House Price Crash Forum

New Car Time (I Love Threads Like This...) Lexus Rx450 / Gs450 Type?

Snafu

HOLA441

My dad was a firm believer of keeping old cars until his wife had a crash - and it had no airbag. Queue split face, broken arm etc. Security trumps savings in my book. Maybe your car has an airbag, but does it work? :)

Got an air bag, the passenger side doesn't, but to be honest I wouldn't care if it didn't, and my passengers don't seem to mind.....they have never refused a lift. ;)

Edit to say, reminded me of this....nothing is fail-safe.

http://www.news.com.au/national/toyota-and-nissan-recall-280000-vehicles-over-airbags-that-could-spray-deadly-shrapnel/news-story/1c8b12a8824030e06a0310026b802684

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

I think Range Rovers are on par with fiats with reliability, and hence would automatically be discarded. My first car was a fiat punto which died 3 months later. I sold it very hastily soon afterwards (and annoyingly it lived for another 2 years at least). Knee jerk reaction was then to buy a brand new mazda for reliability reasons, which was another stupid mistake. Buying a brand new car ...daft as hell. Jeez.

Buying a new mazda is fine.

Selling a Mazda you bought new? Jeez, good luck with that!

Lexuses (Lexi?) are nice cars. I think in this case I'd prefer the saloon although I'd rather a LS than a GS. Even the current IS looks nice.

HOLA443

Buying a new mazda is fine.

Selling a Mazda you bought new? Jeez, good luck with that!

Lexuses (Lexi?) are nice cars. I think in this case I'd prefer the saloon although I'd rather a LS than a GS. Even the current IS looks nice.

LS are nicer, you're right . more choice

Edit: unless you go for the ls600 theyre not hybrids though, dang.

HOLA444

Cheers.....I will do my homework......I really would be reluctant to give up my loyal 15 year old pass mot first time last 7 years, start up first time every time, cheap to insure and run old faithful, so in no desperate rush to buy this moment but putting feelers out..... a time will come and I want to be ready. ;)

Peugeot 206 SW 1.4 diesel. Very cheap to run, decent gears and acceleration. Worth consideration imo

HOLA445

MrPin's Lexus LS is rather older than that, and has the well known dodgy dashboard problems. Apart from that, it's a nice car for not much. It's not very economical, and doesn't fit parking spaces. :huh:

HOLA446

That's the model I'm contemplating. How far can you drive on electric only, any idea?

Not sure. I only use it to help with acceleration lol 0 to 60 in under 5 seconds and v fast midrange acceleration too. I suppose if you go at under 20 mph, then some distance. But the petrol engine kicks in automatically at about 15 to 20 mph.

HOLA447
HOLA448

Wife's got an RX400h, so not the newest model. It only does 27mpg in any kind of driving and also the 4 wheel drive won't lock - instead it's one of those where the back wheels only kick in when the front ones slip. Other than that, it's lovely.

HOLA449

Wife's got an RX400h, so not the newest model. It only does 27mpg in any kind of driving and also the 4 wheel drive won't lock - instead it's one of those where the back wheels only kick in when the front ones slip. Other than that, it's lovely.

It's lovely when the back wheels suddenly get some 4x4 love while in a wet roundabout. Or snow .

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I don't know about the models you're looking at but I'm on my third IS250, and I have quite a lot of time for Lexus. Mainly because you get a lot of bits and bobs as standard which you'd have to pay for with a lot of comparable manufacturers. Servicing costs are reasonable, and the cars are comfortable and seem well built.

I am absolutely a convert to Japanese cars these days. Unless it's diesel, in which case, run like hell.

HOLA4413

I don't know about the models you're looking at but I'm on my third IS250, and I have quite a lot of time for Lexus. Mainly because you get a lot of bits and bobs as standard which you'd have to pay for with a lot of comparable manufacturers. Servicing costs are reasonable, and the cars are comfortable and seem well built.

I am absolutely a convert to Japanese cars these days. Unless it's diesel, in which case, run like hell.

I think I would agree that the major Japanese companies make good stuff. I'm on my second LS, and I would have another one. Also I think diesels are smelly, and I don't do enough miles to warrant one. Friend has a diesel IS that he's quite happy with. It hasn't blown up like his old BMW. :blink:

HOLA4414

If you look carefully Bmw used the styling as a prototype for the X6.

Ha ha, yes I can see it now.

I see a few X6s in Norfolk. I think they look utter shite for an 80 grand 'off roader'. Those hulking things can't be that great to drive shirley?

