House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DTMark

Office 2016: Don't Do It

I was going along fine with Office 2013. Then I made the mistake of accepting the upgrade to 2016 - I have an Office 365 subscription.

The other apps are probably fine but Outlook 2016 is a total shambles.

Right from the outset I'm getting issues all over the place trying to connect to Exchange, profile errors, freezing, crashing, and a week later I still can't get it to work with Exchange.

It is known that Outlook 2016 doesn't work with Exchange 2007. However mine is Exchange 2010 and it doesn't work with that either. The profiles appear to have become corrupted but even deleting and recreating them doesn't work. Even an IMAP account won't add to a Profile, getting stuck in an endless cycle of "Enter your password" dialogs.

In short: don't do it.

I was going along fine with Office 2013. Then I made the mistake of accepting the upgrade to 2016 - I have an Office 365 subscription.

Right from the outset I'm getting issues all over the place trying to connect to Exchange, profile errors, freezing, crashing, and a week later I still can't get it to work with Exchange.

It is known that Outlook 2016 doesn't work with Exchange 2007. However mine is Exchange 2010 and it doesn't work with that either. The profiles appear to have become corrupted but even deleting and recreating them doesn't work. Even an IMAP account won't add to a Profile, getting stuck in an endless cycle of "Enter your password" dialogs.

Use Thunderbird?

These are the immediate faults.

Just wait to find out what else theyve bust.

Im spending a lot of time at the mo. reationlising a number of software products tht used to work on Windows but no longer do.

MS have broken so much that we are close to saying screw it - Ws20012 only.

There's a big market for ripping out corp stuff built on MS sh1t esp. junik like sharepoint in compnaies and SMEs and replacing it with Django/Bootstrap running on top of Postgreql.

Office 97 was the high point for me. Seriously, apart from moving all the menus around have they made many functional changes?

Only recently got moved on from, er, 2000 I think it was at work, to 2007. The user interface has turned utterly dreadful, a real "What were they thinking?" shift, but at least Word doesn't crash on me every other time I try to save.

I'm using Google Docs and Sheets. I'm no computer expert but I find it so easy to use and I can access it from my phone. It works seamlessly.

I got fed up of Microsoft's 'improvements' to their software about a decade ago and shifted to Open Office, which I found simple and unfussy. Moved on again now and won't go back unless Google's servers go bang!

Guest eight

I'm using Google Docs and Sheets.

Me too. MS's problem seems to be that they're trying to find ways to justify charging people for something that's been freeware for at least ten years now.

Me too. MS's problem seems to be that they're trying to find ways to justify charging people for something that's been freeware for at least ten years now.

Google offers free software in the same way that a fisherman offers free lunch.

Righty ho, I'll stick with Office 2000.

2003 for me. I'd still use XP if I could. (Windows 7 Pro now)

A very reliable and productive set up.

I would say we're certainly well past peak word processor and certainly into decline in spreadsheet use.

The country has got an army of office chair warmers, who do something with spreadsheets - phrases like co-ordinator, project or budget manager will often be used to describe the something - and I'd say the future looks pretty bleak for them.

The country has got an army of office chair warmers, who do something with spreadsheets - phrases like co-ordinator, project or budget manager will often be used to describe the something - and I'd say the future looks pretty bleak for them.

They're the ones who seem to be on the rise.

I upgraded from Office 2003 when Office 2007 was released and found it a right pain in the **** with all that mucking about with the ribbon UI and generally hiding and renaming all the functions that I used to use all the time. However, it did manage to fix a lot of problems with tables and bullet lists to the point where I haven't seen a really good reason to upgrade any further for the last few years.

I learnt my M$ upgrade roulette lessons from visual studio which seemed to go to hell in a handbasket when they started making the .NET versions in 2000 and didn't manage to get good or stable again until 2008. That was a lot of thumb twiddling.

It does make you wonder a lot about M$ when upgrading their software becomes a leap into the unknown as to whether your hardware or services will still work. I mean, who do they think they are, Apple?

I miss the days of Microsoft Publisher '97. One application that could make websites, business cards, and paper planes. Great days!

Many businesses and educational establishments still use Ms Office as a "benchmark"....I've used Google Docs, Libre Office & Open Office, and I've found that when exporting from GD, OO or LO to Word, it makes a right pigs ear with the formatting...If you export it as a docx format, and look at it in Word viewer, it looks nothing like what you've done. Its a right faff.

I use Office 2016 at home and it is fine, not much different from 2013 that I use at work. That said I don't use it in conjunction with anything else (like Exchange) that DTMark mentions.

I would say we're certainly well past peak word processor and certainly into decline in spreadsheet use.

What do you recommmend for me as a career change !! :ph34r:

The problem with Office is that people see it as 'just' a word processor or 'just' a spreadsheet so they see something like google docs as equivalent. Both Word and Excel are incredibly powerful. Some of the pivoting and business intelligence (yeah, I know it's an oxymoron :) ) features in the new Excel take things on to another level.

The problem with Office is that people see it as 'just' a word processor or 'just' a spreadsheet so they see something like google docs as equivalent. Both Word and Excel are incredibly powerful. Some of the pivoting and business intelligence (yeah, I know it's an oxymoron :) ) features in the new Excel take things on to another level.

But the floating point and integer arithmetic accuracy leave it only suitable for guesstimates.

But the floating point and integer arithmetic accuracy leave it only suitable for guesstimates.

Quite, I am amazed how people trust it for stats, especially.

I'm tied into MS Word though due to the portability for publishing, although I haven't upgraded since 2008 and probably won't until they force a global format change as they did with doc to docx