House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pl1

Tablets Causing Death & Disintegration Of Forums

I do it myself. Constantly on my tablet, see a post in hpc I want to reply to but cant be bothered to tediously type out a reply onto the onscreen kbd. Even my punctuatin and spelling suffers, I cant be bothered with apostropges so Im high on the hitlist of the Apostrophe Protection Society.

Just look at this post... and this was hard work!

Anybody else feeling this?

Antique Monkeys anyone?

I write my forum posts with quill and ink then post them in to the mods to reproduce in the new fangled electronic format that is the fashion these days.

My butler does the social sites for me, so I can spend time to grope farming girls at the Gurt Clodney Easter piano smashing do!

Ever since I was connected to the internet, I've always had one 'forum' on the go that was my go to mainly for 'off topic' chat like this. In recent years obviously social media has taken over, but I find social media, especially twitter and facebook, to be very limited and shallow compared to the discussions that you can get going on a forum.

I even saw a similar effect in online dating; the few women who I really liked where without fail the ones who wrote proper 'letter' style replies. Over the last few years online dating disintegrated into trying to communicate with people who could only be bothered writing a few words at a time, and even then vowels were optional it seemed. And of course now we have Tinder where you get to decide without actually writing anything.

So even though short messages and swipes have taken over the world (and we're poorer for it in my opinion), I still love forums.

I write my forum posts with quill and ink then post them in to the mods to reproduce in the new fangled electronic format that is the fashion these days.

I do hope you do that at a standing-up Dickensian desk!!

I'd say 80% my posts are from a mobile. It's no trouble but I agree that using a tablet,which I now rarely do,is a pain. I gave my nexus 7 away. Updates killed it really. Went from snappy to useless.

Forums are good. I like them. I can't do twitter!

I only post when I am at a desktop. Tablets too annoying in terms of speed of typing (I touch type as I think on a desktop - laptop is like being spasticated).

I'd say 80% my posts are from a mobile. It's no trouble but I agree that using a tablet,which I now rarely do,is a pain. I gave my nexus 7 away. Updates killed it really. Went from snappy to useless.

It is easier from a mobile because of autocorrection. Oddly the predictive word tab was ten times better on Windows mobile to the heap of crap Android Im now using.

Its not just forums it seems to affect. I've listed things on eBay and I get stupid questions that are already answered in the very short description which I can only assume its because reading the description on the 'app' version of eBay is so bloody clunky.

A lot of forums are losing ground to Bookface, but Bookface can't do half as good a job of managing long discussions or technical howtos for example and trying to find a discussion from 2 days ago on Bookface? Forget it...

Someone should tell Ghostly that Riedquat has hacked his account.

Facebook was meant to herald the end of forums but as has been noted the reality of Facebook discussion is short shallow statements sprinkled with LOLs and Likes.

It's forums lite for morons with a five second attention span.

Facebook was meant to herald the end of forums but as has been noted the reality of Facebook discussion is short shallow statements sprinkled with LOLs and Likes.

A problem with a forum vs other social media is it tends to be draped around one, often quite narrow, subject that's been done to death.

I was almost driven mad whilst in hospital constantly hearing about people's FB pages. Even worse was one ward's TV that was continously on cr*p TV.

I was force fed Homes Under the Hammer, those property progs about the country or going to Oz/Nz and soaps. It was hellish.

When the TV news came on people would change channels. I felt that I was being tortured between the crap TV and the FB chit chat.

Forums are good. I like them. I can't do twitter!

What is the point of Twitter? I know I'm showing my age, but all I see is a bunch of misspelled sound bites when I look at it. ?

I haven't found the apostrophe on my new tablet yet. I must have another look. I mean, it must have one?

It's probably so up to the minute that it's anticipated the demise of the apostrophe and left it out entirely. ?

It's probably so up to the minute that it's anticipated the demise of the apostrophe and left it out entirely.

It's a cheapy chinese windows/android thing with a good quality screen. Not bad but the keyboard is a bit annoying, it doesn't move like the iPad one does.