HOLA4415

I think I would agree that the major Japanese companies make good stuff. I'm on my second LS, and I would have another one. Also I think diesels are smelly, and I don't do enough miles to warrant one. Friend has a diesel IS that he's quite happy with. It hasn't blown up like his old BMW. :blink:

Ah, I had an IS220d, which had constant problems with some sort of valve. I had it back in the garage 3 times before telling them to buy it back off me, and they admitted at that point that their diesel know-how was somewhat lacking. The petrol engines are brilliant though.

HOLA4416

Ha ha, yes I can see it now.

I see a few X6s in Norfolk. I think they look utter shite for an 80 grand 'off roader'. Those hulking things can't be that great to drive shirley?

A friend of mine owns an X5. He bought it for going up the bumpy lane leading to his house, he'd have done better to get himself an old Citroen. The BMW is a great car but by god is the ride harsh, all the time, even on what looks like the smoothest tarmac. I imagine the X6 is the same.

(The car has the smallest alloys available with standard issue runflats)

HOLA4417

Big luxurious things? My list, in increasing order of insanity:

Jag XJ6 - x300 or x308. Can be had for not a lot, will do huge mileages and the problems are well understood and avoidable. XJRs and the like offer comical performance. Repairs are simple, and they are pretty reliable in the main.

Alfa 166. Stop laughing. They can do space shuttle mileages and certainly the v6 engines are hard as nails. 3.0 is the one to have. Again, the problems are well known, mostly fixed by now and avoidable.

Bentley Turbo R. Of course it doesn't make sense, but who cares.

IMO Lexi are worthy but a little dull.

HOLA4418

Big luxurious things? My list, in increasing order of insanity:

Jag XJ6 - x300 or x308. Can be had for not a lot, will do huge mileages and the problems are well understood and avoidable. XJRs and the like offer comical performance. Repairs are simple, and they are pretty reliable in the main.

Alfa 166. Stop laughing. They can do space shuttle mileages and certainly the v6 engines are hard as nails. 3.0 is the one to have. Again, the problems are well known, mostly fixed by now and avoidable.

Bentley Turbo R. Of course it doesn't make sense, but who cares.

IMO Lexi are worthy but a little dull.

Nowt wrong with Alfa's...I'd have another one at the drop of a hat...Had a 156 for seven years...Pretty much faultless (apart from having to replace an alternator)...Next time, I'd get a Brera...

HOLA4419

Nowt wrong with Alfa's...I'd have another one at the drop of a hat...Had a 156 for seven years...Pretty much faultless (apart from having to replace an alternator)...Next time, I'd get a Brera...

I'm still playing with the idea of an Alfa GT 3.2V6, but now I've gotten so used to the 4WD of the Impreza that I don't know if I can go back to FWD (even excellent handling FWD as the Alfas have).

HOLA4420

I'm still playing with the idea of an Alfa GT 3.2V6, but now I've gotten so used to the 4WD of the Impreza that I don't know if I can go back to FWD (even excellent handling FWD as the Alfas have).

I have a GT 3.2. As standard, they are fairly flawed in the handling department - torque steer, under steer, too much roll. However, the car is utterly transformed with a limited slip diff and thicker anti roll bars. The limit of its cornering ability is your ability to stay in the driver's seat. I've done these mods to my commuting 156 (2.5), and it regularly humiliates far more capable cars on roundabouts. Get a GT before V6s are illegal....

HOLA4421

I have a GT 3.2. As standard, they are fairly flawed in the handling department - torque steer, under steer, too much roll. However, the car is utterly transformed with a limited slip diff and thicker anti roll bars. The limit of its cornering ability is your ability to stay in the driver's seat. I've done these mods to my commuting 156 (2.5), and it regularly humiliates far more capable cars on roundabouts. Get a GT before V6s are illegal....

The Alfa 147 GTA (3.2l)

HOLA4422

So apart from the wayward handling in standard trim, the other two complaints in that vid a depreciation and reliability.

Alfa are having the last laugh on depreciation - you won't get a decent 147 GTA for less than 7K and I've seen a good 156 GTA go for 11K recently. GT 3.2s have bottomed at about 4K and are rising now.

Never experienced the Alfa unreliability, despite owning several of them.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Anyone got any experience with Infiniti (Nissan version of Lexus)?. Thru appear to have massive specs for the price and awful depreciation so there are apparently some bargains to be had.

Everyone in Dubai's got one. A bit "new money" for me.

HOLA4425

So apart from the wayward handling in standard trim, the other two complaints in that vid a depreciation and reliability.

Alfa are having the last laugh on depreciation - you won't get a decent 147 GTA for less than 7K and I've seen a good 156 GTA go for 11K recently. GT 3.2s have bottomed at about 4K and are rising now.

Never experienced the Alfa unreliability, despite owning several of them.

I've been told by a couple of people "in the know" that post 2001 Alfa's don't suffer anything like the problems that they used to, which were usually electrical...

Archived