House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ursus darling

Locatio, Location, Location

I haven't logged on here for a while, but had to post about what I have just witnessed.

I am currently watching location, location, location on channel 4+1.

£425,000 for a studio flat in Stoke Newington. Four hundred and twenty five thousand pounds for a studio flat in Stoke Newington!!!

I've been saying this madness can't carry on for over a decade now, but it gets more and more absurd.

NURSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I THINK I NEED MY MEDICATION!!!!

I haven't logged on here for a while, but had to post about what I have just witnessed.

£425,000 for a studio flat in Stoke Newington. Four hundred and twenty five thousand pounds for a studio flat in Stoke Newington!!!

I've been saying this madness can't carry on for over a decade now, but it gets more and more absurd.

I presume Krusty encouraged them to bid 10% over to secure this absolute bargain before an 'investor' spots it, but thankfully Phil stepped in and saved the day, negotiating a full 1% off with his fearsome skills.

I have to empathise with this.

A genuine question: after a decade do you now think that your initial analysis was wrong? Do you still expect prices to drop to pre-2005 levels?

I presume Krusty encouraged them to bid 10% over to secure this absolute bargain before an 'investor' spots it, but thankfully Phil stepped in and saved the day, negotiating a full 1% off with his fearsome skills.

Unfortunately I saw some of this.

Thinking about it now, having been reminded by this thread.

The thing that irks me about it is the way that they (phil and kirstie) have their little aside to the camera where they moan that they've got to deal with cretins that have *only* 400-odd or 300-odd thousand pounds to stitch themselves up with. "Oh-no. How hard are our jobs where we have to spend money other people don't have, on stuff that is sooo crap that we have to convince them it's worth what is being asked".

It's all relayed to the viewer in a manner that suggests that the potential buyer is just sooo unreasonable about sacrificing the next 20-plus-odd years of their future income. You, as the viewer, you wouldn't be that troublesome would you? You'd never make our jobs that hard would you? You'd just "trust us" to know that "it's worth it", wouldn't you?...

I wonder if phil an kirstie were in the position of a first time buyer these days, if they'd think it's all worth it at the prices being asked, if they were presented with a 425 thousand pound miniscule flat in the loft of a building in stoke newington? Would they live there?

I. Doubt. It (even if the salary of a niche TV programme presenter could finance it).

Slash rant. As it's said....

They were all left frustrated by late bidders upping the prices. I don't know what was worse the prices of the flats or the truly dreadful dresses Kirsty was wearing. They looked as if they were made out of 1970's hallucinogenic fabric by a blind seamstress.

I thought they looked more like recycled (or as Kirsty would say, in her truly dreadful and pointless arty/crafty show) upcycled carpets.

They ought to make a programme where krusty and Pill have to get a job and then live in various areas of the country. That would be worth watching.

Unfortunately I saw some of this.

Thinking about it now, having been reminded by this thread.

The thing that irks me about it is the way that they (phil and kirstie) have their little aside to the camera where they moan that they've got to deal with cretins that have *only* 400-odd or 300-odd thousand pounds to stitch themselves up with. "Oh-no. How hard are our jobs where we have to spend money other people don't have, on stuff that is sooo crap that we have to convince them it's worth what is being asked".

It's all relayed to the viewer in a manner that suggests that the potential buyer is just sooo unreasonable about sacrificing the next 20-plus-odd years of their future income. You, as the viewer, you wouldn't be that troublesome would you? You'd never make our jobs that hard would you? You'd just "trust us" to know that "it's worth it", wouldn't you?...

I wonder if phil an kirstie were in the position of a first time buyer these days, if they'd think it's all worth it at the prices being asked, if they were presented with a 425 thousand pound miniscule flat in the loft of a building in stoke newington? Would they live there?

I. Doubt. It (even if the salary of a niche TV programme presenter could finance it).

Slash rant. As it's said....

This is a very important point, I think. This programme easily qualifies as subtle mind control for the masses, imho, and I think you've hit on one of the psychological mechanisms by which it derives its power. Of course it's about normalising ridiculous bubble prices, even claiming them to be bargains to be 'snapped up' before you 'miss the boat' (all the classic memes) etc, but it's also the way in which viewers are encouraged to either feel jealous of the savvy couples who 'succeed' buying the dream, or otherwise learn a lesson from observing the 'losers' who don't have the courage to bid high enough to secure that dream (the notion that anything might have been overpriced and a lucky escape for the would-be buyers is never even entertained). Disgusting programme.

Back in the day I enjoyed watching it, but now I have no idea how they keep a straight face when telling the prospective buyers the asking price. I had to turn over last night as I just couldn't stop swearing at the tv and my other half was having none of it, but really, just.......wow.....some of those places, especially the tiny attic flat in Stoke Newington (!) for £425k and the lady trying her best to convince herself it was worth paying because it was on the "cute" high street :rolleyes:

If the 50% crash doesn't materialise for whatever reason by 2020 i'm out of here!

