House Price Crash Forum

Clearly Sexist Adverts/scenes On Tv

ccc

HOLA441

It's the news but same theme - appears according to the BBC violent domestic abusers can only be men - thanks for letting us know !!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35591041

we do need these schemes though.

wait..its another puff piece about a "new" scheme..... Government love new schemes, they can ditch the failed ones leaving the staff in peace, and announce new budgets, new directorships and new favour.

"Although there are already a number of schemes for perpetrators of domestic violence, the Drive project is intended to be different."

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

wait..its another puff piece about a "new" scheme..... Government love new schemes, they can ditch the failed ones leaving the staff in peace, and announce new budgets, new directorships and new favour.

"Although there are already a number of schemes for perpetrators of domestic violence, the Drive project is intended to be different."

Glad it's got a nice snazzy title though. That probably cost a few hundred K to come up with.

HOLA443

It's not just the government, it's local people who have genuinely concerns but instead of joining an existing local scheme want their own new one so that they're in charge. It is wasteful.

The domestic violence stats published at the end of last year showed that for Cornwall (or may have been Devon and Cornwall) there have been five domestic violence deaths in the last five years and four of them were men. Law of small numbers and all that but the local media sufficiently woke up to the fact that men can be victims too by doing several pieces on this.

The one big and AFAIK still unresolved issue was that all the domestic abuse helplines were staffed by woman. And as a male victim said he was phoning up for help (as well a sympathy) having suffered long abuse from a woman; the last thing he wanted to do is explain it to another woman however sympathetic they may be. So I was expecting a cmapiagn for a dedicated male domestic abuse service by the local media; no, they just moved on to the next story,

HOLA444

It's not just the government, it's local people who have genuinely concerns but instead of joining an existing local scheme want their own new one so that they're in charge. It is wasteful.

The domestic violence stats published at the end of last year showed that for Cornwall (or may have been Devon and Cornwall) there have been five domestic violence deaths in the last five years and four of them were men. Law of small numbers and all that but the local media sufficiently woke up to the fact that men can be victims too by doing several pieces on this.

The one big and AFAIK still unresolved issue was that all the domestic abuse helplines were staffed by woman. And as a male victim said he was phoning up for help (as well a sympathy) having suffered long abuse from a woman; the last thing he wanted to do is explain it to another woman however sympathetic they may be. So I was expecting a cmapiagn for a dedicated male domestic abuse service by the local media; no, they just moved on to the next story,

In my short time at the NHS, I was severely and unexpectedly affected by the death of a patient. lucky it happened near break time and I cried in the canteen. I havent cried since my mum died in 1991.

Came back, met the husband, who made light of it with a small joke about who was going to nag him now, and I was off again.

Saw the Ward Sister for a chat.

Told to "man up for crisesakes"

Yes, men in 2016 are still told to man up...by women

HOLA445

In my short time at the NHS, I was severely and unexpectedly affected by the death of a patient. lucky it happened near break time and I cried in the canteen. I havent cried since my mum died in 1991.

Came back, met the husband, who made light of it with a small joke about who was going to nag him now, and I was off again.

Saw the Ward Sister for a chat.

Told to "man up for crisesakes"

Yes, men in 2016 are still told to man up...by women

She would probably have said similar to a woman but a male ward sister would not have said this to a woman (not "man up" of course but something like "pull yourself together").

HOLA446

There are apparently 5 sexist 'incidents' an hour on British TV and 72% of them are directed at women: http://metro.co.uk/2016/01/20/british-tv-shows-five-sexist-incidents-an-hour-during-prime-time-study-finds-5633726/

Oh the humanity!

Might have mentioned this before on here, not sure if I did. But when there was that thing about no black actor nominations at the Oscars somebody said the real issue was still an under representation of women in the media. So I did an experiment and looked at the schedule for the whole day on BBC1.

From memory it went something like this...

BBC Breakfast - Male/Female co-presenting team, but with Female weather, Female Business and Female news anchor

Scam Program - Three all women presenting team, including Angela Rippon and Julia Somerville (also going against the nothing older women don't get a chance)

Homes Under the Hammer - Male/Female co-presenting team

Antiques Program - Male/Female co-presenting team

News - Could go either way

Fern Britton Interview - Fern interviewing another women

James Marting - Oooohh a first all male program..... no hold on, with Special Guest Leslie Walters

Bargain Hunt - Male presenter, two teams of all women.

