House Price Crash Forum

Breadmaking Machine Technical Question

Frank Hovis

HOLA441

Has anyone got a good no-knead bread recipe?

I don't knead bread much, You can just about do it with a wooden spoon, but just to make sure it's all mixed, it usualy needs a minute of light kneading

Alternatively, a bit more water so it's easier to mix, and make a flatter loaf.

A beaten egg also makes a nice change.

HOLA442

Yes, it might have been a soda bread. Do you knead soda bread? I'm envious of anyone with the time to make bread at home regularly (I do from time to time), but can imagine doing it more if I could cut out a few of the steps!

HOLA443

Yes, it might have been a soda bread. Do you knead soda bread? I'm envious of anyone with the time to make bread at home regularly (I do from time to time), but can imagine doing it more if I could cut out a few of the steps!

Once a week or so......takes 10 mins to collect, weigh ingredients and ten mins to knead.......can be left in a bowl covered to prove time does not matter, all day cool place one to two hours warmer place.....how high it rises does not matter as long as it doubles in size........then knock back to the volume it was, shape, put on baking sheet cover for 45 mins, cook for approx 30 mins..........you can do four large loves at a time two on two shelves of an oven......use one freeze three, take out freezer night or morning before needed.....doing it a few times and if organised it becomes very easy, second nature, a part of life. :)

HOLA444

Can you put some sort of food safe grease on the wearing parts?

It wouldn't need to be food safe (it's below the tin's base) but I don't think this would have much effect as they're not sliding over each other, it's just pushing it around by brute force so it would just push the grease out of the way.

HOLA445

I bought one of these Lidl ones for my parents, they use it a hell of a lot. Those little metal wings on the bottom of the tin do wear a bit. I think my dad put some grease of some sort on them so they don't wear.

If your tin is too far gone you can get a spare from the maker, Kompernass:

https://www.kompernass.com/index.php?_route_=SilverCrest

Might be this one, 9 quid:

https://www.kompernass.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=106

HOLA446

Has anyone got a good no-knead bread recipe?

I once tried a loaf that someone had made by mixing ingredients in a bowl with a wooden spoon and then (I think) putting straight into a bread tin and into the oven, with no rise beforehand. Does this sound possible? I can't exactly recall how she said it was made, but it was definitely no-knead.

Probably soda bread. Dead easy to make, fantastic with pate or cheese. Just needs flour, bran, yoghurt, salt and bicarbonate of soda, do this when the oven is hot as you don't want to let it stand as the bicarbonate of soda will lose its potency. Work quickly. Mound into a big bun shape, make a deep cross across the top with the handle of a wooded spoon and bung it in the oven for about 20 mins.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

To flag up if any home bread maker hasn't seen it, the BBC2 programme Victorian Bakers

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/group/b06vn7sj

is superb.

Unlike so many of these programmes this has four modern bakers - not celebs - actually doing what the bakers would have been doing then rather than just playing at it. It is incredibly hard work and you can see how tired and aching they are.

Really well done. Episode 1 is hard but Episode 2 is brutal; I haven't seen episode 3 yet.

HOLA4410

To flag up if any home bread maker hasn't seen it, the BBC2 programme Victorian Bakers

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/group/b06vn7sj

is superb.

Unlike so many of these programmes this has four modern bakers - not celebs - actually doing what the bakers would have been doing then rather than just playing at it. It is incredibly hard work and you can see how tired and aching they are.

Really well done. Episode 1 is hard but Episode 2 is brutal; I haven't seen episode 3 yet.

You do think the BBC is good, after all? :wacko: Actually that series looks interesting.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

You do think the BBC is good, after all? :wacko: Actually that series looks interesting.

There was a fantastic series that started on BBC4 the other night - forget the title but it was about islands and evolution. Started with Hawaii, where the volcanic islands are a max of 5 million years old, and how the different species might have got there, and evolved since.

For a change the presenter didn't waffle and it wasn't dumbed down.

HOLA4415

There was a fantastic series that started on BBC4 the other night - forget the title but it was about islands and evolution. Started with Hawaii, where the volcanic islands are a max of 5 million years old, and how the different species might have got there, and evolved since.

For a change the presenter didn't waffle and it wasn't dumbed down.

There should be more of this stuff. It entertains, informs, and educates.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

I don't knead bread much, You can just about do it with a wooden spoon, but just to make sure it's all mixed, it usualy needs a minute of light kneading

Alternatively, a bit more water so it's easier to mix, and make a flatter loaf.

A beaten egg also makes a nice change.

Yeah wooden spoon and glass bowl. A plastic spatula works as well. A wooden spoon will change the water content as will suck moisture out.

My view is the no knead dough doesn't need relaxing as you need to do with kneaded dough. Also as the dough is relaxed seemed to get a better oven spring.

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4418

Archived