If the 50% crash doesn't materialise for whatever reason by 2020 i'm out of here!

I'm having similar thoughts. Not sure where we'd go, but almost anywhere will likely offer more for less than the UK.

This is a very important point, I think. This programme easily qualifies as subtle mind control for the masses, imho, and I think you've hit on one of the psychological mechanisms by which it derives its power. Of course it's about normalising ridiculous bubble prices, even claiming them to be bargains to be 'snapped up' before you 'miss the boat' (all the classic memes) etc, but it's also the way in which viewers are encouraged to either feel jealous of the savvy couples who 'succeed' buying the dream, or otherwise learn a lesson from observing the 'losers' who don't have the courage to bid high enough to secure that dream (the notion that anything might have been overpriced and a lucky escape for the would-be buyers is never even entertained). Disgusting programme.

It was a cramped attic with sloping ceilings in which you couldn't swing a cat. :D

I've a feeling TPTB have encouraged this programme as it's a way of persuading people to buy all the old Victorian housing stock which has "features" and to bid up the prices too so that all the grotty housing in the UK gets improved on the cheap. In my experience (learnt the hard way) Victorian properties are money pits and unless you are good at DIY better left alone. Every job you do costs twice as much and takes twice as long as you expect. They also cost far more to run ie heat than a modern well-insulated and double-glazed property.

At least Sarah Beeny was more practical about it whereas Krusty always goes on about knocking down walls etc but she doesn't go near any of the "work" herself. Mind you I have genuine admiration for people who do take on old property and do a good restoration job on it such as the guy in the following programme with George Clarke who did up an old railway station.

Disgusting programme.

That's it. Summed up in two words.

What actually is the purpose of it? How is it even qualified as entertainment?! Why is it even on television?

Is there any (impartial) information contained within that the average person *might* be able to glean some valuable knowledge from? Is it just an hour of economy boosting "it's OK, look!, people on TV also don't know what a mortgage is and how it works, just like, you - they aspire to borrow half a mil, and that makes them successful, it's OK for you to do too..." crap?

Apart from the likes of here, I don't see these sorts of thing discussed, let alone challenged.

So depressing.

I think debt, mortgage or otherwise, needs to be popularised as being such a bad thing. If that were an opinion to take hold with people, that would be beneficial for all.

there was a slightly more 'sensible' episode last week which was outside London - Leeds and environs I think - Chapel Allerton is apparently where it is all happening with the 'buzz' ^_^

Prices insane but of a lower order

Looks as if these programs were made in the Summer so maybe sense is now prevailing.

It's a cheap program to make that fills up prime time.

Can be used as a repeat filler ad infinitum.

Fantasy Island was nearer reality than this pile of property poo.

2 minutes in to the latest episode and 2 City workers who are remortgaging London homes to buy a £1.5m house in Kent are saying that the equity in their homes that are financing this was gained through "hard graft"

How is HPI hard graft?

Back in the day I enjoyed watching it, but now I have no idea how they keep a straight face when telling the prospective buyers the asking price. I had to turn over last night as I just couldn't stop swearing at the tv and my other half was having none of it, but really, just.......wow.....some of those places, especially the tiny attic flat in Stoke Newington (!) for £425k and the lady trying her best to convince herself it was worth paying because it was on the "cute" high street :rolleyes:

50% crash?? eh, come on, would really see yourself paying even 212k? I know I wouldn't even look around that hobble for half the money. Bubble, there's no bubble here because it's so big we're inside it.

50% crash?? eh, come on, would really see yourself paying even 212k? I know I wouldn't even look around that hobble for half the money. Bubble, there's no bubble here because it's so big we're inside it.

Agreed. A 90% crash is needed now. :lol:

:(

Edited by beccles

I just couldn't believe how thick they seemed for people that had amassed 1.5 million quid (OK not amassed, but the bank is up for giving it to them)

This amazes me with most of these property shows it never fails to amaze me how many thick and talentless people have access to such apparently huge budgets.

This amazes me with most of these property shows it never fails to amaze me how many thick and talentless people have access to such apparently huge budgets.

+1

Emotional intelligence, contacts, good at process

I'm sort of inoculated to it now. I find the show quite amusing: as predictable as a 1960s police serial. Yesterday's LLL episode had a classic Kirstie moment when she advised the buyers to offer the asking price. When it was accepted this was taken as some sort of win for the buyers and an appreciation of La K's skill...

Phil was a bit miffed at the highend couple who offered 1.4 for a 1.6m house. He obviously felt that 1.599,999 was a more realistic approach and the program said "the final price was confidential till completion, but closer to 1,6 than 1.4." I bet it was still lower than Phil would have advised offering!

Both houses looked OK. I wonder how the the highend couple will enjoy a 30min car journey to sevenoaks and then the train but their new house was pleasant, if isolated.