House Price Crash Forum

Antisocial Networking

Steppenpig

HOLA441

I'm not really sure where I'm going with this. It will probably end up as a sort of "deluded scrappers lite" thread.

Anyway, I don't do any of the usual social networking stuff, but I do read and particiapte in a few language learning forums, or where you write stuff in a language and natives correct it.

This occasionally leads to private messages being exchanged. I recently got contacted by an old acquaintance, and I must admit it did create a warm fuzzy feeling and I can sort of understand how people get into that social networking, but I would always need a "hook" myself, such as language learning, else I wouldn't be able to think of anything to talk about.

Anyway, may as well start with a stupid question. Once the "friend" sends you a message signed with her real name, do you just start using that to address her, and sign your messages with your real name, or do you discuss it explicitly? I think it adds to the awkwardness, that we wil probably continue to occasionally exchange messages on the public forum, unsder our user names. I would really just prefer to keep using my user name.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

I'm not really sure where I'm going with this. It will probably end up as a sort of "deluded scrappers lite" thread.

Anyway, I don't do any of the usual social networking stuff, but I do read and particiapte in a few language learning forums, or where you write stuff in a language and natives correct it.

This occasionally leads to private messages being exchanged. I recently got contacted by an old acquaintance, and I must admit it did create a warm fuzzy feeling and I can sort of understand how people get into that social networking, but I would always need a "hook" myself, such as language learning, else I wouldn't be able to think of anything to talk about.

Anyway, may as well start with a stupid question. Once the "friend" sends you a message signed with her real name, do you just start using that to address her, and sign your messages with your real name, or do you discuss it explicitly? I think it adds to the awkwardness, that we wil probably continue to occasionally exchange messages on the public forum, unsder our user names. I would really just prefer to keep using my user name.

Any member of this forum fortunate enough to have warranted a private message from me may have noticed that I always use my real name.

HOLA445
HOLA446

My feeling is that if the conversation has reached the point where you both know who the other is and it's private anyway you may as well use your real name. I'm reticent about doing so in general but that's mostly a counter-reaction to everything trying to get hold of it these days (don't think I've ever mentioned it on here although I doubt that it would be that hard to dig it out if anyone was bothered).

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Archived