House Price Crash Forum

Pmq Reporting

HOLA441

"He also apparently solved Linda’s dilemma by claiming that pensioners were not liable for the bedroom tax."

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jan/13/cameron-v-corbyn-pmqs-verdict-conservative-government-housing-record

"In truth, the Tory record on home ownership is poor (Cameron ignored the question about the rate of decline), and Corbyn’s success is largely driven by the fury of young people (especially in London) who have no chance of buying a home, but worryingly Cameron comfortably bested him on this topic."

Who on earth has written this? Has the guardian been taken over by the Corybnites?

HOLA442

I don't get what you mean about it sounding like Corbynites have taken over?

"the prime minister soon got the upper hand with a strong rhetorical point"

"He (Cameron) also apparently solved Linda’s dilemma"

"Cameron comfortably bested him on this topic"

Hardly sounds like they are cheering Corbyn on!

Sounds like they are waving blue flags in this article (after begrudgingly saying that Corbyn got off to a good start in this PMQs)

Since the leadership race started The Guardian has been embarrassingly anti-Corbyn in virtually everything they have written,

most of their regular columnists seem to despise him because he reminds them of how Blue Labour they all are.

Occasionally they let Alex Jones write something positive for "balance".

Edited by Bear Necessities

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

The feigned indignation in the comments section on the Guardian is hilarious and delicious. I know I shouldn't enjoy it but it's brilliant fun to see the left in such turmoil over someone so clearly unelectable.

Problem is he did get elected.

If Cameron is getting a free run with the main stream media and PMQs are routinely avoided with rhetoric then no wonder they're miffed - I'm also hacked off with the whole situation.

Sounds an interesting PMQ though - will defo give it a watch. At least he won't get a free run on this site...

HOLA446
HOLA447

I don't get what you mean about it sounding like Corbynites have taken over?

"the prime minister soon got the upper hand with a strong rhetorical point"

"He (Cameron) also apparently solved Linda’s dilemma"

"Cameron comfortably bested him on this topic"

Hardly sounds like they are cheering Corbyn on!

Sounds like they are waving blue flags in this article (after begrudgingly saying that Corbyn got off to a good start in this PMQs)

Since the leadership race started The Guardian has been embarrassingly anti-Corbyn in virtually everything they have written,

most of their regular columnists seem to despise him because he reminds them of how Blue Labour they all are.

Occasionally they let Alex Jones write something positive for "balance".

"He also apparently solved Linda’s dilemma by claiming that pensioners were not liable for the bedroom tax."

"In truth, the Tory record on home ownership is poor (Cameron ignored the question about the rate of decline), and Corbyn’s success is largely driven by the fury of young people (especially in London) who have no chance of buying a home, but worryingly Cameron comfortably bested him on this topic."

He either solved it or didn't. To say he apparently did so is silly.

Claiming implies probably not true.

Saying the tories have a poor record on homeownership (like this is a bad thing to have a good record on home ownership), and then Cameron ignored the question implies Cameron is hiding something (Which they all do)

but use of the word worryingly implies there's something wrong with the PM being able to out-talk Corbyn.

HOLA448

but use of the word worryingly implies there's something wrong with the PM being able to out-talk Corbyn.

I suppose for Corbyn, there is.

And for all of us who'd like to see some fairness in the housing market, too. If the Leader of the Opposition can't win an argument on housing against the government of a country where first time buyers face 9.1x salary multiples and require a 40% government loan to buy a studio flat then we're ******ed.

This is the one topic where Cameron should be convincingly losing the argument. Instead we get reporting which emphasises his statistic about deposit requirements (as if 95% mortgages and help to buy and shared ownership were a good thing!).

If I was Corbyn I would have challenged Cameron on shared ownership, rather than letting him use it as a counterargument. For example, what percentage of his home does Cameron own? Does he really expect that first time buyers should settle for less than 100% of a house?

HOLA449

Corbyn's utter pathetic attempts are sort of explainable by him having the whole picture to "rule" over. What amazed me was the Housing Minister (?), Brandon Lewis on DP yesterday - he was terrible, terrible, terrible and embarrassingly poor. Bad policies combined with Village Idiots have created an open door. With Corbyn "in charge" they cannot even hit a barn door. We are screwed big time.

HOLA4410

Well this is interesting.

I don't know if I'm watching the wrong PMQ but overall Cameron sounded shrill, hysterical and generally unable to answer the questions. Having said that the Housing Bill and existing government housing policies seem worse to me than Corbyn has actually made out - did Corbyn actually make the best use of all 6 questions ?

The Mirror reported advantage Corbyn together with a suspiciously high voter endorsement in the 90% range.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/pmqs-recap-watch-jeremy-corbyn-7170851

I was left with the vague sense that the housing bill is inadequate. On reflection it seemed to be <increasing insecurity of the poor, shovelling tax payers money at a few upper middle income>. Perhaps that's the sort of sound bite Corbyn was missing ?

Edited by pig

HOLA4411