House Price Crash Forum
Fairyland

Why Are Brits So Obsessed With Buying Their Own Homes?

If there’s such a thing as a British dream, it’s to own the roof over your head – and then sell it for a stonking profit. This seems a bit odd if you’re a foreigner.

They're not.

It's the rich 1%-ers who a profiting masisvely grom a huge pyramid structured markert that push the message down everyone's throats that we are obsessed with houses. It's quite sickening.

For instance, I read yesterday that the couple who won 33Million on the lottery said, "i'd like a nice pair of shoes", which I think makes a good headline. Talk sport went with "would like to buy a nice house in the country".

Talk about a hidden agenda

Eg Landlord totally unaware of key responsibilities regarding accidental damage to fabric of building, insurance doesn't cover it (due to ignorance/cheapness) - nevermind, just invoice the tenant.

Don't like it? Want to exercise your legal rights, as you might do if Tesco tried to make you buy a bottle of wine you accidentally knocked off a shelf? Off you go, here's an S21.

....because Brits like to be in charge, in control........an English Man's home is his castle.....freedom to roam, freedom to choose, empowerment.

Renting with the SH*T regulation tenants have in this country today (there only to protect the lenders), there is little security and belonging you are beholden to others who indirectly have control over your destiny. ;)

I can quite understand why the general populous end up mortgaging themselves to the hilt instead of renting privately. I, like many others, do resent paying over the odds for a mediocre home where the landlord does sweet f'k all to put things right and run the risk of a Sec. 21 if one reports too many faults.

I can quite understand why the general populous end up mortgaging themselves to the hilt instead of renting privately. I, like many others, do resent paying over the odds for a mediocre home where the landlord does sweet f'k all to put things right and run the risk of a Sec. 21 if one reports too many faults.

I buy not because I want to make money....that is the last thing I would want, I buy because it gives me freedom, control and choices.........this country treats tenants very poorly, that is why people want to buy..........I have no problem with paying monthly to rent the same as paying monthly to buy......except in the UK buyers are given more protection for some reason than renters.....maybe they think renters are second class citizens and can't be trusted.....not good, not healthy and very bad for the economy and future well being and peace of the country......

That article is very insular, the writer does not seem to realize that many nationalities like owning their own home it maybe less desirable in France than here but it is not in Spain etc.

Then again what do you expect from the Guardian (or any other paper).

Because you get effing rinsed far too often when privately renting, for a start.

Renting is liken to a pay day loan.......renters are often ripped of by those that are happy to exploit their vulnerability......the poor with the least will pay the most. ;)

because being a rentier is easier than actually working for a living. And now the entire economy is setup to be rentier friendly. Until......

They're not.

It's the rich 1%-ers who a profiting masisvely grom a huge pyramid structured markert that push the message down everyone's throats that we are obsessed with houses. It's quite sickening.

For instance, I read yesterday that the couple who won 33Million on the lottery said, "i'd like a nice pair of shoes", which I think makes a good headline. Talk sport went with "would like to buy a nice house in the country".

Talk about a hidden agenda

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2159302/EuroMillions-winners-Colin-Christine-Weir-splash-luxury-indoor-swimming-pool-jacuzzi-mansion.html

Reminds me of an anecdote re. the record lottery winners in the link above. My parents live near their town. Small place by the sea that has seen better days.

TV person interviewed them live the day after their win. (I paraphrase).

Q. "So with £161 million , you will be looking to move from your semi-detached. What could you buy in Largs ?"

A. (by the bloke). "Largs".

Stunned silence and a big smile on his face. :D:D

Because the deal for renters in the UK is terrible:

Very few rights, most or all of the property tax burden, and few powers to enforce landlords to act.

In most other OECD countries, it is property owners, not renters, who pay taxes (eg on capital gains, or municipal taxes).

....because Brits like to be in charge, in control........an English Man's home is his castle.....freedom to roam, freedom to choose, empowerment.

Renting with the SH*T regulation tenants have in this country today (there only to protect the lenders), there is little security and belonging you are beholden to others who indirectly have control over your destiny. ;)

Exactly this. To be free of interference from others.

The fear that was driving me to looking to buy was the knowledge that my savings are getting devalued year by year. There's no real way to save for retirement that joe average uses. So you spend your entire working life 'paying off the house'.

Exactly this. To be free of interference from others.

There is something in this. Widespread owner occupying is a relatively recent phenomenon. For centuries ours was a feudal society where the landlord wielded huge power over tenants.

We haven't quite gone back to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Droit_du_seigneur*yet but we have certainly regressed.

* There are probably some on Tribes/118 who advocate a return to these good old days.

This content is sponsored by Lloyds.

'roaring economy', indeed. Crashing and burning more like.

Yes that last bit undermined the article a tad.

It's also worth pointing out how little you get for your money when buying, due to the bubble - it seems that as its debt/mortgage somehow it's not real money. Maybe it isn't...

Edited by pig

Because there's no financially prudent alternative

Of course there is. There's a million and one ways to live your life without paying down a loan on a pile of bricks. Many of them are a more sustainable, prudent way of living too. You just have to live a different life to the other idiots, but again, most people are incapable of comprehending any asset other than 'property'. Suits me just fine.