House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fru-gal

Life Or The Continuation Of Consciousness After Death?

What do you think happens after you die? Is there an afterlife, do you think personal consciousness can survive the death of the body or do all our atoms get recycled into a new (most likely non-conscious) bit of matter? Anyone had an out of body experience or near death experience?

Not a clue. Law of conservation of matter: if a soul exists it probably carries on if it isn't cremated. Likely to be absorbed into a collective consciousness if there isn't a body?

I'm waiting for Daft Boy to send me a message from the other side as arranged. ?

As Mark Twain observed "i was dead for a billion years before i was born and it did not trouble me in the least". When a person undergoes a stroke or Alzhemiers they're personlity can change fundamentally and they can forget who they are, which personality gets to survive death?

By far them most convincing theory to me is simply non -existance after death.

Of course it is possible that this all just some sort of computer simulation and our personlities are continually backed up to be restored on death... no evidence for it though, plenty of evidence that our conscienceness evolved and resides in the cells that make up our brain and depend on oxygen to function...

There's no good reason that I can see to think that there's anything after death. Being dead is something we've all experienced, before we were born (or conceived). The odds seem to be massively in favour of being back to that, i.e. there's nothing, you cease to exist in any personal, direct way.

Someone once asked me how I can live with such a bleak view (putting aside me being a miserable git), which I found rather odd, what with the implication that wishful thinking should trumpt probability and analysis.

As Mark Twain observed "i was dead for a billion years before i was born and it did not trouble me in the least". When a person undergoes a stroke or Alzhemiers they're personlity can change fundamentally and they can forget who they are, which personality gets to survive death?

Of course it is possible that this all just some sort of computer simulation and our personlities are continually backed up to be restored on death... no evidence for it though, plenty of evidence that our conscienceness evolved and resides in the cells that make up our brain and depend on oxygen to function...

You make a good point about the continuity of personality. I'm certainly not who I was even 20 years ago - no stroke required!

If you meet your mum in the afterlife, will she be younger than you? Or the old biddy who departed this coil? For your sake? I imagine she'd resent the latter.

Most systems of enlightenment encourage adherents to eliminate the concept of ME altogether. In which case, problem solved: there is nothing to survive.

It's more interesting how these ideas would play out in the event of humans ever achieving very extended lifespans. How would you look back at "yourself" from 300 years ago?

And without change (growth) what use is longevity anyway? How many meals and w@nks do you need to have?

I think there is some argument that that kind of ennui is already afflicting Modern Man.

Not a clue. Law of conservation of matter: if a soul exists it probably carries on if it isn't cremated. Likely to be absorbed into a collective consciousness if there isn't a body?

I'm waiting for Daft Boy to send me a message from the other side as arranged.

The soul would have left the body before it is cremated... Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.

Do monkeys have souls? Is there a cockroach heaven? :lol:

Just darkness. Even if you did come back. If you can't remember what you were before then what's the difference?

I'm looking forward to it.... after a long, long life. ^_^

I have had several sleep paralysis episodes in my lifetime. I can recall one episode vividly when I was in my late teens floating to the ceiling and looking down on myself. Freaked me out!

Yes I had that! I am not sure what it meant!

Of course it is possible that this all just some sort of computer simulation and our personlities are continually backed up to be restored on death... no evidence for it though, plenty of evidence that our conscienceness evolved and resides in the cells that make up our brain and depend on oxygen to function...[/quote

At some point given enough computer power and scanning kit, you might be downloadable, but prior to that it is definitely game over.

But how does something physical (neurons or chemicals in the brain) produce something like consciousness? Anyone heard of the theory of biocentrism (that consciousness creates matter/the universe and not the other way around)?

I've never argued or debated this because I think that one as an individual has a very good idea, but like some other things (coincidence, luck) it's not advisable to examine it too closely.

But how does something physical (neurons or chemicals in the brain) produce something like consciousness? Anyone heard of the theory of biocentrism (that consciousness creates matter/the universe and not the other way around)?

Isn't that called solipsism, the belief thats ones own consciousness is the only thing we can be sure of existing?

interesting idea, again untestable and therefore rather "unhelpful"

I had a seizure 5 months after having a stroke.

One minute I was cooking chicken, woke up in hospital a couple of hours later.

The only thing is that my brain fixed itself and functions much better.

I have no fear of death....one minute alive, the next you`re dead.

We only need arms and legs to live on this gravitational world....just think one day we will no longer ever need a haircut or need to get dressed in the morning.....

One of the basic principals in physics is that energy can neither be created nor destroyed; rather, it transforms from one form to another.

So, could the same be true of life force energy? (or soul, for the religious / spiritual types ).

I think being dead will be fine. I won't miss this world. Right now I worry about being dead as I'll miss this world.

I do worry about the transition, as the four of the five I have witnessed have been awful.

Make the most of it while you can.

I don't think it is death that you have to worry about but rather the method and process of dying. Having been in hospital for a week, with people dying all around me, I know that is the thing to fear.