House Price Crash Forum
Killer Bunny

Rent Stories - Merged Topics

Mid to East Herts but generally applicable.

If anyone searches for 3+bedroom house to rent in Hatfield you'll be shocked by the sheer number available from this small town. Cheap. Not really. But they will be.

Our own position is we've rented a beautiful home in E Herts for relatively low cost for 3 years. (Annual lease renewed with zero increases.)
Going into 4th year l/l demanded 19% increase. Paying it but looking to move.

Viewing good enough home today which is priced 45% LESS than we're paying and 33% less than we were paying.
Renting can be brilliant.

NB Most relevantly the one we'll view is priced merely 6% more than 10 YEARS AGO!

The mixed signals are that actually rents in E Herts were little changed for several years to last year. Then rose materially. Catch up? L/l confidence? Demand? Hubris? Qui sais?

Rents slightly falling last few months.

The mixed signals are that actually rents in E Herts were little changed for several years to last year. Then rose materially. Catch up? L/l confidence? Demand? Hubris? Qui sais?

Hubris following the GE maybe?

I noticed that in the latest piece of propaganda by the National Association of Estate Agents that house prices are predicted to rise 50% by 2025 but rents only 27% over the same period.

Similar. A friend is renting in Balham. Has no rent increase for last 4 years. LL hinting they might increase in March 16.

Friend went on RM and did quick search for 1 beds nr their place of work - Canary Wharf.

Surprise. There are 100's and 100's of 1 beds on the market. And same price as she currently rents at. Decent, modern 1 bed.

So, worst case scenario if she has to move due to rent increase - she'll be nearer work. Less commute. Improved decor. Cheaper to heat maybe, etc.

LL's are in for a surprise....renters will just decide to move on if the increase isn't to their liking. Quelle surprise !

If you don't really want to move, I would just show your landlord that you can move to a much cheaper property and that unless they reduce the rent you will. Presumably you have been a good tenant. If I was a landlord and I saw rents falling all around and my good tenant threatened to move unless rent reduced I would be pretty nervous and keen to keep said tenant.

Mid to East Herts but generally applicable.

If anyone searches for 3+bedroom house to rent in Hatfield you'll be shocked by the sheer number available from this small town. Cheap. Not really. But they will be.

Our own position is we've rented a beautiful home in E Herts for relatively low cost for 3 years. (Annual lease renewed with zero increases.)

Going into 4th year l/l demanded 19% increase. Paying it but looking to move.

Viewing good enough home today which is priced 45% LESS than we're paying and 33% less than we were paying.

Renting can be brilliant.

NB Most relevantly the one we'll view is priced merely 6% more than 10 YEARS AGO!

Used to go to Uni there.

Hatfield is know by the locals as shatfield. It has featured prominently in lists such as the "top 10 crap towns of the UK"

Chavcentral basically.

70% of the population are uni students, during the summer shatfield is deserted.

The houses there are crap, really crap, as they are marketed to students who are a mixed bag. Even though I was very clean with my uni dwellings, others weren't. Notwithstanding prices where expensive for what was on offer: mould, 50 y.o carpets and 7th hand furniture, all yours for 330 pcm per tenant.

Also at the end of the tenancy the students would loose the deposit regardless of how they got the house or how they left it. The S.A's never inform the tenants about the DPS service.

HOWEVER

With soaring London rents, Hatfield is looking increasingly attractive as a commuter town. At least it makes it bearable.

The hovel I left earlier in the year, we rented cheap for 4 years without a rent increase. We were asked after 3 years but ignored the request and the landlord didnt get back to us.

When we left, it had a makeover but didn't address the major problems with the house. It was put back on for 50% more than we paid. Well it's up for rent again after 6 months and there are asking prices on the same Street at 10% less for better looking properties.

S. Manchester area, high property demand.

Edited by 25 year mortgage 8itch

If you don't really want to move, I would just show your landlord that you can move to a much cheaper property and that unless they reduce the rent you will. Presumably you have been a good tenant. If I was a landlord and I saw rents falling all around and my good tenant threatened to move unless rent reduced I would be pretty nervous and keen to keep said tenant.

We don't want to move but he is intransigent.

Thx for advice in any case

Correction again. It seems - weirdly - the property we WILL view is not on Rightmove BUT the agent - who only has a RM website now - has it listed on their section.

So we are viewing today. It is only 6% higher than 10 years ago and it is c 20% cheaper than comparable properties.

If you search hard and long enough gems do surface.

Edited by Killer Bunny

Correction again. It seems - wierdly - the property we WILL view is not on Rightmove BUT the agent - who only has a RM website now - has it listed on their section.

So we are viewing today. It is only 6% higher than 10 years ago and it is c 20% cheaper than comparable properties.

If you search hard and long enough gems do surface.

Good luck. Nice (potential) Christmas present.

We don't want to move but he is intransigent.

Thx for advice in any case

I'm no doubt teaching you to suck eggs - but for the benefit of lurkers - a landlord isn't really intransigent until they've served you a S21. Even then, there is still room for negotiation.

When faced with an intransigent landlord, I always ask for them to write me a reference. Firstly, it lets them know I'm serious about moving. Secondly, it makes them confront the fact that they are letting a good tenant go. It also puts them in a bind, unless they cooperate, you can't easily leave, and they face the prospect of kicking you out the hard way. Ending a tenancy is just as much a negotiation as starting a tenancy.

I did not know only 10 pages of threads are retained. So a relatively recent thread I started on rents is gone.

Anyway, after 3 yrs of flat rent (vg value) owner got greedy and hiked 19%. So we stayed further 6 months and we're off to new home in 4 weeks.

3 year lease.

14% cheaper than WE WERE paying before the hike.

Beautiful home.

God. Renting is just awful!

I did not know only 10 pages of threads are retained. So a relatively recent thread I started on rents is gone.

Anyway, after 3 yrs of flat rent (vg value) owner got greedy and hiked 19%. So we stayed further 6 months and we're off to new home in 4 weeks.

3 year lease.

Beautiful home.

Ur doing it wrong. Change your settings, noob.

Mines not gone up in 4 years ( 575pcm) but rest of street is now up to 200 (775pcm) a month more than I pay , been lucky my landlord isn't greedy really.

This was a great improvement. Before this, it was a regular occurrence for trolls, estate agents etc to dredge up old posts containing predictions of price falls and quote them totally out of context to try to discredit people. They were invariably exposed, but it got tiresome.

You can always find the topics you've started in the last year or so via your own profile, just click on "Find my content" and select "Only topics" - you started this thread on rents in December 2015, was that the one you were thinking of?

Oh right. Thx. Didn't know that.

Current l/l is greedy b.....d and we hear up the creek in debt and various properties and businesses. Yet he acts like an amateur.

F him.

3 year lease.

Beautiful home.

It seems to me that now is the one of the best times of year to move. We moved just over a year ago and now live in a really great value house that we're really happy in.

Where (roughly) did you move to? Did you bargain with the landlord?

Emailed agent b4 viewing. Would owner consider...6/7ths of asking price?

It might be considered.

Ok we'd like to view pls.

Offered and accepted.

Emailed agent b4 viewing. Would owner consider...6/7ths of asking price?

It might be considered.

Ok we'd like to view pls.

Offered and accepted.

When we moved, I asked for 10% off of an asking rent that was already below the range we were looking for, and they accepted it without batting an eye. Property had been available for more than 6 weeks and they'd already reduced the asking price.