House Price Crash Forum

Friends Re-United To Close - Facebook Next Hopefully

HOLA441

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35343091

So bye bye to Friends Re-united.

I wonder what will cause Facebook's demise? I would imagine growing privacy concerns, and wider use of browsers that block cookies and ads. Eventually advertisers will give up using them.

I have to say whilst I have a Facebook account, they don't get anything commercially useful from me. I block/delete all cookies, and use multiple devices with VPN and tracker blocking software and only ever log in momentarily to see if anyone had tried to message me - I then generally communicate over email.

I think this type of technology will become more and more standard over time. A lot of browsers already have private browsing modes, if more people used that, I guess that would kill Facebook off eventually.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

I had a fishing email from friends reunited probably ~10 years ago telling me that a friend wanted to get in touch. So I paid my £5 as required to get mail but it still wouldn't let me in as it was such a poor website. Customer services were no better and I gave up seeking a refund.

Only so many years you can flog a dead horse and steal people's loose change.

HOLA445

It seems terrible. It took me 3 minutes just to find my old school because you have to spell it exactly the way they decided to enlist it. Then I have to login or register before I can even see anything. I think the concept of teaser content was lost on whoever designed it. That's as far as I got. I suppose I don't really know if it gets better from there, but I wasn't feeling confident.

HOLA446

FR was good to start with, and it had more members than any other British organisation, even the National Trust. The owners held out from selling up for many years. It was handy for looking up old friends and a spinoff was Genes Reunited, a genaeology website (is that still going?).

When it was taken over the new owners made it totally useless and unworkable.

Pity really, It was useful for contacting people without Facebook-like spam.

I hope Facebook dies soon, FWIW.

HOLA447

I'm sure that the number of older people now using Facebook, I know several people who've joined purely to keep an eye on their kids, will drive teenagers onto the next trendy platform to get away from the oldies.

They're the marketing target audience so the advertising will follow and Facebook will slowly fade away.

Good.

HOLA448

Friends reunited formed 2000, dead 2016. Facebook formed 2004 - dead 2020?

will drive teenagers onto the next trendy platform to get away from the oldies.

My teenager doesn't touch facebook. Says it's for old people.

HOLA449

I'm sure that the number of older people now using Facebook, I know several people who've joined purely to keep an eye on their kids, will drive teenagers onto the next trendy platform to get away from the oldies.

They're the marketing target audience so the advertising will follow and Facebook will slowly fade away.

Good.

I could imagine that, Facebook becoming the SAGA of the social networking world.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Facebook killed Friends Reunited.

Facebook will die when the "Next Big Thing" comes along to replace it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35343091

So bye bye to Friends Re-united.

I wonder what will cause Facebook's demise? I would imagine growing privacy concerns, and wider use of browsers that block cookies and ads. Eventually advertisers will give up using them.

I have to say whilst I have a Facebook account, they don't get anything commercially useful from me. I block/delete all cookies, and use multiple devices with VPN and tracker blocking software and only ever log in momentarily to see if anyone had tried to message me - I then generally communicate over email.

I think this type of technology will become more and more standard over time. A lot of browsers already have private browsing modes, if more people used that, I guess that would kill Facebook off eventually.

FR died the moment people realised it was a site that put you in contact with people you never really wanted to hear from/about. Your past is exactly that, the world is a different place to the 1980's/1970's, nobody is interested in hearing about Veronica or Mark from secondary school.

Facebook is about family and friends (that is how it is now drifting towards) so a different use

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I was always surprised facebook became the dominant player in the social media world

myspace, beebo etc initially had larger numbers of followers and allowed you to more to your pages

why did everyone join a network with fewer friends that let you do less with your page?

was there some functionality I missed, a timing thing or was it down to the MSM pushing facebook

HOLA4414

At least with friends re United, I understood the purpose of the site.

Facebook was useful when I first joined it (2005)...it only accepted people with certain university emails and was useful for keeping up on annoucements. It was far more efficient than the university's official announcements website, anyway.

HOLA4415

Facebook was useful when I first joined it (2005)...it only accepted people with certain university emails and was useful for keeping up on annoucements. It was far more efficient than the university's official announcements website, anyway.

I must be older than you. Back about that time, I just used it to see who was dead or alive :)

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Friends reunited formed 2000, dead 2016. Facebook formed 2004 - dead 2020?

My teenager doesn't touch facebook. Says it's for old people.

Mine don't either. They obsessively watch YouTube music vids and Apple Facetime each other on their iPods/iPhones, etc. I don't think I've heard them mention Facebook at all in the last few months.

HOLA4418

facebooks demise....easy.

one or two upset politicians or businessmen get extremely "friended" by secret mistresses the wife doesn't know about.

maybe even zuckerberg too.

nice when they like prying into other peoples lives, but not so comfortable when they are in the spotlight,is it???

facebook turns private detective/stalker on the inventors!!! poetic justice if ever there was,

I saw your stool sample in the bog after you left the restaurant mark, and I know what you had for dinner(the sweetcorn was such a giveaway!)!!!!! :D:D:D:D

accurate forensic breakdown to confirm said ingredients were indeed swallowed on the evening in question should rattle them a bit.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Mine don't either. They obsessively watch YouTube music vids and Apple Facetime each other on their iPods/iPhones, etc. I don't think I've heard them mention Facebook at all in the last few months.

There seems to be a lot of Instagram and Oovoo mentioned in my house.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

The government should just publish people's tax return with a current shot of them in swimwear every year in a publicly accessible site. No more need for "social networks" you can just check-up on how: current crush, ex's, friends, enemies, family are doing physically and financially without layers of ********.

Archived