House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fully Detached

Any Air Rifle Night Hunters Here?

I've got a fox be worryin' me chickens. Well, it killed one of them actually, and now I need to teach it a lesson and stop it from doing it again.

Before anybody gets upset, no I'd never shoot the fox with an air rifle. Quite apart from the fact that it's nowhere near powerful enough, I'm also not into killing things unless I absolutely have to. And besides, in my opinion, there's no point killing one fox for worryin' me chickens, only to have another one move in on the old one's manor and take up chicken worryin' itself. Far better to scare the living shit out of the existing one and make sure he realises that there's more to life than worryin' me chickens. Like living, for example.

So the initial plan was to buy one of those trip wire jobbies which attach to a 12g blank shotgun cartridge. But Mrs Detached vetoed that on the basis that there are lots of cats around, and she wasn't entirely convinced on the health and safety aspects of me, trip wires, and explosives all working in combination. But I also happen to have some exploding air rifle targets, which pack about the same punch as a 12g blank cartridge. One of them is now installed at the bottom of the garden, while I sit in wait in the bathroom window, ready to shoot the target when Reynard makes his appearance.

Problem is, he's a tricksy l'il ******er. You'd almost think they were known for it. He's avoided any day time appearances so far (despite multiple broad daylight willy-waving escapades when I didn't have the gun ready), and so I'm going to have to take up a night time sniper vigil in order to catch him going about his business.

Which means I need to be able to see what I'm doing. I have an IR scope which is ok until near dark, but I can't see a damn thing after that. Are those cheapo ebay jobbies any good? I don't really want to spend more than 30 quid or so because I don't exactly need to become Bravo Two Zero, but something that helped me see the damn target would be great. Infra red would be ideal, but I'd imagine at worst case, there must be a push button torch that would I could tape to the stock of the gun, and illuminate the target for just long enough to have a pop at it.

Any suggestions much appreciated. My chickens will be very grateful too.

You can get security cameras with IR illumination from Maplin. Maybe a spotlight triggered by passive IR might confound the bounder?

Are foxes photophobic, Mr Pin??

I don't know. Those automatic parking space lights confound me.

You can get security cameras with IR illumination from Maplin. Maybe a spotlight triggered by passive IR might confound the bounder?

Knowing how cocky this one is, he'd probably moon at the camera, flip me the bird, then take a shit in my flower beds, leaving me to review the footage the next morning ;)

nothing much more fun than air rifle and night scope.

just treat it like archery, it is a fun sport.

yes, potentially dangerous in the wrong hands, but so is a car.

a decent 50m range and an hour every sunday is all it takes for some decent family bonding with your offspring.

not as easy as it looks with an air rifle, because unless fully charged the range is generally quite pants and drops a lot, no matter how good your sights are.

anyway, with respect to sunday rituals....church seems not to be the done thing any more, B and Q is.(it is still the law, by the way, in this country ,that you should spend 1 hour on sunday training with your children with a bow and arrow.....air rifle seems just as good)

you can improvise and mix things up a bit to keep it entertaining.

if they don't like potentially killing things, they generally do like potentially eating them....cue roadkill cookery classes and selfie barbecues

roast wood pigeon and squirrel actually aren't that bad!!

that's thanks to the cat though. he got a bit feisty and fancied a snack, and brought me some back too..

you can do MacGyver,bear grylls and all that stuff(yes even scrapheap challenge building magnifying glass solar ovens from beat up hammerite-painted car bonnets and Perspex. rolled into one...brilliant

How about just remembering to shut the chickens in at night?

We do. They're also behind an electric fence. But the fox is a crafty ******* and will come around in the daytime, (unless I happen to be sitting in the bath waving an air rifle out of the window) and wind them up until one of them gets scared enough to fly over the fence in an attempt to escape.

It can probably smell you. You'll have to cover yourself in dung.

I quite often do that.

Maybe you could have a chat with it!

Think a PIR and ultrasonic / triggered noise might be most effective. PIR dirt cheap on eBay, just need something that requires 12v to power/trigger it

If you are just going for a fixed target in the dark, clamp the rifle in the correct position by sighting during daylight. No need for fancy scopes, just pull the trigger.

Maybe you could have a chat with it!

Think a PIR and ultrasonic / triggered noise might be most effective. PIR dirt cheap on eBay, just need something that requires 12v to power/trigger it

Yep, I looked at those but all the reviews said they worked for a few days and then were completely useless. I guess its just an unfamiliar sound to the fox, and when they get used to them they aren't bothered by it.

We do. They're also behind an electric fence. But the fox is a crafty ******* and will come around in the daytime, (unless I happen to be sitting in the bath waving an air rifle out of the window) and wind them up until one of them gets scared enough to fly over the fence in an attempt to escape.

Sounds like the chicken that escapes is a Darwin Award candidate - leaving the safety of the enclosure due to fear of the fox on the other side of the fence.

Have you thought about letting a dog roam around your small holding to chase off the fox?

Sounds like the chicken that escapes is a Darwin Award candidate - leaving the safety of the enclosure due to fear of the fox on the other side of the fence.

Have you thought about letting a dog roam around your small holding to chase off the fox?

All chickens are Darwin Award candidates. I've never seen one on University Challenge.

My son had his air rifle confiscated by plod. We were shooting down our 200ft garden at low targets. Someone thought it was dangerous. My son was then a gunner in the Royal artillery. I was taught to shoot in the Royal Navy.

I guess it's relative - they don't all fly over

Quite true, but in all honesty I don't think she was the most stupid. Just the most scared.

My son had his air rifle confiscated by plod. We were shooting down our 200ft garden at low targets. Someone thought it was dangerous. My son was then a gunner in the Royal artillery. I was taught to shoot in the Royal Navy.

Yep, sounds about right. I got a police caution when I was 15 for "dangerous use of a shotgun", because a woman who didn't like guns or kids decided to report me for the sake of it. The rozzer told me he knew she was full of it but giving me a caution would shut her up. Oh, right. Cheers then.