House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ash4781

Planet 9 Theory

DeathStar.png.625x385_q100.png

"No one would have believed in the last years of the nineteenth century that this world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man's.."

B)

DeathStar.png.625x385_q100.png

"No one would have believed in the last years of the nineteenth century that this world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man's.."

That wouldn't be difficult!

B)

I think this is a bloody disgrace. We already have a 9th planet. - Pluto.

Poor little Pluto has been humiliated in recent years, I suspect as the result of a conspiracy by the gas giants, who are celestial bullies.

Earth has been disgracefully silent on the matter.

Reinstate Pluto NOW!.

When people are being informed by 'expert' scientists about global warming , or how the Universe began or the big bang theory - or other similar items.

They really should remember things like this.

When people are being informed by 'expert' scientists about global warming , or how the Universe began or the big bang theory - or other similar items.

:blink:

They were talking about it on star gazing live weren't they?

When I see that in the TV guides, I always read it as "Shoegazing Live", imagining Brian Cox staring at his shoes for an hour.

Huh?

Just saying we are meant to believe things told to us by 'experts' as gospel. So when things appear that are 'unexpected' it just tells us to be cautious with 'experts' facts.

Whether this is an example or not - was just making a general point.

Nope, don't really see that at all.

Current scientific knowledge is assumed to have a much higher verisimilitude than is justified in a great many areas. I'd say the discovery of an additional "gas giant" planet in our solar system, is a pretty good illustration of this.

Current scientific knowledge is assumed to have a much higher verisimilitude than is justified in a great many areas. I'd say the discovery of an additional "gas giant" planet in our solar system, is a pretty good illustration of this.

I think that all too often it's the public (and perhaps more importantly journalists) who misrepresent and misunderstand the probabilities given and their implications, if they even mention them at all. Your average Joe Public seems to struggle with anything that isn't black and white, so "there's some evidence that there could be..." gets translated into "there is!" and then they start gloating if the thing turns out not to exist.

Current scientific knowledge is just that, the current opinion, so at any point science can change, along as the new theory is consistent with what has gone before

Although if this planet 9 is the return of Nibiru, I welcome our intergalactic overlords :-)

Current scientific knowledge is just that, the current opinion, so at any point science can change, along as the new theory is consistent with what has gone before

It can change but it is not just current opinion and calling it so somewhat ties into my points about black and white.

Said it better than I did.

I don't recall, nor would I expect, mainstream astronomers ever to categorically deny the existence of hitherto unknown planets.

The new planet is inferred from orbital anomalies that can only be detected with the increasingly precise instrumentation that is used in modern astronomy.

When anomalies are noticed, the theories are refined.

Science isn't about having all the answers, it is the search for answers.