House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheCountOfNowhere

Students Are Blocking Westminster Bridge...about Ten Of Them

They aren't forced into debt. Far from it. Plenty of companies recruit non graduates, Pearson being the latest to do so.

Another layer of entitlement which needs to be dealt with.

Yup. The constant education is a right not a privilege attitude wears thin.

Even if you view it as a right (debatable), its there if you want it. Libraries, internet, Khan academy or these other free online learning conduits.

What they want is for the rest of society to pay for them to be perpetual children.

They should be chastising their asset rich parents who opted for unchecked housing inflation, who were gifted the social housing stock, and enjoyed free education with no national service, AND, who elected successive governments who executed the public will.

These kids are a bunch of unenlightened FUDS who need to get grip on reality.

FFS, learn a language and go study in Europe for a start!

Apparently there's been something going on around there on and off for a while now.

Last year for instance.

The protesters are unlikely to be able to stop Mr Osborne from reaching Parliament to give his statement because of a network of basements that connect most of the buildings in the Whitehall area.

For sure there'll be heavily reinforced underground bunkers linking to the underground rail system.

I half agree with them. I would whole-heartedly support tax payer funded further education for those intelligent enough and interested in fields that would be likely to do something useful for society in future.

But that would exclude 80% of all current university students, bugger up the unemployment figures, and reduce the pool of willing borrowers. Never going to happen.

Apparently there's been something going on around there on and off for a while now.

Last year for instance.

For sure there'll be heavily reinforced underground bunkers linking to the underground rail system.

Yeah, i've heard of a few "scuffles" that never seem to be reported :blink:

No idea what to believe any more.

Also, Im sure these people arent being forced into debt but they will certainly be made feel like they have to go to Uni and the only way to do that now, for most is to buy into the bankers drug.

Looking back over the last 30 years it looks like the current system has been orchestrated and well thought out to maximize the banking industry.

They should be chastising their asset rich parents who opted for unchecked housing inflation, who were gifted the social housing stock, and enjoyed free education with no national service, AND, who elected successive governments who executed the public will.

These kids are a bunch of unenlightened FUDS who need to get grip on reality.

FFS, learn a language and go study in Europe for a start!

Easy to say with the benefit of knowledge and hindsight behind you. I remember being a right old clueless sod when i went to uni in the mid 90's. I still was when I left. I still was in 2007 when I'd spent nearly a decade as a buyer in international supply chains and was still wondering why what I was seeing happen in reality with regards to globalisation was the complete opposite of what I'd been brainwashed about globalisation through A levels and a Business degree. Then I found this site. Then I discovered James Goldsmiths 'The Trap'. Now I've a pretty solid understanding of what has happened, how and why. And at nearly 40, I'm still one of the few that I know who has any idea regarding all this. Castigating late teens and early 20 somethings for not being economically & politically astute is pretty dumb in itself.

I half agree with them. I would whole-heartedly support tax payer funded further education for those intelligent enough and interested in fields that would be likely to do something useful for society in future.

But that would exclude 80% of all current university students, bugger up the unemployment figures, and reduce the pool of willing borrowers. Never going to happen.

Better that the government didn't fund any of 'em. Numbers would fall the desired 80% PDQ and the capable would just as easily pick up sponsorships or private loans.

In the modern competitive world, the sons/daughters of the rich wouldn't be able to monopolise in the way they did in the cosy world of old UK with civil service jobs for those with the right tie.

Politicians came up with the target of 50% for further education.

Politicians sold out those less academically gifted and invited millions of workers to openly undercut them.

Politicians came up with lax BTL regs/financing to allow work to be displaced by those willing to slum it of the short term.

Companies who wanted the above from the Politicians then upped the qualifications required for the most mundane management/other jobs out there.

So the young basically have a choice, compete with the slum level market or try and get a qualification that will raise them above it.

This is certainly not a situation where the young themselves can be criticised for the situation they find themselves in.

I don't buy the education via the library/internet route. You can do that on the side but you need the scroll at the end of the day. Personally (and I suspect in others experience too), my degree was a piece of paper that gets me jobs. Nothing more. And it wasn't a mickey mouse degree (Chemistry). Without the degree I would not even be able to apply to any job I have done post-university. Its the first requirement. Why is that their fault that we all need a degree these days to do jobs where a degree isn't actually needed? I would rather not have gone to university, skipped all the debt and got a decent apprenticeship out of school and a decent career out of that. Not many of those about. I consider myself very fortunate as my degree has served me well but I don't blame young people for being angry at either taking on a mountain of debt or stacking shelfs at Tesco.

They aren't forced into debt. Far from it. Plenty of companies recruit non graduates, Pearson being the latest to do so.

Another layer of entitlement which needs to be dealt with.

The government should crack down on companies like Pearson avoiding tax. They are running over 20% of their subsidiaries in offshore tax havens.... I'm sure the tax avoided by Pearson and the other FTSE 100 companies would be ample enough money to give everyone in this country a decent higher education. Okay were this to happen, maybe the government still wouldn't offer free education but the money would certainly help.

Not forgetting the overall benefits to society of having a well educated workforce that aren't mired in debt.