatEmptor

This is MADNESS!!??! NO??!?

It is simply

UNSUSTAINABLE.

Called in at Toby Carvery for lunch on the way home - 45 minute wait for a table.

Why would anyone wait for a table at 'Toby Carvery' (whatever that is)?

Edited by Errol

It is simply

UNSUSTAINABLE.

Look on the bright side - if it had topped and stayed stable at the 2009-2012 plateau it might have been sustainable.

It isn't everywhere though is it. Plenty places where you can buy a decent house for a reasonable sum of money.

The problem is finding jobs in these areas. We have already left London (moved once again since then after being made redundent) and the property bubble from the ripple of people leaving is pushing up the prices of houses further way.

It's finding secure jobs and an affordable house in the same area that is the problem stopping us moving further away. We have already tried that and failed once in a more remote area.

Edited by Flopsy

I don't know what to say.

'Cost' of living based upon one factor... yeah. Expensive houses in perhaps 5% of the county? Boo hoo.

But considering other relevant factors such as availability of food & sustenance, energy, personal security & liberties, access to education, health care....

FFS, it's cheap people. Get out and travel more.

Subject in OP (Pratt) needs should get himself to Kandahar or Mumbai perhaps.

I certainly don't need some unenlightened rich tw@t like this advocating for the people.

Welcome to Britain!

The problem is finding jobs in these areas. We have already left London and the property bubble from the ripple of people leaving is pushing up the prices of houses further way. It's finding secure jobs and an affordable house in the same area that is the problem stopping us moving further away. We have already tried that and failed once.

This is a problem.....fewer so called 'secure' jobs, or jobs for life with added benefits......when taking on a long-term debt or paying rent that can cover the cost of bringing a growing family up to maturity requires a secure regular monthly payment every month for approx 25 years......herein lies a major flaw. ;)

.....edit to say: If people cannot save something as well as paying ongoing living costs how can they provide their family with a safety net for the inevitable rainy days?

Edited by winkie

APART from housing I dont actually think the UK is too bad when it comes to general cost of living - if you dont mind picking and choosing.

Of course that APART is pretty important and ******s everything else up.

Definately agree.

I'd say the UK is a fantastically cheap place to live APART from the most expensive thing.

If you make use of Ebay/Guntree/Freecycle you can get anything you want.

On Amazon Marketplace I can get books/games/music for a fraction of the new price .

I can have stuff couriered to my front door for a couple of £.

But I'd swap all that conveinience for a nice house with a good sized garden in a pleasant location.

It is simply

UNSUSTAINABLE.

Yes, it's madness....the BIG problem/question is how will it end this time !!!!

They had 1 little chance to do an orderly deflation in 2012, like 2004, but no, they wanted a pre-election bubble !!!!

It's insane, truly insane.

Look on the bright side - if it had topped and stayed stable at the 2009-2012 plateau it might have been sustainable.

That was their best bet, then try and generate real jobs, but hey, they should have done that in 2004.

We're basically seeing the railway mania being played out in front of our eyes.

Definately agree.

I'd say the UK is a fantastically cheap place to live APART from the most expensive thing.

If you make use of Ebay/Guntree/Freecycle you can get anything you want.

On Amazon Marketplace I can get books/games/music for a fraction of the new price .

I can have stuff couriered to my front door for a couple of £.

But I'd swap all that conveinience for a nice house with a good sized garden in a pleasant location.

Haha - I wouldn't! My thinking has flipped. Stuff the ball and chain of a pile of bricks that I have to maintain, and enjoy all the other things in life. As you say - the rest of the benefits are extremely tangible.

Edited by Frugal Git