House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ccc

Clearly Sexist Adverts/scenes On Tv

In light of the new 'sex crimes with little evidence' thread - I thought I would start this one.

I see this stuff all the time and have a few rants about it. Will be handy to keep a track - even just for my own satisfaction. :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Advert I saw on last night. Didnt work very well as I cant remember who it was for. Yoga class. FIt burd. Fat guy. She was doing some standing pose and staring longingly at him as he was doing a floor pose.

Keeps on staring and staring until she almost falls over. Screen flashes - he turns into a huge plump chicken and she was apparently actually reminded that she needed a new kitchen thermometer in order to stick in this big fat plumpy chickens ass.

The advert was for some place where you order items online.

Reverse the roles. Hot guy staring at fat burd who reminded him of a plump chicken - who then sticks something sharp into her.

Never going to be an advert on TV today. 100% guaranteed.

Feel free to add !!

Guest eight

Virgin Media advert of a little girl looking at videos of successful women. Actually I think it was just the creepy look at the end that bothered me....

Yeah, cos Billie Holiday is a great role model.

Nearly every advert seems to feature a stupid man being put right by his partner, in my experience. I thought that was how stuff was sold.

Also you can clearly only open a bank account if you're in a mixed race relationship.

I remember one from the early nineties, I think it was for a Nissan Micra or some such small car.

The billboard advert showed a chap doubled over holding himself as one would if he'd just been kicked between the legs, with the strapline 'ask before you borrow it'

Even one of the columnists in car magazine wrote about how a similar advert showing a female with a black eye with the same strapline would have caused a national outcry.

Guest eight

Virgin Media advert of a little girl looking at videos of successful women. Actually I think it was just the creepy look at the end that bothered me....

It also always reminds me of that bit in Clueless.

"Do you like Billie Holiday?"

"I love him."

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yes, I'm still waiting for the male version of this, with a little boy looking at videos of successful men. Presumably this must be coming soon?

I think it was the inclusion of Paloma Faith.

Most

annoying

woman

ever.

Yes I cringe and get angry every time I see that Virgin Media one, as if women are actually some oppressed class in the western world.

There's a kitchen advert that features a very average-looking woman at a party, and an overweight, but cheery and 'nice guy' bloke walks up to her to talk to her, and she recoils in horror, to which the overweight NiceGuy just wanders off cheerily. She the steps into a new kitchen where a good looking Clooney like man hands her a wine glass and they sit down to a romantic dinner together. Because she's worth it.

If that were an advert where a bloke with a DadBod rejected an overweight woman, and then teleported to a scene where he was about to band a supermodel, the feminists would be up in arms.

I think the only reason that the media and advertising get away with portraying mean as useless idiots is that deep down we all know it's complete rubbish. Also I'd guess advertising is mainly targeted at women anyway.

I actually don't see TV adverts very often, but they are all of a muchness. Is it Lloyds bank where everyone has big noses because they lied to get the mortgage.

As I see it there are two approaches in advertising:

1.) The appeal to fantasy (the "you're worth it" approach.) Where you try to convince the mark that things would be going their way if they were the sort of successful go getter who bought your product.

2.) The deliberate fostering of an apparent insecurity in the mark that can be magically fixed by your product.

This thread is about adverts aimed at women that are of the first type. The fact that these tend to show them getting the better of men implies to me that the advertisers think that in real life their target market doesn't believe that they do actually get the better of the men in their life, but wish that they did.

Most adverts aimed at women are actually the second type. I posted the video below last time we had a thread like this, but I'll post it again :)

P.s. that Virgin media one does my head in too :)

I get irritated with the use of the word 'ethnic' to mean 'non-white'.

'Ethnicity' is an other word for 'culture', i.e. the misuse of the word implies white people do not have a culture.

I had to declare myself "white British" on a new form the NHS have made for each dental appointment. If I had put "asian other" who would anyone have noticed? Words are often misused.

I had to declare myself "white British" on a new form the NHS have made for each dental appointment. If I had put "asian other" who would anyone have noticed? Words are often misused.

One of my many petty sabotages of box-ticking, form-filling society is to decide a new, random ethnic identity and sexual orientation every time. My rod licence application was made by a gay Irish-traveller, IIRC.

"Mixed race other" Mr Pin, that is the choice of the truly enlightened.

Actually that probably sums up us all. :blink:

My 3 year old daughter is a Pepper Pig fanatic.

"Daddy Pig" is routinely portrayed as a well meaning but essentially incompetent fool in basically every episode. My wife has actually banned Pepper Pig from our house as she felt our daughter was starting to believe the stereotype and view me in the same light (I do wonder if I contributed to this).

"Daddy Pig" is routinely portrayed as a well meaning but essentially incompetent fool in basically every episode. My wife has actually banned Pepper Pig from our house as she felt our daughter was starting to believe the stereotype and view me in the same light (I do wonder if I contributed to this).

Mr "incompetent" is a current meme. It gets everywhere.

Guest eight

I got there first.

I watched Peppa Pig this morning.

Daddy Pig, despite being the breadwinner of the piece (I think he is supposed to be some sort of engineer) is portrayed as a hapless fool who is a figure of endless ridicule to his own wife and children.

Richard D Hall has also spoken about this.

I have to change the channel when that s***e is on my TV.

As I see it there are two approaches in advertising:

1.) The appeal to fantasy (the "you're worth it" approach.) Where you try to convince the mark that things would be going their way if they were the sort of successful go getter who bought your product.

2.) The deliberate fostering of an apparent insecurity in the mark that can be magically fixed by your product.

This thread is about adverts aimed at women that are of the first type. The fact that these tend to show them getting the better of men implies to me that the advertisers think that in real life their target market doesn't believe that they do actually get the better of the men in their life, but wish that they did.

Most adverts aimed at women are actually the second type. I posted the video below last time we had a thread like this, but I'll post it again :)

P.s. that Virgin media one does my head in too :)

What ads aren't "aimed at women"? surely the point of the M&W sketch

the ISIS version of this says:

"hi, I'm jihadi john, I got a virgin media account, but don't get all precious on me....these bastards still owe me 71 more!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :lol:"

know your place,bitch!

(worth a photoshop if anyone has the time!.

I'm thinkin replace branson's mugshot- or the linford Christie speed test thingy with bin laden or something)

And if you are in any doubt that racism is a one way street, there`s this

I don't think calling white people white or black people black is racist. If you call a black bear black or a white dog white is that racist against the other bears and dogs?

The problem is too much sensitivity to racism which is a one way street, that is a lot of sensitivity to racism against black, brown, Asian but not against white people.

I think it's clear in the TV show it's satirical of people who are racist, rather than a serious statement. Satire of racism is not supportive of it. You get a lot of this kind of satire with American comedians but Americans don't have political correctness culture as bad as ours.