House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave Beans

Fibre Providers

I'm thinking of upgrading my woeful broadband to Fibre... Perhaps moving from Sky to BT (I want to get a deal on BT Sport too)... Any other recommendations?

I've found that Talk Talk are an utter shambles...

What kind of speed is your woeful broadband, and what kind of speed do BT predict fibre would provide you with?

I switched from BE broadband to Sky fibre, and then over to to EE fibre. Both Sky & EE fibre products are excellent in my experience.

In terms of speed and reliability, I cannot pick fault with either. Speedtest.net usually shows a consistent 75/18, although my flat is pretty close to the street cabinet.

If you're looking at BT, maybe try their PlusNet subsidiary. You might get a better deal and possibly BT Sport too. And it won't be long before EE become a division of BT.

The BT infinity (fibre to the cabinet) service is OK. Their technical support are shockingly bad, really clueless and obstructive. The BT "home hub 5" is also not particularly good - the wifi is particularly unstable and unreliable. I ended up needing to get a different router, as the HH5 was hopeless.

They also may require an engineer to install the broadband at your house. This is often subcontracted, and the quality of subcontractor can be dire. (For example, at my current flat, all the utilities (water, electricity, phone, etc.) come into a communal utility room, and the master socket for each phone line is in its own cage in the utility room, with the wiring then going to each individual flat). The subcontractor took one look at that, and said "no way", and left. I did eventually manage to get a proper BT installer come out, who just installed a new master socket in the living room, and put a sticker on the socket in the utility room saying "do not use".

I don't know about install with broadband providers that resell the BT service (pretty much everyone except virgin media), but as it is the same service, I'd expect that you'd still need an installer come out for it.

I used to get broadband from BE, before they were bought by sky. Their technical support was amazing. Really helpful, even when the problem was a complex one of your own making.

What kind of speed is your woeful broadband, and what kind of speed do BT predict fibre would provide you with?

I switched from BE broadband to Sky fibre, and then over to to EE fibre. Both Sky & EE fibre products are excellent in my experience.

In terms of speed and reliability, I cannot pick fault with either. Speedtest.net usually shows a consistent 75/18, although my flat is pretty close to the street cabinet.

If you're looking at BT, maybe try their PlusNet subsidiary. You might get a better deal and possibly BT Sport too. And it won't be long before EE become a division of BT.

Around 2.5Mbps but can drop as low as 1Mbps... I'm looking at 38Mb, which is plenty to stream 1080p or 4k. I will need to check with BT to see if I actually get that..I shouldn't be far off that...

No complaints here with Virgin Cable.

You've been lucky. Virgin is fine when it works, but a nightmare when it goes down (and doesn't get fixed for several weeks).

Yes I'm in a cabled area, so I subscribe to Virgin. I can shop really fast.Not sure any speed increases would be of any benefit to me. I hardly watch streamed video. I just buy the disc.

Talk Talk are fine IME and also in the experience of a friend on whose recommendation I got them.

They have sorted out their one huge problem: adult filter was on by default and you couldn't take it off (well it looked you could, but this had no effect). As well as the obvious I couldn't even read homebrew forums (alcohol) or read football odds (gambling).

Talk Talk are fine IME and also in the experience of a friend on whose recommendation I got them.

They have sorted out their one huge problem: adult filter was on by default and you couldn't take it off (well it looked you could, but this had no effect). As well as the obvious I couldn't even read homebrew forums (alcohol) or read football odds (gambling).

It's nice of Talk Talk so supply your moral optic fibre. That's most of the internet gone then.

It's nice of Talk Talk so supply your moral optic fibre. That's most of the internet gone then.

It was annoying indeed; click on an innocuous link and the "TalkTalk knows best" screen would pop up.

Then one day I found it had been fixed; but they didn't announce this as it would have required admitting that it was broken in the first place. And it would have earned them stacks on the premium rate helplines as people tried pointlessly to get it removed.

