House Price Crash Forum
giesahoose

University Rent Strike - Merged

LOL, a veritable whos who if of debt victims pissing there life away. They cant be that bright, just do the degree somewhere cheaper then let the Uni go bust?

Im sure there degree in " European and Jewish studies" or "art" will place them perfectly to repay all the borrowed money used to live/pay this rent.

Stop social cleansing!! What a laugh, many former working class areas our major city were trashed by student landlords taking over. The former residents would have had their quality of life continually reduced until they have up and moved to another area.

It would be good to see this spreading throughout the country.

In history it is often the students who provide the spark.

A national rent strike. I'd really like to see that.

Absolutely

A spokeswoman at UCL has defended the pay increases, saying that the university’s rents are competitive for the London location. She says: “We are seeking dialogue with the Cut the Rent campaign to discuss the issues and set out how the finances of UCL accommodation work. While we understand the concerns around the cost of accommodation in London, it is inaccurate to suggest that UCL accommodation is making a profit for the university.

Seeing as the rents have gone up by about 56% since 2009 (according to the article) it's difficult to see how they don't make "a profit" if they weren't making a loss in 2009. Maybe the students should get an accountant to look at the figures to see what's going on - if they haven't already done so. Maybe the lack of profit is some accountancy trickery to avoid tax - like the corporates do.

Of course it might be the administration just paying themselves proportionally more so that they can afford some housing in London. Such a huge hike in rents over that period seems crazy and at least on the face of it seems as wicked as the house price policies of the general London market over the same time frame.

Edited by billybong

It's a shame really. What happened to Students as wet-behind-the-ears warriors of idealism ?

Now they've been reduced to a moderate voice of common sense.

Good.

All these comments around the net about "Don't study in London if you can't afford it," mainly from self-righteous, narrow-minded baby boomers that had everything inc. no fees, grants, cheap transport and cheap accommodation.

Jesus wept. I just followed the links to look at the UCL website for the halls of residence prices. How can anybody normal afford to go there?

Just as a comparison, I lived in intercollegiate halls in central London in the late 80s and it was £44 a week all in including food then. When renting privately the most I paid was £25 a week (and then got £4 of that back as rent rebate every week).

Those colleges must be minting it.

Jesus wept. I just followed the links to look at the UCL website for the halls of residence prices. How can anybody normal afford to go there?

Just as a comparison, I lived in intercollegiate halls in central London in the late 80s and it was £44 a week all in including food then. When renting privately the most I paid was £25 a week (and then got £4 of that back as rent rebate every week).

Do you think wages have risen accordingly? I doubt it I earned £2.5 per hour in MacDonalds in 1989 and wages would have to be £11+ per hour at McDonalds for that to be true.

Seeing as the rents have gone up by about 56% since 2009 (according to the article) it's difficult to see how they don't make "a profit" if they weren't making a loss in 2009. Maybe the students should get an accountant to look at the figures to see what's going on - if they haven't already done so. Maybe the lack of profit is some accountancy trickery to avoid tax - like the corporates do.

Of course it might be the administration just paying themselves proportionally more so that they can afford some housing in London. Such a huge hike in rents over that period seems crazy and at least on the face of it seems as wicked as the house price policies of the general London market over the same time frame.

56% inflation since 2009? I need to show this to my employer for next pay review. Edited by Fairyland

Wow! I kind-of knew there had to be a student grapevine somewhere, but even so £twentysomething a week in '80s London is a whole nother workd!

Is the government now going to come up with 'Help to rent scheme' ? Of course, tax payer funded.

Well done to the students for standing up for themselves and NSU for backing them. I hope they stay put and have their rents reduced by 40%. This HPI non sense had to end some time. It is destroying communities.

Edited by Fairyland

Those college CHIEF EXECS and DIRECTORS must be minting it.

Corrected, for accuracy

There is something in this. High house prices affect everyone, even the VCs who are now paid huge sums , most way more than the PM.

Slowly , people are waking up to the fact that soaring house prices aren't the cause of unadulterated joy after all. They make goods and services cost more, the cost of launching your children into the world higher, increase your taxes (to pay increased benefits) and load billions onto the national debt. Are our banks worth this sacrifice?

Even in the mid-late 90s when our two went to uni I was horrified to hear what their friends going to London unis were having to pay for accommodation. It wasn't the reason for their choice but in Nottingham and Newcastle ours were paying about half.

Student accomm seems to have become big business. There was a particularly nasty low rise block of flats near here which was neglected for years and had become a filthy eyesore. When I saw that it had been 'acquired' I assumed that it would be flats again, done up and wildly overpriced. But it's been converted to student accomm and at least tidied up. There are a lot of foreign students in Kingston and presumably many of them are willing to pay more, or at least less willing to live in the usual more or less squalid student house share.

The thing that is instructuve about this is that the students are not really complaining about the high rents, they are only complaining that their borrowed student loans don't cover the rent.

So presumably if the govt just lent them all a few £££s more every year then everything would be peachy

Good luck to them. Just checked my student accommodation and what it costs today compared to the £72 a week I was paying in 2003/2004. It's now £175 a week. Thats £583 a month to live in a single room and share a shower! In Coventry!

My thoughts entirely..my last student digs were £23 a week back in 1992.....