House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crashmonitor

English National Anthem

Either 'God Save the Queen' by the Sex Pistols, 'Bloodsport for All' by Carter USM or 'Soul Limbo' by Booker T and the MGs.

In fact thinking about it there really is no contest. Soul Limbo should be a shoo-in.

I cant get why anyone wouldnt want Land of Hope and Glory. Fantastic rousing upbeat tune. Exactly what an anthem should be like.

If the English dont want it I think us Jocks should nab it. Flower of Scotland is a dirge.

In terms of the best - French and Russian are tremendous. When I hear them they make me want to suck off Putin whilst Hollande bangs me from behind whilst Sturgeon looks on jealously.

I cant get why anyone wouldnt want Land of Hope and Glory. Fantastic rousing upbeat tune. Exactly what an anthem should be like.

Quite agree, problem with Jerusalem is it isn't anywhere near rousing enough and doesn't get going (if at all) until the last part.

Land of Hope and Glory is upbeat from the off and easy to cut short, start at any point and so anthem/podium friendly.

Prefer Jerusalem. The music for Land of Hope and Glory doesn't have as much dignity. On the other hand it also doesn't have people getting stuck trying to get to the low notes.

Yep rousing stuff. Always reminds me of an episode of It Aint Half Hot Mum where the theatrical troop use this one as their finale. Trouble is it is to Scottish troops and they start a riot.

If the English dont want it I think us Jocks should nab it. Flower of Scotland is a dirge.

In terms of the best - French and Russian are tremendous. When I hear them they make me want to suck off Putin whilst Hollande bangs me from behind whilst Sturgeon looks on jealously.

Until recently it was the only contender and The Last Night of the Proms made sure of that.

Then we got the cricket and rugby thing and the realisation dawned that the words of William Blake and the melody to Jerusalem were so much better. Had the experience of this at a test match, very inspiring.

Yep rousing stuff. Always reminds me of an episode of It Aint Half Hot Mum where the theatrical troop use this one as their finale. Trouble is it is to Scottish troops and they start a riot.

Aye, while I'm sure most individual Scots are not really fussed, play that to two or more of us and we'll wreck the joint :D

Actually, thinking about it, what about...

p.s. I'm not looking for a barny, I DO like this, and the funny thing is, it STILL applies to a certain class of Army officer.

p.s. I'm not looking for a barny,

Heh. Had to look up above the suggested song to see it had been posted by a jock. Looked like a perfectly reasonable suggestion to this sassenach.

(at least, provided the jock in question would take a bit of ribbing the other way ;) )

Agreed, I'd add the Italian national anthem into the mix as well.

You can't beat Land of my Fathers, sorry guys...