Another one for Plusnet, I've had a few problems with the fibre speed dropping and their customer service/tech support was excellent in sorting it out. I think they offer Plusnet T.V for free as part of the package.

Virgin are utterly hopeless. My old boss and I (In two separate experiences) both went without out internet for over 2 months because of them.

He got his; I had to wait 3 months for a geezer in a van to come and say "Can't be done" (Block paving out the front)

Yes I'm in a cabled area, so I subscribe to Virgin. I can shop really fast.Not sure any speed increases would be of any benefit to me. I hardly watch streamed video. I just buy the disc.

You've made a good point here, I think we are getting very much diminished returns from all the extra speed on offer.

I'm with Seethelight which is a small provider that installs fibre into new houses as they are built, so for most people they aren't an option. For what it's worth though they have been very good, if you can get them you should. I initially went for the 100mb connection, last year I reduced that to 50mb (which they throttle to 25mb in the evenings) and the result? I barely notice.On the occasions that I download a large file if it takes 40 mins, 20 mins or 10 mins is of little consequence.

Why anyone would pay for the 300mb option is beyond me.

Around 2.5Mbps but can drop as low as 1Mbps... I'm looking at 38Mb, which is plenty to stream 1080p or 4k. I will need to check with BT to see if I actually get that..I shouldn't be far off that...

We are with the Post Office who use Tiscali and the speed was crap so did some searching and found an easy way to get the speed up,we went from an 2.5-3Mps to 5Mps instantly,ok not earth shattering but you will notice the difference,disconnect at the master box and them exstensions are done at the same time and does not affect the phone,heres a link but try searching BB speed cut bell wire.

http://broadband-speedup.blogspot.co.uk/

You've been lucky. Virgin is fine when it works, but a nightmare when it goes down (and doesn't get fixed for several weeks).

Or maybe you've been unlucky?

I've been on cable for almost 20 years and it's barely missed a beat in all that time.

Plus points for Virgin are fast uploads (important to me as I work online) and minimal limits/ throttling/ nannying at the times when I am working.

The huge download bandwidth also makes sharing with the family Netflix and devices etc tolerable.

That said, I've had installation niggles and outages with every provider I've ever used - Virgin included (I had to send back 2 routers as faulty). That's par for the course. Those who can't troubleshoot these problems themselves and have to rely solely on customer services will likely have a different experience to mine.

You've made a good point here, I think we are getting very much diminished returns from all the extra speed on offer.

I'm with Seethelight which is a small provider that installs fibre into new houses as they are built, so for most people they aren't an option. For what it's worth though they have been very good, if you can get them you should. I initially went for the 100mb connection, last year I reduced that to 50mb (which they throttle to 25mb in the evenings) and the result? I barely notice.On the occasions that I download a large file if it takes 40 mins, 20 mins or 10 mins is of little consequence.

Why anyone would pay for the 300mb option is beyond me.

I've often pondered similar. Back in the day when I used to use the library the entire library had a 20mb connection. When I started at my current place of work they had a 100mb connection for a site of 400 people. We encountered very few issues.

I guess you might need 300mb if you have a house full of teenagers and you all want to stream a film at the same time.

We use BT who have been fine, until it went wrong, and now we have had 3 months of outages and poor speed. We're paying for 40 Mbit, have got that in the past, and now are getting 5. About 6 engineer visits, none of them can fix it. Next Virgin ad that comes through the door will probably be taken up...

Plus points for Virgin are fast uploads (important to me as I work online) and minimal limits/ throttling/ nannying at the times when I am working.

Huh? Virgin uploads are slow, compared to anything more modern than ADSL.

See for example this test comparing them to 4G mobile broadband (download speeds are ample; big differences in upload).

We use BT who have been fine, until it went wrong, and now we have had 3 months of outages and poor speed. We're paying for 40 Mbit, have got that in the past, and now are getting 5. About 6 engineer visits, none of them can fix it. Next Virgin ad that comes through the door will probably be taken up...

What, you'd let yourself in for this?