House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Snafu

New Car Time (I Love Threads Like This...) Lexus Rx450 / Gs450 Type?

I love "what car should I buy-threads" so I thought i'd start one. I only ever buy practical cars. My worst nightmare would be to buy a two seater sports car. Currently driving a 7 seat SUV type car of korean origin. I'm thinking of a nice luxurious older type car - 5 years old maybe automatic and ideally a little bit of electric driving too (our other car is a fully electric which totally sold me on 1. automatic gearboxes and 2. electric mumbojumbo).

Anyone have any experience of Lexus's ? In particular the RX and GS ones? Going against the GS ones are small boot and being a saloon, I would only ever typicaly buy a hatch. However, the GS's are a lot cheaper than equivalent RX's (at least if you're looking at RX450's and GS450's of a similar age).

MPG not super important as I drive 8k per year or thereabouts - 30-35ish is "ok".

I predict this thread will soon be full of people telling you to buy a 20 year old car for £150 and that anything more than that is a waste of money. When that happens, maybe try posting again on a car forum.... ;)

I predict this thread will soon be full of people telling you to buy a 20 year old car for £150 and that anything more than that is a waste of money. When that happens, maybe try posting again on a car forum.... ;)

I was resisting! I know somebody with an old Lexus 4x4 and he loves it so I didn't want to dissuade the OP - go for it - but I know nothing abouth these type of cars.

Anyone have any experience of Lexus's ? In particular the RX and GS ones? Going against the GS ones are small boot and being a saloon, I would only ever typicaly buy a hatch. However, the GS's are a lot cheaper than equivalent RX's (at least if you're looking at RX450's and GS450's of a similar age).

I could never criticise the Lexus GS for having a small boot! It's a bloody big car imo. :)

Re: Ssangyong Rodius - one of the worst looking cars ever imo. What on Earth was the designer taking?

Get a Subaru Forester XT, the thinking man's WRX. B)

I do quite like these. Far cheaper than similar cars - simply because they dont look quite so 'cool' I imagine.

You should get a full fat Range Rover with the 5L supercharged V8, or get the V8 diesel if you're concerned about economy ;)

The Rangie is the best in terms of looks, class, ride quality, off-road ability and luxury. The only downside is reliability which isn't fantastic but not terrible either. Do not buy one in white with big wheels or people will assume you are a glamour model married to a premier league football player.

You should get a full fat Range Rover with the 5L supercharged V8, or get the V8 diesel if you're concerned about economy ;)

The Rangie is the best in terms of looks, class, ride quality, off-road ability and luxury. The only downside is reliability which isn't fantastic but not terrible either. Do not buy one in white with big wheels or people will assume you are a glamour model married to a premier league football player.

If I'm completely honest the Sport does everything, quite markedly, better excluding interior trim and is more reliable.

I have a 57 GS450H (h is for hybrid) and I absolutely love it! ;)

That's the model I'm contemplating. How far can you drive on electric only, any idea?

Always liked the GS (not the very newest model). The RX is vile looking IMO. Both surely have issues with hybrid batteries after a few years. But If you are only looking for 30-35 mpg, why get a hybrid?

I don't necessarily dislike odd looking cars. Wouldn't say it's vile necessarily? I mean, I quite like the Nissan Cube! I dislike the Nissan Juke mind.

Well to answer the hybrid question. I do 6 miles to work, 3 of those miles are probably doing 20-30mph so if that can be done on electric, but the rest using the petrol engine I'm ok with that. the 3 miles not doing 30mph is the A19 where the roads that merge onto it is way too short and a v6 might just be the answer to ensure a safe merging experience. That is how i justify the very large petrol engine anyway....

Guest eight

I don't necessarily dislike odd looking cars. Wouldn't say it's vile necessarily? I mean, I quite like the Nissan Cube! I dislike the Nissan Juke mind.

Well to answer the hybrid question. I do 6 miles to work, 3 of those miles are probably doing 20-30mph so if that can be done on electric, but the rest using the petrol engine I'm ok with that. the 3 miles not doing 30mph is the A19 where the roads that merge onto it is way too short and a v6 might just be the answer to ensure a safe merging experience. That is how i justify the very large petrol engine anyway....

Holywell Roundabout by any chance? Scares the crap out of me.

I am in the market for a new old banger......any recommendations? must be cheap to buy (in full) economical to run and insure and very reliable, low mileage, age doesn't matter.....one careful loving owner with full service history. ;)

I am in the market for a new old banger......any recommendations? must be cheap to buy (in full) economical to run and insure and very reliable, low mileage, age doesn't matter.....one careful loving owner with full service history. ;)

Pretty much any 8 year old hatchback with reasonable mileage, few or no advisories at the last MoT, looks in decent nick and one or two owners in my opinion winkie.

These days I don't think you can go far wrong and the makes are all very similar.

Anybody who says you must buy a <insert make or type of car here> is about fifteen years out of date.

Pretty much any 8 year old hatchback with reasonable mileage, few or no advisories at the last MoT, looks in decent nick and one or two owners in my opinion winkie.

These days I don't think you can go far wrong and the makes are all very similar.

Anybody who says you must buy a <insert make or type of car here> is about fifteen years out of date.

Cheers.....I will do my homework......I really would be reluctant to give up my loyal 15 year old pass mot first time last 7 years, start up first time every time, cheap to insure and run old faithful, so in no desperate rush to buy this moment but putting feelers out..... a time will come and I want to be ready. ;)

Cheers.....I will do my homework......I really would be reluctant to give up my loyal 15 year old pass mot first time last 7 years, start up first time every time, cheap to insure and run old faithful, so in no desperate rush to buy this moment but putting feelers out..... a time will come and I want to be ready. ;)

My dad was a firm believer of keeping old cars until his wife had a crash - and it had no airbag. Queue split face, broken arm etc. Security trumps savings in my book. Maybe your car has an airbag, but does it work? :)