House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MrPin

Why Do Cds Live In Fragile Cases

I've just bought a pack of new cases to rehouse my CDs.

Aren't yours in fluffy clouds?

Crikey no. All here, and not on the internet. :blink:

Have you gone back to cassettes?

I actually have cassettes. Some were ripped 30 years ago. I still have the ability to play vinyl.

I find it difficult to remember things from that long ago (1980, 1981?), but IIRC it was that CDs are basically indestructible, and don't actually need a case at all - but for some strange reason they are very sensitive to strawberry jam. I recall seeing this demonstrated on Tomorrow's World - spreading conserves, and particularly strawberry jam, onto the disc would pretty much destroy the music content, making everything sound like the Bee Gees. Thus the only reason for the case was to protect the disc from jam, and hence the reason why the cases didn't need to be particularly robust.

At least I think that was the story.

I find it difficult to remember things from that long ago (1980, 1981?), but IIRC it was that CDs are basically indestructible, and don't actually need a case at all - but for some strange reason they are very sensitive to strawberry jam. I recall seeing this demonstrated on Tomorrow's World - spreading conserves, and particularly strawberry jam, onto the disc would pretty much destroy the music content, making everything sound like the Bee Gees. Thus the only reason for the case was to protect the disc from jam, and hence the reason why the cases didn't need to be particularly robust.

At least I think that was the story.

The most toxic substance to recorded music is actually Paul Weller.

The most toxic substance to recorded music is actually Paul Weller.

I remember the Tomorrows World episode Dgul mentions. They also spread poo on a cd and played it. Out of the speakers came Paul Weller....

I remember the Tomorrows World episode Dgul mentions. They also spread poo on a cd and played it. Out of the speakers came Paul Weller....

An unpleasant thought! :huh: I thought the poo might be appropriate!

Standard CD 'jewel' cases are about the worst mechanical design of any consumer product of any time in history. Just imagine how many billions have broken and needed replacing.

And apparently they are called jewel cases because the designers thought it was a gem of a design. Seriously.

Standard CD 'jewel' cases are about the worst mechanical design of any consumer product of any time in history. Just imagine how many billions have broken and needed replacing.

And apparently they are called jewel cases because the designers thought it was a gem of a design. Seriously.

They are a technical turd! And DVDs come in tougher boxes, despite the disk being exactly the same size!

The back media tray snaps into the back cover, and is responsible for securing the disk. The center is a circular hub of teeth which grip the disc by its hole.

This effectively suspends the disk in the middle of the container, preventing the recording surface from being scratched.[1]

initial attempts at packaging CDs were unsatisfactory. When the new design, by Peter Doodson, was found to be "virtually perfect" it was dubbed the "jewel case".[1]

The media tray was originally constructed of a flexible black polystyrene, but many newer trays use a more fragile transparent polystyrene.

This allows the reverse of the back card, which is usually used for additional artwork, to be visible.

This format did not become common until the mid-1990s.

The intended successor to the original jewel case, which were gaining ground, is the "Super Jewel Box", a more advanced design which offers (amongst other improvements) a greatly strengthened hinge area. Unfortunately, the super jewel box cannot be used as a direct replacement for the older jewel case design as its card insert for the back is slightly different in size. However, in many other ways it is an attractive concept and some CD manufacturers (for example the high-end company Linn) are supplying them. The depth of the disc tray is also greater, allowing for two discs to be placed on top of each other. The super jewel box was developed by Philips[1] and other CD-format developers, originally in a larger format as a DVD case, and then in smaller formats as CD cases.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_disc_packaging

I possess about 30 CDs and of those perhaps 6 have broken cases.

I remember some of them breaking as soon as they were first opened, the corner where the hinge is simply shears off.

They're so flimsy and prone to breaking that I'd nominate them for one of the worst designed consumer products ever.

DVD cases are more flexible, but the USA made ones are pretty flimsy. I haven't had a broken blu-ray case yet. I can see I'm not alone in having a CD case break first time it was opened.

Mine are in fluffy clouds - except the 78s I inherited from my father.

Please don't say you are listening to mp3 files, otherwise I'll have to set DTmark onto you!

Please don't say you are listening to mp3 files, otherwise I'll have to set DTmark onto you!

I dumped all my CDs on to iTunes...(hurriedly pulls on tfh and takes cover)...

Edit to say the OH got the vinyl when we split.

I dumped all my CDs on to iTunes...(hurriedly pulls on tfh and takes cover)...

Edit to say the OH got the vinyl when we split.

I keep reading it as "Cats in fragile cages"