House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iLegallyBlonde

North West - Altrincham/lymm Bramhall Bowden Alderly Edge Etc

Just wondered if the footballers and their wives were feeling the pinch yet :P

We looked at these areas in 2004 and a semi was going for £500k

Try Rightmove.

Plenty of detached places in Bramhall for 300-400k. And those are asking prices, so look to chop at least 7% off (I'd be pitching at least 15% off, as most of them look like they've been sat there since the summer.)

Still, I'd wait a year of two for the crash to force the prices even lower.

Nomadd

Its very, very stagnant here in Alty.

Some houses on the market for over 18 months and reductions are only starting to come through now.

Very large variation in what you can get for a set price.

Some agents have 3 bed terraces at 250k-ish others have larger semi's at the same price.

Large 3/4 bed detached houses are coming down from 350-400k to the 275-325k.

There is no set pattern, its still a bit confused, but I see a very stagnant market.

That said, realistically priced houses are selling surprisingly quickly.

(*realistically priced in relation to similar houses, not in historical terms)

Its very, very stagnant here in Alty.

Some houses on the market for over 18 months and reductions are only starting to come through now.

Very large variation in what you can get for a set price.

Some agents have 3 bed terraces at 250k-ish others have larger semi's at the same price.

Large 3/4 bed detached houses are coming down from 350-400k to the 275-325k.

There is no set pattern, its still a bit confused, but I see a very stagnant market.

That said, realistically priced houses are selling surprisingly quickly.

(*realistically priced in relation to similar houses, not in historical terms)

Can only agree with Needle - stagnation - a bit of confusion with variable asking prices for similar property, some reductions starting to show and only those that are reasonably priced (for todays market) are selling.

One thing I have noticed is that it is the so called 'better areas' that are being a little more sensible with asking prices. In the less popular areas prices are still very silly and vendors do not seem to have cottoned on that they can no longer pull a figure out of thin air and expect people to pay it.

If you are new to the area don't think that the higher the price the better the house/area - this isn't the case at the moment.

Also remember (I think you have kids?) that Altrincham is in Trafford and still operates an 11+ system (yes we still have selection by ability at 11 years!!!!!). So house prices are dictated by the 11+ pass rate of the local junior school (although even this is a bit uneven at the moment). Secondary moderns are very variable in quality so check out local schools before putting in an offer on any house in Trafford. Do not be fooled by schools that call themselves 'High Schools' or 'Colleges' - they are secondary moderns

Chesire do not have the 11+ but operate a comprehensive system.

all the above and they are still building 2bed luxury rabbit hutches.

Thornley Groves signs everywhere are pissing me right off.

YEP...and 610-50 new homes being built at Stamford Brook...most have not been built yet.

This development will be an interesting indicator for the local area...although they may draw many people away from other older houses leaving some nicely priced victorian terraces for those that don't want to spend £2-300k on a rabbit hutch.