House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cashinmattress

3 Seconds

Not a huge motor sports fan, especially the actual racing.

But this precision and teamwork is amazing. I count 3 seconds.

The logistics and engineering are also equally impressive.

And what happens to one when they get an 'all thumbs' moment?

Still, I'm ex-forces and am more impressed with this canuck madness.

The jeep thing was slightly less boring than that pulling of the cannon over an obstacle course by the RN.

And I didn't believe it anyway.

Guest eight

The jeep thing was slightly less boring than that pulling of the cannon over an obstacle course by the RN.

I used to work with a guy that had to be invalided out after the gun barrel got dropped on his feet. He was still limping forty years later!

I used to work with a guy that had to be invalided out after the gun barrel got dropped on his feet. He was still limping forty years later!

I think I saw that live on TV back in the days when the BBC used to torture people with it on wet August bank holidays. It is considered a highlight of the Edinburgh Military Tattoo - a thoroughly depressing bore-fest IMPO.

Edit:

They used to do male gymnasts do synchronous climbing of ropes also. Yawn. Think that was the RN also.

I think I saw that live on TV back in the days when the BBC used to torture people with it on wet August bank holidays. It is considered a highlight of the Edinburgh Military Tattoo - a thoroughly depressing bore-fest IMPO.

Edit:

They used to do male gymnasts do synchronous climbing of ropes also. Yawn. Think that was the RN also.

I thought it was exciting and demonstrated extraordinary skill and teamwork.

I thought it was exciting and demonstrated extraordinary skill and teamwork.

Ditto. When you think how much the whole thing weighs I always found it rather impressive, much more so than all the people dressed up the same walking around in circles with a brass band parts.

Guest eight

Ditto. When you think how much the whole thing weighs I always found it rather impressive, much more so than all the people dressed up the same walking around in circles with a brass band parts.

According to the guy who smashed his feet, lost finger bits were seen as routine.

Guest eight

Back in the days when I watched F1 I'm sure 7 or 8 seconds was a damned goot pitstop. What's changed to make them so much faster?

No refuelling. Captive wheel nuts. Greater degree of "professionalism". In the really good ones the car doesn't even seem to stop.

Of course, when it goes wrong.... about 4m40 in this video you get a good sense of the frustration felt by the driver. Which partly contributes to his massive accident at around the 8m40 mark....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-dm6LOhOpk

No refuelling. Captive wheel nuts. Greater degree of "professionalism". In the really good ones the car doesn't even seem to stop.

Refuelling had come in but not gone when I stopped watching, so I can't recall if the wheel changing had sped by then. There was enough money involved at the time that I'd be very surprised if the pit crews of even the smaller teams weren't as professional as they could be.

Back in the days when I watched F1 I'm sure 7 or 8 seconds was a damned goot pitstop. What's changed to make them so much faster?

no fuel

When I was a kid, probably on the Saturday Beeb, they used to have a muddy track with all sorts of vehicles, including army, trying to complete the course, and there was hill climbing too...cant remember what they called the mud course though, but I found it entertaining.

There's a sport with Landrovers that sounds fun to have a go at. Owners drive their landy as deep into the mud/marsh as they can. Their opposition winches it out. Then they swap roles. Fastest time goes through to the next heat.