House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

workingpoor

Burkina Faso Terror Attack Splendid Hotel

Islamist militants are engaged in a gun battle with security forces outside a hotel in the capital of Burkina Faso, according to reports.

Witnesses said the gunmen stormed the hotel, burning cars outside and firing in the air to drive back crowds before security forces arrived, prompting an intense exchange of gunfire.

The Splendid Hotel, in a central area of the city, is regularly used by United Nations staff and westerners.

I wonder if the hotel is used by international aircrews?

I was just thinking that things had been strangely quiet today being a friday and all.

A cafe popular with westerners located opposite the hotel was also targeted by the attackers, AFP reported, citing an eyewitness.

Local Burkina 24 media has also reported gunshots on Avenue Kwameh Krumah in Ouagadougou.

Islamist militants .....

I was just thinking that things had been strangely quiet today being a friday and all.

Friday used to be a great day of the week.

Update:

20 killed in the Splendid Hotel

10 killed in the Cafe opposite the Hotel

63 hostages freed 33 of which are wounded.

The counter-assault wasn't launched until 5hrs after the attack began.

http://news.sky.com/story/1623694/hostages-freed-after-burkina-faso-hotel-attack

Robert Sangare the head of Yalgado Ouedraogo hospital in the city, told the AFP news agency that one European woman who was taken to his hospital said the gunmen appeared to target white people.

That's it - I am learning the Koran.

When I get asked by a masked gunman to recite something - I will do it perfectly - then once his back is turned assault him from behind , tear his weapon from him, shoot him, all the other attackers, save the hostages, then go back to his village and shag not only his 3 wives, but his sister, brother and uncle too. And maybe even his goat.

I shall be a hero amongst men.

They probably won't let you into to their country to get to the village though - they actually have an immigration policy.

This is still ongoing:

New attack at the Yibi Hotel

http://news.sky.com/story/1623694/new-assault-after-30-killed-in-burkina-attacks

Security forces are now trying to break a second siege at another hotel inside the capital, where gunmen are also thought to be holed up.

Injured witnesses said the attackers claimed to be from ISIS, but a local Al Qaeda affiliated group called al-Mourabitoun, has reportedly claimed the attack on the capital in West Africa, according to SITE Intelligence Group.

Al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb claimed responsibility for the attack, according to a statement released on an encrypted messaging app. The group said the fighters have killed as many as 30 hostages.

The group said it targeted Splendid Hotel because it is popular with foreigners, saying the attack as sent a message 'written by the heroes of Islam with their blood and body parts', according to The New York Times.

The statement was addressed to a foreign audience as 'the Cross-worshipers, the occupiers of our lands, the looters of our wealth and the abusers of our security', saying the attack was intended 'to punish the Cross-worshipers for their crimes against our people in Central Africa, Mali and other lands of the Muslims, and to avenge our Prophet, God's peace and blessings be upon him'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3401845/Reports-explosion-gun-battles-upmarket-tourist-hotel-capital-Burkina-Faso.html