House Price Crash Forum

Lidl Newgate Heinz Knock-Off Brand

HOLA441
  • Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

One of the few branded products we do buy is Head And Shoulders shampoo. Farmfoods currently have 1L bottles for £5, with a nifty pump action lid, and appear from the labeling to be the result of some kind of grey market weirdness. So I bought ten. That's the family shampoo requirement taken care of for a number of years then....

234895.jpg?v=4?1453219966584%20=14532199

40p - job done

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

There is no real reason why paying more than £1 for a large bottle of mild shampoo would wash hair any better than a £4 bottle.......some of these more expensive shampoos put a film on the hair and over time another type is required to remove it to brighten the dullness.....dry, flyaway hair a small blob of conditioner any conditioner through the hair is all you need, rinse well in cool water......

If stuck, washing-up liquid or bubble bath/shower to wash, cooking oil/olive oil on ends to condition......beer, egg and lemon depending on hair type also good. ;)

HOLA447
HOLA448

I don't like paying too much for kidney beans. The 25p ones seem as good as the expensive Tesco ones. Same with tinned tomatos. :blink:

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I don't like paying too much for kidney beans. The 25p ones seem as good as the expensive Tesco ones. Same with tinned tomatos. :blink:

Some tinned tomatoes can be a bit liquid and there can be a lot of variation between varieties of the tomatoes that go into tins - sweetness, water content, flavour. Find some are pretty sharp at the cheaper end.

However with kidney beans, tinned corn and other veg I don't think I've ever noticed any difference.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

These tinned tomatoes are worth paying extra for, I tend to only buy them when they are on offer in Tescos but I stock up when they are. Sweet tomatoes, rich thick sauce, bellissimo!

6eae0ef189f6dfc2a7f840a62c26defa.jpg

These tinned tomatoes are worth paying extra for, I tend to only buy them when they are on offer in Tescos but I stock up when they are. Sweet tomatoes, rich thick sauce, bellissimo!

6eae0ef189f6dfc2a7f840a62c26defa.jpg

They could break the 31p HPC budget! And they are foreign!

HOLA4414

I cracked a can of the Newgate baked beans today and must report that - unlike their tomato soup - it was not up to Heinz standards.

On your recommendation I tried the tomato soup yesterday for lunch, as the wife and I popped in to Lidl after I'd picked her up from the doctors. Very tasty, but as I neglected to have any bread with it, not very filling. We also purchased 4 tins of Newgate beans for a quid; wife had them on toast for lunch yesterday and today, no complaints. Knowing what a princess she generally is I offered to buy her a 4-pack of Branstons Beans for £1.29- "oh no they're only beans, own brand will be fine thanks!" :D

I'm still chafing at having to pay 31p for a can of tomatoes (chopped or plum). I was too disorganised to buy loads last time it was Ramadan or Diwali when the big supermarkets bang them out at a quid for four tins. I did manage to acquire a crate of chickpeas though so my home made hummous is stil very much on.

HOLA4415

On your recommendation I tried the tomato soup yesterday for lunch, as the wife and I popped in to Lidl after I'd picked her up from the doctors. Very tasty, but as I neglected to have any bread with it, not very filling. We also purchased 4 tins of Newgate beans for a quid; wife had them on toast for lunch yesterday and today, no complaints. Knowing what a princess she generally is I offered to buy her a 4-pack of Branstons Beans for £1.29- "oh no they're only beans, own brand will be fine thanks!" :D

She's a keeper!

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Most of these soups are pretty salty though. Usually about 2g per can. Add a slice of bread and you're probably up to half your daily 6g salt limit. Then there's the sugar.

The sooner people stop buying processed foods with long shelf life, additives, flavourings and preservatives the better, better for health better for pockets, may take a bit of fore thought, planning and time but well worth it......

Tins and jars ok for a tin foil hat emergency stash.......whilst there still is seasonal fresh wash it, eat it, steam it, boil it, roast it, use it, freeze it,don't waste it or lose it, respect and use it. ;)

HOLA4420

Most of these soups are pretty salty though. Usually about 2g per can. Add a slice of bread and you're probably up to half your daily 6g salt limit. Then there's the sugar.

Thankfully, as I don't suffer from hypertension, I am not subject to limits on my salt consumption.

There is ~16g of sugar per tin of soup -- about the same as you'd get in 2 large oranges. Not a huge worry.

HOLA4421

How has the human race survived so long?

HOLA4422

Thankfully, as I don't suffer from hypertension, I am not subject to limits on my salt consumption.

There is ~16g of sugar per tin of soup -- about the same as you'd get in 2 large oranges. Not a huge worry.

Or just under half the sugar in a can of a coke...

A can of soup

A can of soup

A can of ******ing soup !!!

HOLA4423

Or just under half the sugar in a can of a coke...

A can of soup

A can of soup

A can of ******ing soup !!!

I'm not averse to the odd can of coke, but I regard it as I would a sweet, ie. Not for everyday consumption. Heinz tomato soup + bread probably also comes under that category. You're not a total sweet abstainer, are you?

HOLA4424

I seriously do not understand why people pay so much more for 'brands'

Washing powder - lidl's own vs Persil - I mean seriously, how much can go wrong?

The Almat stuff from Aldi bleaches clothes, that is how much can go wrong! The fruit and veg in Aldi is also shockingly bad, lots of nice other stuff though.

Wouldn't touch Pidl, their quality on most foodstuffs is poor in comparison with Aldi. Went to one Pidl which was virtually empty, not impressed with what we brought ( I would say Pidl is probably where Aldi was back in the 0' quality wise. The Aldi down the road at same time was rammed with customers in comparison

HOLA4425

The Almat stuff from Aldi bleaches clothes, that is how much can go wrong! The fruit and veg in Aldi is also shockingly bad, lots of nice other stuff though.

Wouldn't touch Pidl, their quality on most foodstuffs is poor in comparison with Aldi. Went to one Pidl which was virtually empty, not impressed with what we brought ( I would say Pidl is probably where Aldi was back in the 0' quality wise. The Aldi down the road at same time was rammed with customers in comparison

Okay - keep paying

Been using and eating aldi and lidl for years - be selective with fruit and veg - if you don't like the look of it, don't buy it. The price of fruit and veg in the mainstream supermarkets is nothing short of outrageous.

Archived