Doctors - 50/50

Pointless - First all male presenting team of the day, we have already had 2 all women

News - As above

Local News - Not sure about elsewhere but it's been a female anchor in London for as long as I can remember

The One Show - Male/Female co-presenting team

East Enders - 50/50

Silent Witness - Female lead

HOLA447

Might have mentioned this before on here, not sure if I did. But when there was that thing about no black actor nominations at the Oscars somebody said the real issue was still an under representation of women in the media. So I did an experiment and looked at the schedule for the whole day on BBC1.

From memory it went something like this...

BBC Breakfast - Male/Female co-presenting team, but with Female weather, Female Business and Female news anchor

Scam Program - Three all women presenting team, including Angela Rippon and Julia Somerville (also going against the nothing older women don't get a chance)

Homes Under the Hammer - Male/Female co-presenting team

Antiques Program - Male/Female co-presenting team

News - Could go either way

Fern Britton Interview - Fern interviewing another women

James Marting - Oooohh a first all male program..... no hold on, with Special Guest Leslie Walters

Bargain Hunt - Male presenter, two teams of all women.

Doctors - 50/50

Pointless - First all male presenting team of the day, we have already had 2 all women

News - As above

Local News - Not sure about elsewhere but it's been a female anchor in London for as long as I can remember

The One Show - Male/Female co-presenting team

East Enders - 50/50

Silent Witness - Female lead

Until its 100% women thats not acceptable. A few gay blokes are fine as well of course.

• 4 weeks later...
HOLA448

On Absolute radio this weekend -

Her: We need some space.

Him: Please don't leave me <snip long pathetic begging spiel>

Her: No, we need more cupboard space, so I sold your golf clubs on ebay.

Him: Oh thank god, please, please never leave me.

That would slot nicely into the recent criminal domestic abuse public service broadcasts if you reversed the genders.

HOLA449

Cup a soup have a new one. Got that Joey Essex bloke in it. Standing with his shirt open. The usual voiceover - 'ooh hot, creamy etc.'.

Then the final bit says 'And thick too!!'

He looks up a bit puzzled. Now this isn't quite as bad as the yoghurt one - as this bloke does sell himself on his stupidity. If they also do one with Katie Price then fair dos. I doubt they do though.

HOLA4410

On a slight tangent, has anyone else noticed the new PC ad for Admiral insurance? Now suddenly has a woman dressed in the historic uniform of an admiral. Struck me as an utterly crass case of bending over backwards.

On similar PC note, I took my baby granddaughter to rhyme time at her local library last week. Some of the songs were new to me, but when they started Miss Polly Had A Dolly I though, oh, good, I know this, from singing it with my own way back.

Well, I thought I did, but it had been PC'd.

There were only a few other parents there, so it was probably obvious when I sang lustily, 'The doctor came with his bag and his hat...'

Everybody else sang HER.

However I was not chucked out and told never to darken their doors again.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

http://nwioqeqkdf.blogspot.co.uk/2016/02/halifax-mark-watts.html

Once you recognise this stuff, noticing it in all cases becomes unavoidable. It pretty much ruins most TV and films once you become aware of it.

everything is sexist, everything is racist, and you have to point it all out...specially if you think other people think you are the racist.

HOLA4414

http://nwioqeqkdf.blogspot.co.uk/2016/02/halifax-mark-watts.html

Once you recognise this stuff, noticing it in all cases becomes unavoidable. It pretty much ruins most TV and films once you become aware of it.

I've had some of the same thoughts regarding the adverts on TV that are displayed on that site, but I haven't voiced them for fear of being branded a nutter.

Can't argue with most of their analysis however. But if I dared say it out loud I'd be branded a Nazi.

HOLA4415

Check this one out for Rightmove:

http://nwioqeqkdf.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/rightmove-find-your-happy.html

Check out the body language of the old guy, legs pressed together, head sunken, looking like a confused impotent old man. Contrast with black fellow who has legs spread wide open, and is the only cool, calm collected person in the advert. Young white guy is a bumbling hipster laughing stock.

