House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Relatively Minor Things That Please Me No End

Rumble strips (as suggested by CCC on another thread) really do bring a warm glow to the heart... Simple idea, gently spring into action when needed.

A decent potato peeler (mine's an Oxo good grip)... Less than a fiver, bliss.

The internet... Just simple things like being able to instantly google a picture or tune to show my 4yr old daughter when describing something.

Taking cuttings from Rosemary and lavender in my usual hamfisted way, with most actually surviving.

Rumble strips (as suggested by CCC on another thread) really do bring a warm glow to the heart... Simple idea, gently spring into action when needed.

A decent potato peeler (mine's an Oxo good grip)... Less than a fiver, bliss.

The internet... Just simple things like being able to instantly google a picture or tune to show my 4yr old daughter when describing something.

Taking cuttings from Rosemary and lavender in my usual hamfisted way, with most actually surviving.

I assume you have just acquired a job lot of spud peelers and are knocking them out on eBay ? Either that or I'm worried how the good grip can be causing you bliss ? This is not normal in any context.

A really good fart, first thing in the morning.

I second that!!

and I'll raise you a dump.

has to be the right sort of dump though, not too runny.

just enough back pressure to feel that slight euphoria of relief without blasting through like a champagne cork.

Not sure if its minor... Coming home from work and being greeted with hugs from my two boys and my still excitable 11 year old Labrador, obviously not hugs off the dog but you get the picture.

* I've used the term hugs as most of you non Welsh people would not understand cwtches, normally I'd never use the term.

Snuggling down in warm flannelette sheets in bed on a cold, dark, wet, windy Monday morning, knowing that my colleagues are all slogging through the weather to go to work and I'm beginning my weekend...like I've just done!

I second that!!

and I'll raise you a dump.

has to be the right sort of dump though, not too runny.

just enough back pressure to feel that slight euphoria of relief without blasting through like a champagne cork.

Seconded on the poo front.

In fact, even rusty-bum water poos are fine, as they usually signal the stop of severe stomach pains.

I'll also add:

Watching birds in the garden

Pulling our a mutant hair from my beard (the ones where 4 or more hairs seem to sprout from the same follicle)

Pulling into a car park and someone gives me their part-used ticket out of kindness

Writing an obscenely long formula in excel with all sorts of nested statements, and it works the first time (BIMDAS is a beautiful thing)

Seeing a little flock of long-tailed tits on the bird feeder.

Remembering to pick up the right end of the soldering iron for once.

Tea.

Fire (in the right place).

Looking through the kitchen window and seeing boats going past on the canal.

Roast potatoes

A good toilet - had some minor med difficulties over the years, but seem to have got this ok now.

Walking with the sun on my face (needless to say not had this for months)

A solid sleep of at least 5 hours

Being able to say my football team is Leicester City without needing to apologise.

A nice cup of tea after a cooked dinner - bliss.

Being able to say my football team is Leicester City without needing to apologise.

:D

Most people I know (including me) follow smaller teams, one down as far as the Conference South, and you learn a good line in self-deprecating humour "I follow XXX - somebody has to!" so after all the years of the patronising from the people who plucked their arbitrary team from the top four of the premiership it's really nice to see a different club up there and beating them, and with an English ex non-league player breaking goal scoring records.

Guest eight

You must be finding things fairly surreal at the moment then?

It's no wonder the "top four" are struggling at the moment - watching Liverpool labour last night, and Man Utd's epic blank firing, the likes of Stoke, West Ham, Watford and especially Leicester have better players. It's a total failure of scouting by the bigger teams. I'd love to know if Kante or Payet were on the radar of Manchester United when they hilariously snapped up the ten years past his best but way famous Schweinstiger.

Guest eight

I know this goes against the tenor of this thread but 'rumble strips'? Are you f*cking joking? :rolleyes:

The ones at the end of the A66(M) that I drive over every day are actually dangerous because they bounce the car around when you're supposed to be braking.

I know this goes against the tenor of this thread but 'rumble strips'? Are you f*cking joking? :rolleyes:

For me they represent government largesse in the Labour years along with white stripes down the middle of narrow country lanes, more signs than ever before that are the major cause of motor cycle deaths on the roads, painted red patches, overhead gantries. All things that lead to brutalisation of the visual environment and actually the spending hides the fact that we haven't built nor fundamentally improved the basic infrastructure one iota...yet the cost per mile to build and maintain has gone up exponentially. The only reason deaths have gone down is because the traffic moves so slowly these days and kids don't go out.

If all the money spent on that means none left to build more stuff then they definitely belong in this thread as far as I'm concerned.

Does their usage vary geographically though? They're not something I really associate with roads these days that much, I associate them far more with being driven around as a kid in the 80s (if we're talking about the ones at the end of a dual carriageway instead of the smaller ones at the start and end of every speed limit change).

a nice pair of bristol citys

Good man, a fellow small club follower.

For me they represent government largesse in the Labour years along with white stripes down the middle of narrow country lanes, more signs than ever before that are the major cause of motor cycle deaths on the roads, painted red patches, overhead gantries. All things that lead to brutalisation of the visual environment and actually the spending hides the fact that we haven't built nor fundamentally improved the basic infrastrucutre one iota...yet the cost per mile to build and maintain has gone up exponentially. The only reason deaths have gone down is because the traffic moves so slowly these days and kids don't go out.

I agree with rumble strips being a clever, good, non-intrusive, and sensible addition to long straight boring roads on which people do drift, especially in the dark.

Your other things belong on the other thread.

I agree with rumble strips being a clever, good, non-intrusive, and sensible addition to long straight boring roads on which people do drift, especially in the dark.

Oh, the ones on the side of the road - not what I thought we were talking about at all. I'm abivalent towards those. I do like a stretch of good cats eyes in the road though. I remember being especially pleased as a kid when I first noticed that there were various different coloured ones on motorways.

Not sure if its minor... Coming home from work and being greeted with hugs from my two boys and my still excitable 11 year old Labrador, obviously not hugs off the dog but you get the picture.

* I've used the term hugs as most of you non Welsh people would not understand cwtches, normally I'd never use the term.

Awww, bechod.

The Canary Islands' quirky but ingenious system of signalling pleases me.

For those who haven't experienced it, imagine you are travelling behind three other cars at 30mph and the first car wants to turn left into a side turning (LHD so into opposite side of road).

All three cars in front will put their left indicators on, even though two of them are going straight on. Then, when the lead car has made his turn, the others will simply cancel their indicators and carry on straight ahead. Very bizarre at first but a good way of saying 'don't bother trying to overtake' if you think about it.

Only disadvantage I can see is it might encourage motorbikes to sneak up the inside.

Finding out Riedquat likes some things.

Agreed about watching birds. My granda used to love bird watching and I never got it as a kid but I've started to appreciate it a lot. On Christmas day there was a Robin hopping around outside my flat, singing, and jumping from branch to branch in a tree. I must have watched it for about 20 minutes. I also like watching crows and magpies and some of the bonkers stuff they do. There are some crows that bang on the windows at work. Some people don't like them much though.

I assume you have just acquired a job lot of spud peelers and are knocking them out on eBay ? Either that or I'm worried how the good grip can be causing you bliss ? This is not normal in any context.

I have a solitary Oxo Good Grip potato peeler... It was a fiver and a pleasure to use. End of.

Finding out Riedquat likes some things.

If I didn't like some things the things I don't like wouldn't bother me... The British landscape at its best is something I'm utterly in love with, but didn't mention that because it doesn't count as relatively minor.

Can't beat a good spot squeezing either.