House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Casual Observer

My Son Wants To Rent, Not Buy!

But we're anxious that he gets somewhere safe.

Can anyone recommend an area of London that has a good balance of reasonable rents and nice, safe area? He works near Liverpool St, but doesn't really have a fixed location in mind, other than he wants to live in London. He hopes to rent with 2 friends.

Can anyone recommend an area of London that has a good balance of reasonable rents and nice, safe area? He works near Liverpool St, but doesn't really have a fixed location in mind, other than he wants to live in London. He hopes to rent with 2 friends.

Any suggestions greatfully received!

How about Upper Leytonstone, Wanstead, Sth Woodford etc - reasonably safe areas which are only 15 minutes by central Line from Liverpool Street

Any suggestions greatfully received!

I'm afraid that the answer is just not that simple. Most areas have islands of quality and patches of filth. You have to search quite hard to find the good ones, but they are there.

It also depends on what else he is interested in, and the company he likes to keep! :)

Shenfield = 30minutes Express to Liv St

Mile end = lots of crap but some v nice victorian terraces good for sharers

Wapping = where I live. very safe very quiet. beautiful scenery but quite expensive

Mile end = lots of crap but some v nice victorian terraces good for sharers

yep, seen some beautiful places in Mile End, quite affordable too. Not thought of as a prestige area, but there are gems there.

Bow is not too bad (I lived in a shared house - next to the Bow quarter - for 3 years). Stratford I would definately give a miss. And I've heard good things about Leytonstone.

I live in East Ham now - and I feel safer than I did in Bow (touch wood) as the area I live in is mostly occupied by Asian families.

But it does take some getting used to - the ethnic minority communities are in the collective majority around here (and the shops and other facilities reflect this). Personally I like it as it means Oct-Jan isn't boring with Diwali, Eid, Halloween, Bonfire Night, New Year and finally Chinese New Year all being celebrated.

Staying safe is partly an attitude as well as the area though. A friend of a friend managed to get mugged walking from Islington Green to Angel on a busy Saturday night. Another has lived around the corner from murder mile all of their life and never been mugged.

Edited by greencat

Bow is not too bad (I lived in a shared house - next to the Bow quarter - for 3 years). Stratford I would definately give a miss. And I've heard good things about Leytonstone.

I live in East Ham now - and I feel safer than I did in Bow (touch wood) as the area I live in is mostly occupied by Asian families.

But it does take some getting used to - the ethnic minority communities are in the collective majority around here (and the shops and other facilities reflect this). Personally I like it as it means Oct-Jan isn't boring with Diwali, Eid, Halloween, Bonfire Night, New Year and finally Chinese New Year all being celebrated.

Staying safe is partly an attitude as well as the area though. A friend of a friend managed to get mugged walking from Islington Green to Angel on a busy Saturday night. Another has lived around the corner from murder mile all of their life and never been mugged.

Thanks everyone for all the helpful suggestions

Edited by Casual Observer

quite right. I've lived in some pretty ropey areas in my time and not had any trouble personally, although acquaintances of mine living in the same areas have been mithered no end

I think being 6'2" and wearing moody black jackets can help. Cowering and generally walking around like a frightened bunny wabbit just attracts trouble. Humans are just like dogs, they can smell fear!

Dalston - rent is cheap, area is "vibrant" but safer than they would have you believe, and if he really wants to save hard for that deposit, the 149 bus down to Liverpool Street (15 mins max) is ABSOLUTELY FREE ;) so no travel card

How about Upper Leytonstone, Wanstead, Sth Woodford etc - reasonably safe areas which are only 15 minutes by central Line from Liverpool Street

I used to live in Wanstead about 10 years ago and walked through Leytonstone every day to get to the tube. It's zone 3 and both areas used to be nice. Wanstead used to be lovely and Leytonstone was ok. I went back recently and I felt both had really gone downhill. However there did seem to be the start of some redevelopment in Leytonstone.

"somewhere safe"

Shepherds Bush is up and coming now- and ON THE CENTRAL LINE

Sorry, DB much as I hate to disagre with you, SB is not up and coming... it's always been a poor relation, and not safe to live in to boot.

Sth Woodford/Wanstead are quite "safe" (I grew up around there, kinda) and are convenient for Liv Street. I wouldn't want to live there myself, but they're not very exciting places to live. Shepherd's Bush is more my bag ;-)

If I were in your sons position I'd go for Shepherds Bush. Good connections, good pubs and a truly cosmopolitan place with a great social life. I'd much rather experience all that London has to offer than live in a dull dormitary area in zone 3.

Liverpool street station / 149 bus, brings back memories.

I lived in Tottenham and Edmonton then Enfield town.

Some friends still live there and want to get out, because

apparently, the crime situation is getting worse!

My mates and I were only attacked once in Edmonton,

Tottenham is a different matter entirely!

Go Ponders end or Enfield town, train line to Liverpool street

starts/stops there and I’ve had no trouble, plus it not bad for night life.

IMO... avoid Dalston, Tottenham, Edmonton, Wood green.

Your usage of the exclamation mark in your sentence “My Son Wants To Rent, Not Buy!” makes it sound like you believe this to be a bizarre and amazing thing for someone to want to do. Like it or lump it, this is now the way it is. Not a personal attack but the sooner your generation drops it’s ridiculous levels of housing greed the sooner his generation could afford to buy a home in a safe area.

Your usage of the exclamation mark in your sentence “My Son Wants To Rent, Not Buy!” makes it sound like you believe this to be a bizarre and amazing thing for someone to want to do. Like it or lump it, this is now the way it is. Not a personal attack but the sooner your generation drops it’s ridiculous levels of housing greed the sooner his generation could afford to buy a home in a safe area.

Not a personal attack but the sooner your generation drops it’s ridiculous levels of housing greed the sooner his generation could afford to buy a home in a safe area.

Idiot.

It would be just as ridiculous for me to call your generation greedy. Dont <40's ever sell houses for God's sake? And when they do, do they sell them for a third of the price that >40's do.

No under 30's with BTLs? Must be strange living in such a simple black and white world like you do, where the goodies and villains are so clearly defined.

Idiot.

It would be just as ridiculous for me to call your generation greedy. Dont <40's ever sell houses for God's sake? And when they do, do they sell them for a third of the price that >40's do.

No under 30's with BTLs? Must be strange living in such a simple black and white world like you do, where the goodies and villains are so clearly defined.

Like it or not there is a correlation.

<30's have no chance nowadays due to the greed of the >30s

Must be strange living in a world like you do where you don't see the link between your peer's greed and the compromised safety of your child.

Tw*t

Must be strange living in a world like you do where you don't see the link between your peer's greed and the compromised safety of your child.

Tw*t

Can you two stop scrapping please or I'll have to ask the mods to step in. Some of the greediest property-owners I know are in their early 30's; they are not babyboomers. It's not a question of age so much as whether you are a have or a have-not; property-owners tend to be bulls, wannabe property-owners tend to be bears. Casual Observer deserves respect for not conforming to this stereotype.

Tw*t

Interesting to see you didn't answer my questions, you just repeated the same unsubstantiated mantra. I know people younger than 30 who own several BTLs, I also know a 27 year old who's just made a big profit on the house he bought 2 years earlier - does that destroy your little conspiracy theory?

When I was my son's age (1975) there were dangerous places in London - the difference is, I didn't look for a class or generational warfare to understand it.

Come back when (if) you grow up.