I feel guilty for even 'seeing' what the people on that site see. But I can't really deny it.

HOLA4416

I've had some of the same thoughts regarding the adverts on TV that are displayed on that site, but I haven't voiced them for fear of being branded a nutter.

Can't argue with most of their analysis however. But if I dared say it out loud I'd be branded a Nazi.

It is exactly that.

To give them the benefit of the doubt they (the advertising agency) may be doing it less consciously than the analysis dictates. So - pick a hero, then make him look good by contrasting him with losers.

In this case he's half caste, in others he may be a very good-looking white bloke.

HOLA4417

No woman has ever been attracted to me because I am docile and stupid. In fact no woman has ever been attracted to me, but I still talked them into it! :blink: The adverts are a joke, and we all get the joke. Even women. ;)

HOLA4418

Check this one out for Rightmove:

http://nwioqeqkdf.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/rightmove-find-your-happy.html

Check out the body language of the old guy, legs pressed together, head sunken, looking like a confused impotent old man. Contrast with black fellow who has legs spread wide open, and is the only cool, calm collected person in the advert. Young white guy is a bumbling hipster laughing stock.

I feel guilty for even 'seeing' what the people on that site see. But I can't really deny it.

We've recently had two initiatives promoted at work both times the hierarchy was this:

Shop floor - represented by white guy

Office worker - represented by brown haired woman

Manager - represented by black guy

Exec - represented by blonde haired woman.

Not a coincidence IMO. Just more attempts a social engineering.

HOLA4419

No woman has ever been attracted to me because I am docile and stupid. In fact no woman has ever been attracted to me, but I still talked them into it! :blink: The adverts are a joke, and we all get the joke. Even women. ;)

But having seen off the 1970s Comedians perpetual denigration of women to get a cheap laugh (some of which does make me cringe now tbh) we now have the perpetual denigration of men to get a cheap laugh.

That's not really progress. It's just picking on someone else. Like bullies (at school and on the telly, Jimmy Carr) who having found out that they will receive severe punishment for picking on blacks, indians etc. start laying into "gingers" because that's funny isn't it.

No it bloody isn't. Either stop picking on people or make it okay to pick on anybody again.

HOLA4420

But having seen off the 1970s Comedians perpetual denigration of women to get a cheap laugh (some of which does make me cringe now tbh) we now have the perpetual denigration of men to get a cheap laugh.

That's not really progress. It's just picking on someone else. Like bullies (at school and on the telly, Jimmy Carr) who having found out that they will receive severe punishment for picking on blacks, indians etc. start laying into "gingers" because that's funny isn't it.

No it bloody isn't. Either stop picking on people or make it okay to pick on anybody again.

Australians are good victims nowadays. Let's laugh at them now the Pak and Irish jokes are gone. Discussed this with an Australian colleague. :unsure:

HOLA4421

Australians are good victims nowadays. Let's laugh at them now the Pak and Irish jokes are gone. Discussed this with an Australian colleague. :unsure:

But why's it ok to laugh at Aussies?

It so annoys me, (and I've said this before, I know) that Welsh and gingers seem to be fair game for every office buffoon.

Why? Why is it okay to give those people a verbal kicking.

I am neither Welsh nor ginger (though I have Welsh friends and fancy ginger women) but wince when yet another stale joke gets trotted out against them yet again. Because it's OK TO HAVE A GO AT THEM.

HOLA4422

I guess the bigger question is why do we feel the need in adverts to make other people look like idiots (see the 'our kind of person' halifax advert as an exampls); as if that's the only way to make the other person look good.

It's all rather nasty really, isn't it.

HOLA4423

Not a coincidence IMO. Just more attempts a social engineering.

I can understand if it was social engineering if it was from a government/BBC type organisation. But when it's selling mortgages, estate agents or home appliances surely it's the bottom line that matters?

This is another one although I though the comments about the guys hair and nose were unnecessary

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Im glad im not alone. I am constantly barking at the tv these days. I actually find it rather terrifying to be honest.

We are all alone!

Archived